Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Repairing / Replacing Pumped Cavity Insulation

• 27-11-2020 2:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭

Hi all

We have an extension on the side of the house that was built in the 1980s. We bought the house in 2017 and prior to us being in the house an earlier owner had the cavity of this extension pumped with lose Eps beading.

We have since increased the insulation in the attic of the insulation (thanks to advice from Boards.ie) and it has increased the heat retention of the extension but there is still an issue with it holding heat.

The insulation installer we had in thought that a lot of the Eps beading was lost / blowing out of the cavity. The problem is its a very low attic space so I can't get in myself to confirm. I'm worried that maybe he was just looking for an extra bit of work.

I've got a quote for doing a thermal imaging / air tightness test and to be honest it is probably half the price of getting the cavity repumped for the whole extension.

Just wondering does anyone have any suggestions? I wondered about drilling some holes in to inspect myself.

Would any of the registered installers check the levels for you before proceeding? Is there any way to check how much they have installed in the walls so that we can set a fair price for the work?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

bawn79 wrote: »

I've got a quote for doing a thermal imaging / air tightness test and to be honest it is probably half the price of getting the cavity repumped for the whole extension.

And if the survey was to tell you that your main heat loss issue is not the (lack of) insulation, would you not think it was money well spent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭bawn79

MicktheMan wrote: »
    And if the survey was to tell you that your main heat loss issue is not the (lack of) insulation, would you not think it was money well spent?

Well I'm estimating that it is the ceiling, wall or floor. The ceiling has been insulated and the floor is the smallest heat loss of the three. So its a question of cost very risk I suppose. If the report tells me that it is the walls, I'm still left with the issue of how to sort out that issue but I've spent half of the cost of insulation on a report.

It looks like you're banking on the issue being a conduction heat loss problem.
    I reckon there is a very stronger probability that it is primarily a convection heat loss issue.
    As I see it your choice is to spend money to either guess what the issue is or be certain where the issue(s) is.
    It's your dime.

Just to get back to the point of the thread. Has anyone experience with having to repump a cavity after it was pumped previously?

bawn79 wrote: »
    Just to get back to the point of the thread. Has anyone experience with having to repump a cavity after it was pumped previously?

Apologies, I assumed the point of the thread was to get to the bottom of your heat loss issue. My bad.

Yes, I have experience with successfully replacing loose bead with bonded bead in a cavity wall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,106 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I would have thought that it would be good practice for the guy that was selling the bonded EPS to be able to thermal image the wall to show you the fault before it costing you money to rectify a problem that he guessed at.

Unless of course he can see through walls like superman ?

Pure guess work, see it for what it is.

listermint wrote: »
    I would have thought that it would be good practice for the guy that was selling the bonded EPS to be able to thermal image the wall to show you the fault before it costing you money to rectify a problem that he guessed at.

Unless of course he can see through walls like superman ?

Pure guess work, see it for what it is.

Ya that is kinda what I thought myself. Thanks.

Advertisement