Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

15-11-2018, 12:38   #1
JesusRef

Discover when a farm was purchased

Is it possible to find out when an Irish Farm was purchased by a tenent from the Landlord in the late 1800's or early 1900's?

The property is on Griffiths evaluation and details of the tenant and landlord are present,
.Thanks
Advertisement
15-11-2018, 14:09   #2
pinkypinky

You can use the records in the Valuation office to see when the rate payer changed hands, but the tenant might have been paying them anyway.

Only the Land Commission will have the definite records but they are notoriously difficult to get into. If it is your own family land, they might supply details.

Here are some details on them and also John Grenham's comments from a few years ago.
(5) thanks from:
15-11-2018, 21:03   #3
Jellybaby1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkypinky View Post
You can use the records in the Valuation office to see when the rate payer changed hands, but the tenant might have been paying them anyway.

Only the Land Commission will have the definite records but they are notoriously difficult to get into. If it is your own family land, they might supply details.

Here are some details on them and also John Grenham's comments from a few years ago.

That makes very interesting reading. I hope those records are in a protected environment and not in cardboard boxes in a warehouse!! Or better, I hope they are being digitised! Oh what a treasure to have.
15-11-2018, 23:27   #4
pinkypinky

I suspect nothing at all is being done with them.
I did hear of a phd student who got access a couple of years back but don't know how.
16-11-2018, 23:04   #5
tabbey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybaby1 View Post
I hope those records are in a protected environment and not in cardboard boxes in a warehouse!!
It is a warehouse. (in Portlaoise), but other venues have been mentioned also, probably worse than warehouse standard.

Whether they are in boxes, few people can say.

It is thought that the reason for witholding these records, is because information in them could result in family disputes relating to who got the land.

Irish memories about land ownership are very long, certainly many generations.

Last edited by tabbey; 16-11-2018 at 23:10.
Advertisement
16-11-2018, 23:52   #6
Hermy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabbey View Post
It is thought that the reason for witholding these records, is because information in them could result in family disputes relating to who got the land.
In other words people might learn the truth.

Much the same boat myself being adopted.

I wonder is there some other reason why they don't want the records released, like maybe there were certain irregular practices went on back in the day resulting in the wrong people getting the land?
17-11-2018, 11:59   #7
pinkypinky

I think it probably comes down to a lack of resources and no one interested enough to force the issue.
18-11-2018, 00:55   #8
Hermy

You're probably right Pinky but I dare say there's a few skeletons waiting to be discovered in those records all the same.
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion