Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

16-07-2015, 10:34   #61
montgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeannRua View Post
The second and third words are 'Pastor bap.' I think the first word mostly reads 'Inf.' This is a guess: inf is used as an abbreviation of infrascriptus so it would mean 'The undersigned priest baptised...' Think you're right about 'E de G.'
Many thanks for that.

I've just read that the church in Ballyorgan wasn't built until 1857. However, "according to Begley, the old parish of Darragh (now Glenroe) included Farrihy, Kildorrery and Mullahy. All three of these places are in the county of Cork" so might explain why the priest recorded the church where the baptism took place.
Advertisement
21-07-2015, 14:48   #62
Thomas from Presence

Help! "Anne Daughter of Ptk XXXXX and Mary Hoey" - can anyone make out Patrick's surname?

21-07-2015, 14:54   #63
montgo

Perhaps could be Nowlan? Difficult to read.
Thanks from:
21-07-2015, 15:10   #64
Thomas from Presence

Quote:
Originally Posted by montgo View Post
Perhaps could be Nowlan? Difficult to read.

Perfect. I was hoping to find the RootsIreland transcription that corresponded as I'm manually looking at sponsors and mothers name and wanted their second opinion (since you can't search either of those names on their databases...). They were working off the original books so after a while to me everything looks like "Brunkard" but they can be more correct.

Thank you for your help!
26-07-2015, 16:38   #65
RGM

In looking for a marriage, I found the groom's name at an appropriate date, but instead of listing a marriage it just says "Certificate to (groom's name)."

What does that mean?
Advertisement
26-07-2015, 17:32   #66
montgo

Has anyone else noticed that Roots Ireland may have had a different/copy of some of the records or else the records were easier to decipher when their transcriptions were done?

Look at the last baptism record for June 1871.

Roots have the sponsors as John McCarthy & Catherine O'Meara (Kate Mara) and I'm confident that those names are correct

I have seen other instances where it is impossible to decipher a name but yet Roots apparently have the correct name.
26-07-2015, 17:57   #67
Hermy

I think Roots were looking at the original books rather than just the scans.
26-07-2015, 19:02   #68
montgo

Thx, Hermy. Surely, the original Parish registers are still held by the parish priests locally. I had thought that the transcriptions were done back in the 70s/80s directly from the films.
26-07-2015, 19:45   #69
pinkypinky

No, they were done from the original books in the 70s/80s.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
26-07-2015, 21:02   #70
montgo

Thanks. Were the Parish registers sent to a central location (each Diocese) or done locally?
26-07-2015, 21:51   #71
P. Breathnach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGM View Post
In looking for a marriage, I found the groom's name at an appropriate date, but instead of listing a marriage it just says "Certificate to (groom's name)."

What does that mean?
Do you know if it was the groom's home parish?

My guess is that the marriage took place elsewhere, and the record was simply to have a record in the parish that he was married (and thus not free to marry somebody else).
Thanks from:
26-07-2015, 22:20   #72
pinkypinky

Quote:
Thanks. Were the Parish registers sent to a central location (each Diocese) or done locally?
I'm not 100% but I think they were done individually, without any links between separate groups.
(2) thanks from:
27-07-2015, 07:46   #73
shanew

Quote:
Each parish kept it's own registers, usually at the parish church. Any recordable event taking place in Chapels of ease of the parish should also have been noted in this. Sometimes registers turn up for chapels of ease. I've heard the some priests noted baptisms and marriage in notebooks and even scraps of paper and transferred the details these to the registers later.

Church of England parishes in England and presumably Wales did send copies of register details to the Diocese, which are often available as what's referred to as Bishop's transcripts, which can be useful where there are gaps in records etc. As far as I know the Church of Ireland didn't do this.
Thanks from:
27-07-2015, 08:37   #74
cat_r

This thread may get busier 😃 John Grenham has a link to it in his column in today's Irish Times

www. irishtimes.com/culture/heritage/irish-roots-reactions-to-the-national-library-s-parish-registers-site-1.2291108
(remove the space after www)
(3) thanks from:
28-07-2015, 09:37   #75
The Kurgan

Have been looking for the Baptism record of an Anastasia Evoy / Anty Evoy (shorthand) in Taghmon Parish and came across the following Baptism December 1823.
Childs name looks to be Anastasia Evoy , can anyone with an eagle eye have a shot at the Parents Names. ??

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clipboard01.jpg (29.5 KB, 172 views)

Last edited by The Kurgan; 28-07-2015 at 09:37. Reason: Typo

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion