Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Show | RTE Radio 1 | Sundays 6-7

Options
  • 15-10-2010 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

There's a new history series starting every Sunday on RTE Radio 1. First episode is on Sunday 24th October:

Can't find too much information on it yet, only this:

http://twitter.com/#!/RTEHistoryShow

Hopefully it will be good & will be available for download as a podcast. Probably in a similar vein to Newstalk's Talking History. They must be trying to tap into that Sunday evening History demographic :confused:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Is it on a sunday evening? I wish they'd programme these shows at a time when I'm actually in the car commuting, I never listen to radio otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭PatsytheNazi

Denerick wrote: »
    Is it on a sunday evening? I wish they'd programme these shows at a time when I'm actually in the car commuting, I never listen to radio otherwise.
    Unfortunately the same with myself. Still if you think of it this might be worth a listen to and also Newstalk's Talking History as they are infinetly better than the muck that's on the 'History' channell these days :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

I used to work in a small shop on sunday evenings and had Newstalk Talking History on the radio all the time. Much better than 2fm or any of the other muck the boss used to make us put on any time he was about.

While we're on it, BBC Radio 4 does some great history documentaries, a very good channel overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭rcs

I'm the same, never listen to the radio other when commuting. I usually podcast them & then listen to them in the car using an FM Tuner.

Talking History is very good, but they only podcast one topic (about 40min) every week from a 2 hour show. Hopefully the RTE show will be available for download as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

It's awful. Myles Dungan turns RTEs flagship current affairs show (Today with Pat Kenny) into a second rate arts show when he stands in for Pat. Two weeks into the "History Show" and he is already discussing poems, films, and how to look good in a TV debate. A discussion on an exhibition about Hitler was dominated by questions on the reaction to the exhibit rather than the history of the topic. A segment I thought was going to be about the Battle of Marathon was actually about why the modern Marathon is the length it is (something to do with a royal box). To be fair there is a good segment on the 1641 Depositions but that was because the participants wanted to talk about history and ignored Myles.

I'm sure he is a nice guy but RTE need to stick him on an arts show on Lyric FM and leave him there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

touts wrote: »
    It's awful. Myles Dungan turns RTEs flagship current affairs show (Today with Pat Kenny) into a second rate arts show when he stands in for Pat. Two weeks into the "History Show" and he is already discussing poems, films, and how to look good in a TV debate. A discussion on an exhibition about Hitler was dominated by questions on the reaction to the exhibit rather than the history of the topic. A segment I thought was going to be about the Battle of Marathon was actually about why the modern Marathon is the length it is (something to do with a royal box). To be fair there is a good segment on the 1641 Depositions but that was because the participants wanted to talk about history and ignored Myles.

I'm sure he is a nice guy but RTE need to stick him on an arts show on Lyric FM and leave him there.

Myles has always been very much in the Anglo-American/HistoryChannel mode in his perspective on history: military history is usually dominant.

I would love a great series on social history. If anybody knows where I could find one, I'd be grateful.

PS: Please don't dump any more RTÉ 1 "personalities" on to Lyric. Lyric listeners already have to endure that chatterbox Gay Byrne and the other chatterbox Marty Whelan. Lyric should be a break from such people, a place of calm on the airwaves. It's distinctiveness is currently being badly damaged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

I heard the show and it is genuinely awful - which is a pity.

Newstalks History Show would be a very hard act to follow.

Advertisement