Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What's your favourite takeaway meal?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

Burrito bowl from Boojum with chicken, mexican rice, lettuce, hot sauce, peppers/onions, pickled onion, chorizo and chipotle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Doner kebab, with chilli sauce, wrapped, with a side of chips and a freezing can/bottle of coke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

Feisar wrote: »
    There is no cream in a carbonara. The fat emulsifies with some starchy water from the pasta to create a creamy sauce.

Nonsense. You'll be telling me there's no chorizo in paella next.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

salmocab wrote: »
    We’re just going to put it all on the table and everyone can have what they want

Reminds me of Smithy freaking out about Mick eyeing up his bhunas in Gavin and Stacey:)

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Major Lovechild

Curried Bat was all the rage last year.

Wo ist die Gemütlichkeit?

• Advertisement

Porklife wrote: »
    Reminds me of Smithy freaking out about Mick eyeing up his bhunas in Gavin and Stacey:)

When that was on TV recently the Mrs just turned to me and said “that’s you”. I hate that craic of someone picking at mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Beef Hati Ayam from a lovely restaurant in Wexford, Mi Street. They have other nice stuff but I keep reverting back
    Generally, a Thai Green Curry is up there
    To my shame, I do enjoy an occasional Big Mac

A lot to be said for the big M at times. Chicken Selects wouldn’t be too far down my list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Chips curry, jumbo battered, quarter pounder.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Porklife wrote: »

That’s what it was from, pedantic dick that I am though think it was Pete eyeing it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Greyfox

A huge chicken fillet wrap and a can of coke from Aarrons take away near Clonmel. Tasty, good value and filling.

Chicken fillets are standard lunch break food rather than tasty take away food

• Registered Users Posts: 14,000 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Spice bag - Although the gourmet spice bags from san sab/camile/kimchi/krewe in dublin are next level
    Four lanterns snack box, hillbillys a good backup
    Lamb bhuna or makhani chicken with a peshwari naan
    Tom Yum Goong & a massaman curry
    A proper lamb doner kebab from p4f/zaytoon/pasha
    Brazilian sliced steak with chips/salad/crispy fried onions from the weekday lunch markets in dublin
    Cod and chips from Monte Carlo in Monaghan
    KC's King Creole in Douglas.
    Beef pho for the hangover.

Mcds/KFC/Boojum can all diaf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

A proper kebab is the correct answer. It simply can’t be beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Chicken Madras with special fried rice and keema naan.
    Singapore Chow Mein and hot and sour soup.
    Snack box with curry sauce.
    Big Mac Meal.
    Donar Kebab and taco fries.

Haven't had of of these in ages but wouldn't vary that much. Also like chicken curry and fried rice.
    I think Indian is my favourite take away but can be a bit expensive and hard to find a very good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

In my carbonara it's a good squirt of all those cream options. Then I f'ck it in the bin for a couple of hours to really bring out the flavour of the Brady sliced ham and boiled carrots.

You're forgetting the cabbage. Boil it for an hour first obviously before folding it gently into the cream. Finally sprinkle the contents of a flavoring packet from a chicken & mushroom Pot noodle over the lot.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Vindaloo.

One cool thing about lockdown is getting take-away from restaurants, I like sitting at home with a nice meal from a restaurant, a good bottle of wine and then sticking on a movie.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Leitrim doesn't appear to have a McDonalds from what Google shows.

I'm fairly sure there is no Supermacs anywhere in either Wicklow nor Cavan (Supermacs tends to be a euro or 2 more expensive for a meal than the other chains. Which probably explains its absence from Cavan :pac::pac::pac: )

yeah theres no Supermacs anywhere in Wicklow, had a craving for it before during the first lockdown and there was none to be found.

Though there is a place called The Chicken Guys in the Monread area in Naas not far from west Wicklow, from what I can see it is basically Supermacs except they only do chicken. Not sure why its not called Supermacs or why they dont sell beef burgers, it might be because theres a McDonalds next door and their lease wouldnt allow the Mighty Mac to go head to head with the Big Mac .
    http://thechickenguys.ie/our-menu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

Vindaloo.

One cool thing about lockdown is getting take-away from restaurants, I like sitting at home with a nice meal from a restaurant, a good bottle of wine and then sticking on a movie.

I love doing that but can't seem to find a good vindaloo anywhere in Dublin. I've tried so many places. Where would you recommend if you're Dublin based? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭js35

Singapore noodles with a spring roll and some curry sauce on the side

• Registered Users Posts: 37,770 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Though there is a place called The Chicken Guys in the Monread area in Naas not far from west Wicklow, from what I can see it is basically Supermacs except they only do chicken. Not sure why its not called Supermacs or why they dont sell beef burgers, it might be because theres a McDonalds next door and their lease wouldnt allow the Mighty Mac to go head to head with the Big Mac .
    http://thechickenguys.ie/our-menu/

That's very unusual and interesting

It must be part of McDonaghs group and for some odd reason it cant be called Supermacs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭COVID

Which is best for an authentic carbonara though? Regular cream, salad cream or mayonnaise? Also what sort of sliced ham is best? Denny or Bradys?

