Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I'd rather watch defensive , counter attacking football, and win the league, than come 2nd, and be the most exciting team in the league. Titles come first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Dickerty wrote: »
    lanagan injured again. I don't think we can continue to use Ibe and Can there.

So - Illarramendi and Depay?

Them, benteke, Ings and Milner, along with some of the dead wood out the door like our strikers and enrique, would be a pretty decent transfer window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I'd rather watch defensive , counter attacking football, and win the league, than come 2nd, and be the most exciting team in the league. Titles come first.
    Chelsea superthread
    >

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,891 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

5starpool wrote: »
    If we had tried to play Chelsea style of pragmatic football last season we would probably have got around 20 points less.

All those 20 points got us in the end was CL football nothing else and we did nothing with that this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I think FSG should be actively trying to get Klopp. If they can't then give Rodgers another season, but they should at least be talking to Klopp.

Ok let's look at it this way there are plenty of fans on here and in the real world who say give out about FSG buying moneyball players and they need to stop that because we need experienced players and that is very fair.

FSG also moneyballed the manager its that simple really the took a punt on a manager who failed at a couple of lower league teams had one good season with Swansea with a squad built by someone else.

So instead of going for an experienced manager they took a chance on a young highly regarded one just like they are doing with players.

Yet most will say let's cut out loses in those players.

I'm saying let's cut them on the manager.

I have said I don't think they will go for Klopp although he would be my choice.

I think they will moneyball another young manager a different this time they will go for one who has at least won things in a different country.

de Boer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    I don't think he said we beat our rivals in every game...
    Do you really want to split hairs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Them, benteke, Ings and Milner, along with some of the dead wood out the door like our strikers and enrique, would be a pretty decent transfer window.

Benteke confuses me. Is he really good enough? Would we play a different game to suit his style? I don't know about him. Plus, he'd cost a TON.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

FSG also moneyballed the manager its that simple really the took a punt on a manager who failed at a couple of lower league teams had one good season with Swansea with a squad built by someone else.

While I agree that FSG went with the moneyball manager, and I wasn't impressed when he was first hired, the rest of your sentence is just sensationalism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,506 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I'd much rather come second and play attractive football.

:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Sturridge the human tampon, in for a week, out for 3.

Like Sturridge atm, I feel sick after writing that.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

All those 20 points got us in the end was CL football nothing else and we did nothing with that this season.

I agree we didn't capitalise on it properly, but I'm hoping you haven't argued yourself into saying there is no difference between 84 points and finish second than 64 points and finish 6th (which is where 64 points would have put us).

We don't have players as good as Chelsea. Even last season their squad was well ahead of ours, but the difference was Suarez and the amazing confidence the way we were playing at times gave us. There was certainly some tactical naiveity last season, but it was still a hell of a ride despite the ultimate disappointment.

In theory we could still get something like 73 points this season. I don't think we will (probably be 5-7 short of it) but if we did that would have been a realistic target for the season and I'd probably have accepted it in August. My main problem is the way we have played this season. Even when we were winning in Jan-March we weren't playing particularly well (as opposed to attractive football). We have been making it up as we go along, and that is not going to get success, as we've shown.

We will ultimately fall about 5-10 points short of our points target for the season if we use 76 points as a likely benchmark to get CL football. It's the fact that we have looked panicky and short of ideas for most of the season that have me most worried, and if those things persist through next season it'll be time for a change I think.

I know we can't and won't play well every game, but it'd be nice to play well and deserve to win games for portions of the season anyhow, and even when we were winning games this season I think we lacked that for the most part.

Sorry, that was a bit rambly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Dickerty wrote: »
    Benteke confuses me. Is he really good enough? Would we play a different game to suit his style? I don't know about him. Plus, he'd cost a TON.

I'd say 30 million would be the max we would have to go to, I reckon he would be a serious addition better than bony imo. Its a pity we didn't get him last summer, I know he was injured then so prob would have been impossible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Depay is the way forward.

hefferboi wrote: »
    Depay is the way forward.

We'll probably end up with Delap:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Two things will make or break our season next year:

1) A proper goalscorer who isn't made of glass. If we somehow manage to tempt a top striker and he reaches 20, then we've already made significant ground in the race for 4th.

2) Rodgers' tactics in the big games need to improve. Fair enough we beat City at home, and did the double over Spurs (even though they're ****e :pac:); but we lost both United games, drew with Arsenal at home and lost away, lost to Chelsea at home, and I doubt we'll even get a draw at Stamford Bridge.

