Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earth For light fittings/Double insulated

Options
  • 01-12-2020 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Recently purchased a property and have had an electrician around for a look and to do some work. He has said the lighting circuits aren't earthed. Typical for this period house (70s).

We would like to put in some nicer metallic fittings. Something similar to the linked. https://www.darlighting.co.uk/governor-3-light-bar-antique-chrome-antique-brass-gov0361.html

Am I correct that in Ireland we can fit double insulated metal fixings without an earthing? He has indicated that all metal fittings need earthed, but I understood this is not the case in double insulated fittings? Just looking for some clarification. Obviously he is the professional, but I am just unsure on his opinion.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Am I correct that in Ireland we can fit double insulated metal fixings without an earthing?

Double insulated devices do not require an earth and generally do not have an earth terminal.

However it would be best to rewire a home that was wired in the seventies. Regardless of how well it was wired standrads have improved significantly and modern electrical loads are generally far higher than what the original wiring would have been designed to safley handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭mistermatthew

Thankyou so much for your help,

Obviously rewiring would be a big job and seriously impactful on the property in both cost and disturbance. Is it a danger as is now, or just a recommended practice? I assume most semi d estates based in ireland built in the 70s haven't been rewired?

Regarding lighting loads, with the advent of LED lighting would the loading on lighting runs not be substantially less?

The house is some of it wired to modern standard (extension, showers etc.) but the older section is from the 70s. All the high powered units (washing machine, dryer, shower, fridge, microwaves) are on these newer runs and earths.

2011 wrote: »
    Double insulated devices do not require an earth and generally do not have an earth terminal.

However it would be best to rewire a home that was wired in the seventies. Regardless of how well it was wired standrads have improved significantly and modern electrical loads are generally far higher than what the original wiring would have been designed to safley handle.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Obviously rewiring would be a big job and seriously impactful on the property in both cost and disturbance.

Yes a rewire can be expensive and disruptive. On the flip side it may save your life, someone else’s and it may prevent the entire property from burning down. So there is that too :)

Is it a danger as is now, or just a recommended practice?

It could be leathal right now, hard to say without looking at it.
    I assume most semi d estates based in ireland built in the 70s haven't been rewired?

So what? Someone else taking a risk does nothing to diminish your risk.
    Regarding lighting loads, with the advent of LED lighting would the loading on lighting runs not be substantially less?

Generally yes. However with the advent of instantaneous showers, double ovens, microwaves, induction hobs, tumble dryers etc... overall the loading on the installation has dramatically increased.
    The house is some of it wired to modern standard (extension, showers etc.) but the older section is from the 70s. All the high powered units (washing machine, dryer, shower, fridge, microwaves) are on these newer runs and earths.

How about the parts that they have in common? Such as the meter tails? What is the bonding and are the RCDs A type or missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭mistermatthew

Thanks for that. It is good to get your input.

Obviously I'm not an electrician, but one has advised on inspection me that he does not feel like it needs a rewire. However he is installing some updated sockets, light fittings etc. and will get an idea on wiring condition he has advised me when he is doing this.

I understand that there is a safety aspect, but I can only go with what I am being advised.

If we are advised on inspection that it needs rewires we will cross that bridge then.
    2011 wrote: »
    Yes a rewire can be expensive and disruptive. On the flip side it may save your life, someone else’s and it may prevent the entire property from burning down. So there is that too :)

It could be leathal right now, hard to say without looking at it.

So what? Someone else taking a risk does nothing to diminish your risk.

Generally yes. However with the advent of instantaneous showers, double ovens, microwaves, induction hobs, tumble dryers etc... overall the loading on the installation has dramatically increased.

How about the parts that they have in common? Such as the meter tails? What is the bonding and are the RCDs A type or missing?

Advertisement