Also which veg is more suitable? I use potato, turnip, carrots and peas.

Tesco Real Dairy Spray Cream (250G), is best when there's no fresh cream available.

Billy Bear roll rather than ham.

Shaved raw turnip (use a high-performance electric wood plane, available at Screwfix for €30.45) and a dash of 'Saxa' white pepper to add a slightly exotic piquancy to this authentic Italian snack.

Arrivederci Lamborghini!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,770 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

COVID wrote: »
    Billy Bear roll rather than ham.

!

Legendary stuff, I'm 31 and still eat it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

fussyonion wrote: »
    What's your go-to takeaway order?
    I'm partial to a chicken Madras, naan and pilau rice myself.

Thai red curry. Love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,537 ✭✭✭✭briany

Chee-uz boorger, no chee-uz.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

I'm very fussy with takeaways. Generally speaking I wouldn't be a fan of them. But there are a few that I like.

Chippers - mainly soggy, greasy rubbish. I'll make an exception for Beschoffs. They're not bad. But I've gone to local chippers that people swear and they're always terrible.

Pizza - I love a nice pizza, but I live in Dublin and there's no-place near me that I'd go to. It doesn't travel well and there's noplace decent near me.

Chinese - glupey rubbish. I do have a soft spot for a really good sweet and sour chicken ball but the batter needs to be crispy and not at all thick and the sauce needs to not be sickening or a spicy black bean duck. I think with the sweet and sour it's because it was the one I used to get as a kid (and oh so exotic). But it is possible to get a decent one.

Indian - probably the best of them. Maybe a dansak or a rogan josh would be my favourites.

Thai - some decent ones around, but I wouldn't lose my head over them. A massaman or Panang can be very good.

Some of those more expensive hipster places that have popped up are decent actually. Wishbone or Wowburger both do takeaway. I'd happily eat them.

But thinking of the takeaways within 5k of me...
    I can think of 5 chinese - I wouldn't order from any of them.
    4 chippers - I'd only use one of them
    2 Indians / pakistani - They're actually both decent
    2 pizza places - I wouldn't use either
    2 Thai - I've only used one and I'd only get one thing from there now having tried a few.

I'm not including restaurants doing takeaway in that. But I suppose I should be thankful that I just don't often like takeaways. I'll still get one every two or three weeks, partly due to not wanting to cook, but mainly because I crave it even though I know I won't really enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Indian: Chicken Tikka Balti Mossalla and pilau rice.
    Chineese: Singapore fried rice and satay sauce.
    Pizza: Chilli beef.
    Other: 12" BMT from Subway on herb/cheese bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Proper kebabs. The Irish have a weird aversion to them, probably because of Abrakadaba, but jesus they're lovely. I like Zaytoon but there's no need for it to be as gigantic or expensive. One of my pet peeves are Irish butchers literally butchering them to make them seem 'healthier'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Gorteen

Lamb Tikka Biryani with Sag Aloo

• Registered Users Posts: 13,807 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I've been thinking about this while reading the last 10 pages, and I can't honestly say I have a favourite. I'm more about variety, so I rarely go to the same place multiple times in a row. I do have favourites from different places though:

Chipper: Donkey Fords: 2 chips, 5 battered sausages (they're normal sized proper sausages), and a battered burger. Destroyed in salt and vinegar. Shout out to Enzos for a close second on chippers in Limerick.

Chinese: If I don't pick up a spice box on the way home, I'd prefer to go to Wokking and get a General Tso's chicken. It's a hickory based one, and very rare to find elsewhere (it has a few different names though, so maybe others have it, but I've rarely seen it). Usually with a 50/50 fried rice/plain friend noodles.

Italian: Tagliatelle Polpette from Bella Italia. Amazeballs. Meatballs in a spicy tomato and cream sauce. A side of half a loaf worth of garlic bread and cheese too.

Thai: Only place I've really liked was a Thai Green Chicken Curry from Kambo in Waterford. No veg = more chicken. Yurt. Fried rice.

Shytefood: I love Mahon Shopping centre for the simple reason I could get the chips from McD's, the chicken from KFC and the burgers from BK. Now that's a proper shytefood meal. Popcorn chicken and boneless fillets from KFC. Has anyone tried the BK Texas King 3.0? It's fecking hooooooooj! Or a nice combo of the Katsu Curry fries and CBG fries from Abra. Yum.

Pizza: Used to be a Dominos person, but when my company discount was discontinued, there's no way I was paying the proper rip-off prices. The local chipper out here in the country does a fine pizza. It's hard to feck up a pizza though, but some manage. Loads of cheese and meat please!

And it needs to be said. People need to get on board the garlic curry train. Garlic mayo and curry sauce over chicken and chips... Or just a garlic curry chip and cheese from a proper chipper. Heartattack in a bag, but very filling and amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,260 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Thick cut chips, covered in cheese, layered with curry sauce and finally topped with garlic mayonnaise.

Portion of southern friend chicken goujons

Pint of milk

Traditional cuisine of Strokestown I’m led to believe

Advertisement