Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chainsaw

Options
  • 02-05-2020 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Can anyone advise the best electric or battery chainsaw to buy. Got trees cut at the house and need to cut them up, can’t get a petrol one started, was thinking of electric or battery to get me started on the smaller ones. Any recommendations or advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭ShedTower

First I think you need to decide on either electric or battery. Is it feasible to plug it in where you will be working?

There's the cost, an electric will be much cheaper than a battery powered unit. Looking at 40cm Makitas on Amazon, the battery unit is £450+, the electric £133. Now half the cost of the battery unit is the batteries and charger. Great if you have these already (you can buy a bare unit for half the price) or good if you plan on buying more tools from the same brand as they will be interchangeable.

What size are the trees?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I have the Makita UC4051A.

Have taken down and chopped up a decent size tree (maybe 1ft diameter) but it's not very powerful. Fine for occasional small jobs though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭con747

Not the right way to do things but a friend of mine had a similar situation needing to cut 7 tree's into rings and bought one from Amazon to do the job and just returned it after using it within the 30 days for a refund:D

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

I'm on my second electric saw, the first one lasted about 10 years doing only relatively light work, and could be brought back into action if I replaced a worn plastic cog (cheap store own-brand, no parts available anywhere; will eventually get someone to 3-D print one for me).

The new one shares one particular feature with the old that you'll need to bear in mind: the power cable is really short - about 50-70cm - so you will need to provide a suitable extension cable, and if that's a waterproof cable/plug, you'll have a heavy lump of plastic hanging off the back of the machine, knocking against your leg while you're working (and, of course, a cable that's a tripping hazard).

Now while I'm happy enough with the electric one (great not to have to be buying/mixing up petrol when I've suddenly got unexpected time and weather, and great for indoor work) and used the new one exclusively for the last few months, it was great to get back to the petrol engine the other day when taking down a small contorted tree - so nice to be able to move around freely without rearranging the cable every two minutes. You'd have that same freedom with battery-powered ... but do you need it?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭marieky21

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 rlady

I want to comment with the permission of the subject owner. First of all, how big is the job? You have to tell us that. Because for small jobs, if there is electricity in the place where you will work, you can rent an electric saw. I think you should definitely use a chainsaw. They work better than chainsaws and are more efficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

rlady wrote: »
    I want to comment with the permission of the subject owner. First of all, how big is the job? You have to tell us that. Because for small jobs, if there is electricity in the place where you will work, you can rent an electric saw. I think you should definitely use a chainsaw [Link deleted] They work better than chainsaws and are more efficient.
    So a chainsaw is better than chainsaws
    ?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 happy hurler

Got this chainsaw last year needed to for removing a fallen tree from Screwfix, did the job no issues. Still going strong handy for light jobs.
    https://www.screwfix.ie/p/titan-ttl758chn-2000w-230v-electric-40cm-chainsaw/719fg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Buy the safety gear also. Don't think about picking up a saw without them.

Helmet, chainsaw pants and gloves easily available on Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,822 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Got this chainsaw last year needed to for removing a fallen tree from Screwfix, did the job no issues. Still going strong handy for light jobs.
    https://www.screwfix.ie/p/titan-ttl758chn-2000w-230v-electric-40cm-chainsaw/719fg

Did Screwfix pay you well? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 happy hurler

Of course. free screws for life :p

• Registered Users Posts: 21 rlady

So a chainsaw is better than chainsaws
    ?

I think the chainsaw is better. Because it can be used wherever there is electricity. You won't bother like with another saw. My other suggestion is mini chainsaws. I recommend your research.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

rlady wrote: »
    I think the chainsaw is better. Because it can be used wherever there is electricity. You won't bother like with another saw. My other suggestion is mini chainsaws. I recommend your research.

Thank you, many people do recommend my research:D

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭jmreire

Any comments about either of these 2 electric saw? I have a Husqvarna 460, but for ocassional lighter work, branches etc.
    Mac Allister 2000W 2000W 240V Corded Chainsaw
    or
    Chainsaw Makita UC3541A 1800W, 4,7Kg
    Anyone have any experience with either of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

jmreire wrote: »
    Any comments about either of these 2 electric saw? I have a Husqvarna 460, but for ocassional lighter work, branches etc.
    Mac Allister 2000W 2000W 240V Corded Chainsaw
    or
    Chainsaw Makita UC3541A 1800W, 4,7Kg
    Anyone have any experience with either of them?

I have the Makita UC4051A and it's fine for occasional work around the garden. I've taken down one large-ish tree (maybe a foot trunk diameter) and nobody died. But it does eat chains, which I put down to a lack of power. I don't know whether that's a reasonable diagnosis.

edit: oh wait, I posted something similar already when the thread was first started.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭jmreire

Lumen wrote: »
    I have the Makita UC4051A and it's fine for occasional work around the garden. I've taken down one large-ish tree (maybe a foot trunk diameter) and nobody died. But it does eat chains, which I put down to a lack of power. I don't know whether that's a reasonable diagnosis.

edit: oh wait, I posted something similar already when the thread was first started.

Yes, I've read the thread and I'm definitely getting one, its a question of which would be the best one. I have several roadside tree's cut down, none of which would be more than 9" max width, and many much less. But they would easily be 20' high, and many many branches:cool: My Husky is presently out if commission ( carburettor problem ) so I got a loan of a Macallister from the SIL, and I'm very impressed with it ( thats the reason I will get my own one) But his one is brand new ,,not more than an hours work done.And I wonder what it would be like longterm, hence my request for more info from anyone who has experience of either or both saw's. There's several saws available ranging in price from €50-€600, but for the amount of work I would be doing, something between €100-€150 would be fine. Thanks for your reply:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭memorystick

I’ve bought a log holder and am thinking of buying an electric saw to leave permanently on it as it’s in the shed. I’ve 2 chainsaws for field work. Has anyone ever used this setup?

Advertisement