Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comms Box has no internet?

Options
  • 30-11-2020 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

Hoping someone here can help me with this small issue I'm having.

Recently moved into a new build house that has a comms box in the attic (image attached).

Have had router plugged in downstairs where there is a dsl line coming in.

Decided at the weekend it was time to move router to attic and set up the two access points I purchased for wifi downstairs. I assumed that I should connect one of the two ports market "main" by the electrician into the wan port on the back of my router but I'm not getting any internet to the router this way. Have tried to call Electrician but not getting him at the moment so hoping someone on here has an answer.

What do I connect to the router?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Cerco

Fairly certain you will have to connect the dsl feed into your comms box. I would think it unlikely that a service provider would have fed dsl to your attic. Are there any ports close to the existing dsl cable?

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Stupify

Cerco wrote: »
    Fairly certain you will have to connect the dsl feed into your comms box. I would think it unlikely that a service provider would have fed dsl to your attic. Are there any ports close to the existing dsl cable?

There is one, so run a cable from existing dsl cable to that port and then use it in the attic space?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Cerco

Yes, identify the corresponding port in the attic and check it is free or what it is connected to. Then connect the dsl to the adjoining port and you can connect it in your comms box or directly to the router.
    Think about how you will configure your comms box in terms of inputs output etc and what items you want to interconnect.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Stupify

Cerco wrote: »
    Yes, identify the corresponding port in the attic and check it is free or what it is connected to. Then connect the dsl to the adjoining port and you can connect it in your comms box or directly to the router.
    Think about how you will configure your comms box in terms of inputs output etc and what items you want to interconnect.

Thanks for that, it's working a treat now.

Advertisement