If we have any hope of catching the 4 above us, we need to get wins at home and try to get a point in the away games. I'd be quite happy for Rodgers to organise ourselves like Chelsea do and grind out matches, as opposed to leaving ourselves open and getting hammered like at Arsenal, United and City away this season. I've yet to see our side properly 'park the bus' and if we have any hope of being successful in the future, we have to limit the goals conceded in the big games.

We'll probably end up with Delap:p

If we got Crouch back the combination of his heading ability with Delaps throwing ability will probably get us more goals than our strikers combined have gotten this season :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

noodler wrote: »

Where did anyone say that?!? Nobody did... it was just pointed out that they're not mutually exclusive. In fact in the last 5 seasons the team that has scored the most goals has won the league. You could say that in general they go hand in hand.

Whats been the bigger problem this year? Scoring goals or conceding them!? The answer is obvious. The old cliche of you build from the back is outdated thiknking. Goals win league titles. We came second last year and we scored the 2nd most goals... you can ride a good defence and poor attack to a cup win here or there but you need a quality forward line to win the league. Its why Chelsea have won it this year and didn't last year. This year they had Costa and Cesc providing for him and then used their defence when Costa has been injured/suspended to help them through it. Their goal this summer will (i imagine) be to add another forward or two so they don't have to do it again.

Btw i can't believe Agent Coulson said that the only thing those 20 points got us was champions league. They got us massive entertainment and for me personally as much joy from a liverpool league campaign as i can remember... and isn't that the reason we follow football?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

When you start thinking about buying players it is hard not to get carried away. Ideally I would upgrade the whole spine of the team. Mignolet has been far better but in terms of playing out from the back he still sucks and I would like an upgrade. I would sell Lovren and get another top CB in to play alongside Sahko. We definitely need a central midfielder, Kovacic seems to be the one linked today. I wouldn't say no but we really need a DM. Are we going to buy two midfield options? A top striker is obviously of the utmost importance. Probably need a full back to replace Johnson.

That is alot of players for a team that brought in so many new players already last summer.

2) Rodgers' tactics in the big games need to improve. Fair enough we beat City at home, and did the double over Spurs (even though they're ****e :pac:); but we lost both United games, drew with Arsenal at home and lost away, lost to Chelsea at home, and I doubt we'll even get a draw at Stamford Bridge.

If we have any hope of catching the 4 above us, we need to get wins at home and try to get a point in the away games. I'd be quite happy for Rodgers to organise ourselves like Chelsea do and grind out matches, as opposed to leaving ourselves open and getting hammered like at Arsenal, United and City away this season. I've yet to see our side properly 'park the bus' and if we have any hope of being successful in the future, we have to limit the goals conceded in the big games.

Against Utd at Old Trafford we played well and if we had a striker who could score (sorry Raheem) then we likely would have won that game. If you're waiting for Rodgers to park the bus then you'll have to wait a long time i imagine. We simply don't have the players currently to make that a viable option. Maybe in a land where they're all fit and we can play Lucas as a screen and use the pace of Sterling, Ibe and Sturridge to counter with but tbh to really park the bus (with the lack of defensive quality of our fullbacks) we will end up having to drop Coutinho. I'd rather we just get more goals in the side and play our own game against the other sides. Like we've done effectively many times under Rodgers. Lets not forget while lucky to get a draw in the end we were the better team against Arsenal at home and in the League Cup we were better than a pretty much full strength Chelsea team over two legs. Its the lack of goals when on top that have KILLED us this year (as in fairness you alluded to in your post but i wanted to reply to the 2nd point).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

what i want after this season ends,is a quick announcement that we have reached agreement with one quality striker,just so i can fckin relax for a few weeks before next season

what i want after this season ends,is a quick announcement that we have reached agreement with one quality striker,just so i can fckin relax for a few weeks before next season

Given that we can't actually officially sign anyone until July 1st I fear you'll be disappointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

noodler wrote: »

Nobody remembers the best loser.

There is some amount of lazy journalism going on today.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭kop77

DVDM93 wrote: »
    Sturridge the human tampon, in for a week, out for 3.

Like Sturridge atm, I feel sick after writing that.

:eek::D:pac:

Against Utd at Old Trafford we played well and if we had a striker who could score (sorry Raheem) then we likely would have won that game. If you're waiting for Rodgers to park the bus then you'll have to wait a long time i imagine. We simply don't have the players currently to make that a viable option. Maybe in a land where they're all fit and we can play Lucas as a screen and use the pace of Sterling, Ibe and Sturridge to counter with but tbh to really park the bus (with the lack of defensive quality of our fullbacks) we will end up having to drop Coutinho. I'd rather we just get more goals in the side and play our own game against the other sides. Like we've done effectively many times under Rodgers. Lets not forget while lucky to get a draw in the end we were the better team against Arsenal at home and in the League Cup we were better than a pretty much full strength Chelsea team over two legs. Its the lack of goals when on top that have KILLED us this year (as in fairness you alluded to in your post but i wanted to reply to the 2nd point).

Well our defence isn't the best in the league by any means, but I think if Moreno learns to prioritise defensive duties in games, even if that means not going forward, and we manage to sign a decent RB, then we're almost there. Skrtel and Sakho are both solid CB's, and Mignolet isn't the worst keeper in the world. If we go after a proper DM which we really should, we'd have a middle 3 of Can, Handerson, and the DM behind which would provide adequate protection.

A RB, DM and at least 1 striker should be the priority this summer. If Depay comes, it's likely Sterling will go.

kop77 wrote: »
    :eek::D:pac:

I know. I was in two minds about posting it, my sick mind came out on top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭joe123

The downsides of hiring Klopp (assume for a minute we can hire him):
    1. He'd need to spend even more money and churn players even more, creating more uncertainty next season, and we probably wouldn't get top 4.
    2. We won't know if Rodgers could/would have turned it around again next season after an ultimately disappointing campaign this time.
    3. He is an unknown quantity in terms of managing in England.
    4. There would probably be unrealistic fan and media expectations leading to more impatience than is proper.
    5. Further eroding of time given to managers which is too little in a lot of cases these days anyhow.

The upsides of hiring him:
    1. Winning record.
    2. Would command respect of current players and potential targets and help sign new players.
    3. Would probably give a boost to the feeling around the club and increase media interest and possibly help raise commercial revenues. Highly speculative on my part though.

All in all, while I wouldn't be devestated if we sacked Rodgers and could bring in Klopp, I don't think it's the right thing to do.

I have been one of Rodgers biggest supporters/defenders whatever you'd like to call it but at the same time I think every football fan can appreciate that Klopp is a great manager.

Hard argue with any of the above post imo. As far as Agent Coulsons post goes, well I think others have summed up that post nicely. Aka its absolute nonsense in my eyes.

Rodgers has another season to get us motoring again and arguably his biggest failing this season has been his summer.

No striker all season long is inexcusable for a team that want to challenge for fourth let alone the title.

Well our defence isn't the best in the league by any means, but I think if Moreno learns to prioritise defensive duties in games, even if that means not going forward, and we manage to sign a decent RB, then we're almost there. Skrtel and Sakho are both solid CB's, and Mignolet isn't the worst keeper in the world. If we go after a proper DM which we really should, we'd have a middle 3 of Can, Handerson, and the DM behind which would provide adequate protection.

A RB, DM and at least 1 striker should be the priority this summer. If Depay comes, it's likely Sterling will go.

Who tells and coaches him to not do that now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,284 ✭✭✭✭rob316

What a terrible article. Clearly written by a Manc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭brevity

Where did anyone say that?!? Nobody did... it was just pointed out that they're not mutually exclusive. In fact in the last 5 seasons the team that has scored the most goals has won the league. You could say that in general they go hand in hand.

Whats been the bigger problem this year? Scoring goals or conceding them!? The answer is obvious. The old cliche of you build from the back is outdated thiknking. Goals win league titles. We came second last year and we scored the 2nd most goals... you can ride a good defence and poor attack to a cup win here or there but you need a quality forward line to win the league. Its why Chelsea have won it this year and didn't last year. This year they had Costa and Cesc providing for him and then used their defence when Costa has been injured/suspended to help them through it. Their goal this summer will (i imagine) be to add another forward or two so they don't have to do it again.

Btw i can't believe Agent Coulson said that the only thing those 20 points got us was champions league. They got us massive entertainment and for me personally as much joy from a liverpool league campaign as i can remember... and isn't that the reason we follow football?!?

I'd be of the opinion that goals win games but a defence will win you titles.

I think a large sections of the fan base have always felt Brendan is a bit of tool. Those quotes are cringe worthy under any circumstances. I wish he would shut up and be a less phony in interviews but at the end of the day I wouldn't give a flying **** about any of it if he was getting the team to perform on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭jem

I don't post a lot but do read the forum every day.
    if and only if we could and indeed had done a deal with Klopp would I sack rogers.
    There needs to be serious work done on transfers and to a large extend don't buy anyone who is playing in england. nearly every time we do they turn out to be crap or made of glass or both(carroll). This problem is going back to pre rogers.
    we need to splash the cash and only buy experienced top class players who are winners. not those who are young with potential- we have enough of them at the club.
    Brendan also needs to stop trying to come over as a tactical genius in every interview and letting other teams how to play against us.

They need to pick a couple of true top class players and buy them, even if it means overpaying.
    we need some leaders on the pitch, rafa had 4/5 players who had captained their teams before we bought them, he wanted players who show leadership on the pitch. this is one or the reasons we missed carra last year and this year.

rob316 wrote: »
    What a terrible article. Clearly written by a Manc

The article this morning along similar veins was written by a lifelong Liverpool fan.

This quote is the jewel among them. I couldn't stop laughing for a few minutes the first time I read it.
    "My biggest mentor is myself because I've had to study and that's been my biggest influence."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

brevity wrote: »

Unless of course you are Allardyce or Pulis....................................... Or Moyes at United

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

If we added 2 goalscorers to our squad we'll make top 4 next season.

Who tells and coaches him to not do that now?

You can't blame BR for everything, I sincerely hope BR sees this problem and will try to alleviate it, but Moreno needs time to learn his role.

brevity wrote: »

In reality you need both though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

NukaCola wrote: »
    If we added 2 goalscorers to our squad we'll make top 4 next season.

Pity we didn't have that insight last summer! :D

Benteke and Depay would transform the attacking line.

You can't blame BR for everything, I sincerely hope BR sees this problem and will try to alleviate it, but Moreno needs time to learn his role.

He has been manager of the team for 3 season and bar a handful of games this season our defence is terrible he has seen and had plenty of time to see the problem and fix it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭brevity

Exactly. You can't focus entirely on one or you won't get anywhere.

If (and this is a massive if) we got Depay and Benteke then surely that would be contingent on Sterling leaving, both for the funds and because there is no way to fit them all in.

Coutinho/Sturridge/Depay/Sterling/Benteke are not all going to fit in the same team really unless Sterling and Depay were wing backs. I know Sturridge would be injured most of the time anyhow, but still.

If (and this is a massive if) we got Depay and Benteke then surely that would be contingent on Sterling leaving, both for the funds and because there is no way to fit them all in.

Coutinho/Sturridge/Depay/Sterling/Benteke are not all going to fit in the same team really unless Sterling and Depay were wing backs. I know Sturridge would be injured most of the time anyhow, but still.

Add Origi & Ibe to that list as well.

Add Origi & Ibe to that list as well.

Ya, I meant to mention them as back ups.

I know very little about this Nianggolan (or however you spell it) lad, but apparently he would be the answer to our midfield problem. Get him in, get a decent right back, get a good striker and I'll be happy. Sterling out/Depay in and I'd be ok too I guess but I wouldn't want to lose Sterling unless we were getign someone of that quality in.

I don't think we'll sign Nianggolan, Depay or a top striker this summer though. We will sign a right back though I reckon. We'll sign a striker, but not one that excites us I reckon, although hopefully he'd change our mind.

• Advertisement

You don't need an amazing defence to win the league imo. We almost won it last year with a pretty shoddy one tbf. Realistically how big of a threat are the teams at 10-20 in the league? They're gameplan in general against the top teams will be to sit back and counter, you don't need a defence like chelseas to beat that, and when Chelseas forward line were firing this season they didn't either. The issue against those teams is usually that if you don't score it leads to frustration and poor decisions, with a top class attack that doesn't happen. Sure there are going to be days and matches when the above doesn't hold true but i'm fairly sure that if you look at the last 10 years that you will find that the team that scores the most goals does better than the team that concedes the most.

I would be happy going into next season with our defenders tbh if it meant we got two top class attacking options.

I'm not sold on Depay btw... the talent is there but he's very prone to making poor decisions and the premier league will be more punishing in that regards than the Eredivisie. I'd rather us just go all out and try to get Dybala or Vieto (tho maybe i'm the one being mega unrealistic now... :(

Btw i'm not saying that we shouldn't worry about our defense just that i see the problems up top as FAR more pressing issues. I also think that in general it takes time for defenders to settle and that spending big back there won't solve anything overnight.

He has been manager of the team for 3 season and bar a handful of games this season our defence is terrible he has seen and had plenty of time to see the problem and fix it.

Handful of games?

Handful of games?

Yep handful... all those ones that Mignolet has kept clean sheets in... enough that he's likely to win the golden golves. Coulson just has very big hands.

I would be happy going into next season with our defenders tbh if it meant we got two top class attacking options.

Said the same thing a few post back.

You dont "need" an amazing defence but you do need a strong one. We nearly won the league with a poor defence but that was offset with the best EPL striker/player of that season.

Handful of games?

When we switched to 3 at the back and after a couple of games that was found out.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement