Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extractor fan via existing chimney flu

Options
  • 30-11-2020 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Our house is mid terrace and has previously been extended the full width of the house. The kitchen was put in the extension. We’re now thinking of relocating our kitchen to the “middle” room of the house, and possibly breaking out the former back wall of the house to create an open plan kitchen/living/dining area.
    Does anyone know of it is possible to use an existing chimney to fit the extractor fan to? This would save having to find a route out either to the front or back of the house via existing floors and ceilings.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

NO, for a variety of reasons.
    The first assuming a two story house is that the cold stack effect will not be over come by a extract fan.
    The second is that the mixture of grease etc will condense on the walls of the chimney, creating all sorts of biohazard

You could consider lining the flue and fit a Chinese take away type fan on the top of the chimney but the noise for the neighbours would be pretty intolerable, and thats before the seagulls start feasting on the congealed grease on top of the chimney

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If you have suspended floors you can run a duct under the floor to exit out the back.

Alternatively get a recirculating "extractor" which doesn't require venting to the outside. They're normal now for airtight new builds.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Kincora2017

Thanks lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭3d4life

Lumen wrote: »
    ...Alternatively get a recirculating "extractor" which doesn't require venting to the outside. ...

I have experience of these :(

If you plan to really do real cooking then try to get a real extractor :D

3d4life wrote: »
    I have experience of these :(

If you plan to really do real cooking then try to get a real extractor :D

They're not all the same. I know someone who does a lot of cooking of quite oily food and loves it. But I think the system cost 5k or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭monseiur

Is this extractor fan to be connected directly to the cooker hood or is it to service the whole room ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭monseiur

NO, for a variety of reasons.
    The first assuming a two story house is that the cold stack effect will not be over come by a extract fan.
    The second is that the mixture of grease etc will condense on the walls of the chimney, creating all sorts of biohazard

You could consider lining the flue and fit a Chinese take away type fan on the top of the chimney but the noise for the neighbours would be pretty intolerable, and thats before the seagulls start feasting on the congealed grease on top of the chimney
    This is gross exaggeration (You obviously had your tongue stuck firmly in your cheek) It's a domestic house scenario not the world's largest McDonalds
    Most cooker extractors have charcoal or similar filters so the amount of actual grease extracted would be miniscule if any.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭3d4life

Lumen wrote: »
    They're not all the same. I know someone who does a lot of cooking of quite oily food and loves it. But I think the system cost 5k or something.

Any idea make / model ?

Advertisement