Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3d Movies

• 28-03-2019 3:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭

Was this a fad that has been and gone already?

Comments

Hopefully. Almost impossible to sit comfortably wearing 3d goggles and a regular pair of specs. And that's before you get into the gimmicky element that some films employed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It died because studios released low quality 3D films that were converted poorly in post production. Some were OK, but a lot were absolutely crap and added nothing but confusion and darkness.

I loved native 3D movies, even had a 3D monitor/TV, but wouldn't touch 90% of what's been released in the past 5 or 6 years. It's a shame as it was a promising technology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

I wonder if the new Avatar movies might save them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

redmgar wrote: »
    I wonder if the new Avatar movies might save them.
    Or might repeat the awful cycle of movies not made in 3D being released in 3D. :pac:

Avatar and Gravity were the only enjoyable 3D experiences I've had. Actively avoid it now, with the exception of something new from a director using it correctly. Re-watched Avatar recently, and I'm up for going back to Pandora with the glasses on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

Dades wrote: »
    Or might repeat the awful cycle of movies not made in 3D being released in 3D. :pac:

Avatar and Gravity were the only enjoyable 3D experiences I've had.
    Same here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Vinculus

They went down hill rapidly after Jaws 3D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Avatar will push it firmly back on the radar.

Sure James Cameron and alot of other directors came down fairly harshly on the post production 3D that studios were adding on to the movies with gimmicky jump out scares.

I can only list 3 films that used it excellently and that was because 2 were shot with the proper camera system for 3D and the 3rd had a class director who knew what he was doing.

1. Avatar
    2. Life of Pi
    3. Gravity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,929 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Didn't take off in the 80s, didn't take off this time either.

As others said it's a gimmick and doesn't work for a lot of people anyway - especially if you need glasses.

It was a bad attempt sell TVs, that's about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

The best I've seen are some trailers in 3D.

I guess it's awful expensive and time consuming as I can't remember any of the good trailer level 3D resulting in a top 3D film.

Best use of 3D I can remember was the Brendan Fraser film Journey to the Center of the Earth but I think that one was trying to be a pioneer of the technology and so went all out for it. It had that one gag where he does mouthwash and I jumped because they somehow 3D'd him spitting it out at the audience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

I was just given a hand me down 46" Panasonic plasma, which apparently has 3D powers.
    So, does anybody out there have and use 3d on their TV?
    Are there sources for digital content in 3d or are you limited to DVD/blu ray? I don't even have dvd player at the moment.
    I don't plan on investing in 3d, just hoping there might be a cheap and cheerful way of getting it running for the novelty value to the kids.

I know i'd need glasses, they seem to be available 2nd hand and reasonably priced online.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

It was clearly a gimmick and a way for Cinema's to charge more for admission.

I did enjoy My Bloody Valentine 3D though. it was great fun. My wife still talks about it today!

Advertisement