Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Self Build Mortgage Advice

• 01-12-2020 10:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46

Hello,
    Myself and my husband have a slightly unusual situation and now I have a question which warrants a bit of advice if anyone can help!

We acquired a site from his parents, with the intention to pay them back for the full value of the site by 2022. This has all been drawn up and sorted by the solicitors, essentially we have a mortgage with them (not the banks) for the site that must be paid back when we 'remortgage' in some way by 2022. So the site /deeds etc are fully in our names.

We got full planning permission for the site for our build, and so far we have used our savings, small inheritance from my granny and every months wages for the last year to pay for everything so far. We have also done a lot of it ourselves under the supervision of a builder (friend of family) and engineer etc. We hire direct labour when needed for certain skills. We have the structure of the house built, roof on, windows in. Water connections etc paid for and all of that stuff. We are currently working on the gardens with the intent of going at it early next year with insulation/plumbing/electricity etc.

We have been given valuations for the site plus finished house based on architects drawings of approx €550,000. It will be A rated and all that as well. So now I'm expecting a baby and we have decided that we want to finish it a bit more quickly than initial intent!

A €300k borrowing will cover the cost of the site plus the rest of the build. Does anyone know if our situation will be seen favourably by the banks in terms of lending? Technically it will be a remortgage...

We have no savings at all left but we do have a nice partially built small house in an affluent area of Dublin. The whole things confuses me so I hope everything is clear!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,644 ✭✭✭✭fits

Find a good broker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46 FA12345

Haha, I agree, we will be doing that in January but was hoping to get some insight here sooner :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

1: is the parental debt registered and secured against the site?
    2: who is signing off on compliance thus far with planning and building regs?
    3: who will .... ditto.. at the end of the project?
    4: have you had professional valuation for the work done so far and a professional estimate of what cost to completion are?
    5: who will sign off on the valuation of the remaining stage payments?
    6: valuation of finished house against drawings is worthless.

as a lender, I would want the house finished and full compliance verified before I would fund the parental debt.
    My construction debt would take precedence over the parental debt and not be on a pari-passu basis.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement