Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premier League Predictions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭Soups123

3 times in the last 9 seasons?

You can give out about my opinion all you like, neither of us will know who was right for another 9 months so keep your knickers on but I know for a fact Liverpool will not be battling against Newcastle for 6/7/8 in the table.

Cool the jets it just an opinion, I don't for a second think mine will all be right.

I've explained above about my placing of Pool

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

I think that Liverpool will really struggle.

Suarez gone - That's huge. To suggest otherwise is head in the sand stuff

Fighting on four fronts - Last season they could just focus on the League.

5th would be my call.

Fighting on 4 fronts? As opposed to the 3 last season? It could be an extra 6 games this season, we could be out of Europe completely before Christmas. This needing extra players because of potentially only 6 games is complete nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

So Vinz have you any real explanation for why you think it's so unlikely that Arsenal won't get 2nd or 3rd besides pulling up their finishing positions over the last 10 years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

I think that Liverpool will really struggle.

Suarez gone - That's huge. To suggest otherwise is head in the sand stuff

Fighting on four fronts - Last season they could just focus on the League.

5th would be my call.

Fighting on two fronts really. I don't think the FA cup or League cup are a priority. You take them more seriously if you get to the semi-final stage.

Fighting on 4 fronts? As opposed to the 3 last season? It could be an extra 6 games this season, we could be out of Europe completely before Christmas. This needing extra players because of potentially only 6 games is complete nonsense.

It's the 6 league games after these the 18pts, the extra injuries, the players all settling. If the qualify a few more.

Liverpool exited the cups earlier last year and it really helped the league.

In saying all that they could hit the ground running but my opinion would be a more step back before a two steps forward the following

• Advertisement

shano_88 wrote: »
    So Vinz have you any real explanation for why you think it's so unlikely that Arsenal won't get 2nd or 3rd besides pulling up their finishing positions over the last 10 years?

Question marks over Ozil.
    Better option needed than Giroud.
    Will Sanchez settle?
    Will Walcott and Ramsey stay fit?
    Debuchy is a downgrade on Sagna.
    Lack of defensive options.

Shall I continue?
    Of course, these are all my opinion and I could have egg on my face next May, I don't think I will though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Or a knowledgeable football fan?

What kind of knowledgeable football fan predicts Arsenal to finish outside the top four? If we've learned anything from recent years, it's that Arsenal are the kings of finishing in the top 4 :pac:

Also like how finishing second has become the new benchmark for pool fans to base things by!

Question marks over Ozil.
    Better option needed than Giroud.
    Will Sanchez settle?
    Will Walcott and Ramsey stay fit?
    Debuchy is a downgrade on Sagna.
    Lack of defensive options.

Shall I continue?
    Of course, these are all my opinion and I could have egg on my face next May, I don't think I will though.

Sure apply that to any team, that's not football knowledge.

Soups123 wrote: »
    It's the 6 league games after these the 18pts, the extra injuries, the players all settling. If the qualify a few more.

Liverpool exited the cups earlier last year and it really helped the league.

In saying all that they could hit the ground running but my opinion would be a more step back before a two steps forward the following

This is a very valid opinion, I hope you are wrong but it could well happen.

Sure apply that to any team, that's not football knowledge.

A lot of people seem to be doing it about Liverpool without Suarez but don't seem to like it being done about "their" team.

• Advertisement

A lot of people seem to be doing it about Liverpool without Suarez but don't seem to like it being done about "their" team.

Ah that's very diff, Suarez is gone all your points are hypothetical.

Fescue wrote: »
    This is a very valid opinion, I hope you are wrong but it could well happen.

I think this year will be the most open ever. If Liverpool retained CL I think they'll be able to attract the players they need next summer

If I can make a case against Arsenal, I would say that they have strenghtened an area they were already very strong in, with the signing of Sanchez.

They haven't made any effort to improve the defensive area of the team, which is surely a worry.

They still don't have a striker of the required quality in my opinion. Giroud wouldn't make the first team of any of the other top 5 clubs.

The mental fraility that has dogged them in recent years is still the great unknown. Perhaps the FA Cup win will give them greater resilience.

Other than that they are very strong to be fair.

He has left but our squad is much stronger than it was on the last day of last season.

If we need a goal this season we aren't relying on Moses or Aspas from the bench. If we need to shore things up at the back we aren't relying on Aly Cissokho.

If I can make a case against Arsenal, I would say that they have strenghtened an area they were already very strong in, with the signing of Sanchez.

They haven't made any effort to improve the defensive area of the team, which is surely a worry.

They still don't have a striker of the required quality in my opinion. Giroud wouldn't make the first team of any of the other top 5 clubs.

The mental fraility that has dogged them in recent years is still the great unknown. Perhaps the FA Cup win will give them greater resilience.

Sanchez improved us a lot other than Walcott and Ox who were injured a lot he adds much needed pace, we were very pedestrian last year.

Not signing a top class DM would be suicidal and if we don't we won't challenge.

Giroud at this point for me isn't good enough(we disagree on this a lot in the team thread) but this is a huge year for him, he has the potential to be quality but I'm on the fence .

The mental fragility is our biggest problem, we need a few results against the big boys to fix this , easier said than done though

He has left but our squad is much stronger than it was on the last day of last season.

If we need a goal this season we aren't relying on Moses or Aspas from the bench. If we need to shore things up at the back we aren't relying on Aly Cissokho.
    I'd agree the about the squad I just feel they are lacking a little on quality and missing Sturridge/Sterling with the squad as is will be really hard to manage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

The area that Arsenal trailed behind the others most last season was goal scoring, and Alexis is a goal scorer. So he is strengthening the team in that way. He is also someone who can make intelligent runs and dribble at defenders, an area Arsenal have been lacking especially when Walcott and Ox were out. There's also a chance he will play instead of Giroud up top in some games.

Agreed that defensively the squad certainly needs another CB and ideally a DM. Mentally you'd have to think they'd be confident after the FA cup and the germans winning the WC. Getting through the early big way games will be important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,222 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I think Suarez was to Liverpool what Bale was to Spurs.
    No way are you stronger without him in my opinion.

Time will tell though.

I'd agree the about the squad I just feel they are lacking a little on quality and missing Sturridge/Sterling with the squad as is will be really hard to manage

Sturridge I agree with, I'm not being negative about him definitely getting injured like a lot of Liverpool fans.

Sterling getting injured would be a huge loss but we have a young lad ready to come through just like Sterling did 18 months ago in Jordan Ibe.

There is no doubt that Liverpool are worse off without Suarez. Who wouldn't be.

If they are to compensate for the loss of quality in the first team, I think it is more likely to come from within than by signing another player. I genuinely think Sterling and Coutinho are about to move onto another level in their careers.

• Advertisement

Sturridge I agree with, I'm not being negative about him definitely getting injured like a lot of Liverpool fans.

Sterling getting injured would be a huge loss but we have a young lad ready to come through just like Sterling did 18 months ago in Jordan Ibe.

Ibe isn't ready imo, great potential but nowhere near a good enough replacement for Sterling. Liverpool very rarely sign WC players but they do make them and the potential in Sterling is frightening. Ibe needs a PL loan

Ibe isn't ready imo, great potential but nowhere near a good enough replacement for Sterling. Liverpool very rarely sign WC players but they do make them and the potential in Sterling is frightening. Ibe needs a PL loan

I wasn't for a second saying that Ibe is at the same level as Sterling but in a few years time I think them 2 together will be devastating.

Question marks over Ozil. What question marks are they? He had a dip in form in the second half of the season when the team wasnt playing well. He has performed at the top level on a consistent basis for many years now including a world cup final not too long ago. Hes a world class number 10. The press have given him a very hard time but he had a good season overall last year and I expect him to be even better this year.
    Better option needed than Giroud. Campbell, Sanogo, Sanchez
    Will Sanchez settle? Sanchez has settled in the Argentinian, Italian and Spanish league. Im not one bit worried about him settling.
    Will Walcott and Ramsey stay fit? Ramsey is a key player but every team has key players that if they get injured the team will struggle to cover. Sturridge at Liverpool, Van Persie at United, Ageuro at City.
    Debuchy is a downgrade on Sagna. Started over France at the world cup and has very similar defensive stats. I wouldnt say there is much between them.
    Lack of defensive options. The transfer window is still open isnt it? Id be shocked if more defensive cover isnt signed.

Shall I continue?
    Of course your entitled to your opinion but I happen to think your wrong on this one and expect Arsenal to do very well this year. Strongest squad we have had in years imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Chelsea
    City
    Arsenal
    Man united
    Spurs
    Liverpool

In that order

Top goal scorer - Aguaro
    Young player - Sterling
    Player of the season- Rooney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Re Giroud he performed better than any striker on Chelsea's books last season and I'll wager he'll do the same this season. He was on a par with Rooney in terms of goals scored last season. He is a vital part of the team, very important in defending set pieces and In our build up play. Vastly under rated by many including Arsenal fans.

He is not without faults of course but his main problem last season was the general lack of pace around him. I don't see that happening this season round and Olivier will be even better this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

He was walked you through arsenals performance for the last 10 years and posed the valid question why should this year be different. That seems like a pretty good example of demonstrating football knowledge to me. There aren't very many examples (Liverpool last year excepted) of teams suddenly getting ideas above their station, and while arsenal have strengthened so has/ will everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭ronjo

tritium wrote: »
    He was walked you through arsenals performance for the last 10 years and posed the valid question why should this year be different. That seems like a pretty good example of demonstrating football knowledge to me. There aren't very many examples (Liverpool last year excepted) of teams suddenly getting ideas above their station, and while arsenal have strengthened so has/ will everyone else.

Ok so the point being that this year shouldnt be any different but Arsenal are predicted to have their worst season in 20 years?

ronjo wrote: »
    Ok so the point being that this year shouldnt be any different but Arsenal are predicted to have their worst season in 20 years?

No he predicted arsenal would be tight with utd for fourth - recent seasons have usually seen arsenal having a late surge to secure fourth. OK he did predict utd to pip arsenal (on which I hope he's wrong). He also said they wouldn't get 3rd or 2nd again recent seasons do support that assertion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

He also said they wouldn't get 3rd or 2nd again recent seasons do support that assertion
    Except for those 2 seasons in the last 5 years where we've finished 3rd?

• Advertisement

Really? Looking back over the last 10 yrs of finishing position is knowledge of how the next will pan out?

Why not say 11/12/13 years and we can add in more knowledgable success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I think Suarez was to Liverpool what Bale was to Spurs.
    No way are you stronger without him in my opinion.

Time will tell though.

Fully agreed. I expect City and Liverpool to be worse this season than last (in terms of league points), and Chelsea, Spurs and United to be better, with Arsenal about the same. Can see Everton being worse too and Newcastle and Swansea doing well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

8-10 wrote: »
    Fully agreed. I expect City and Liverpool to be worse this season than last (in terms of league points), and Chelsea, Spurs and United to be better, with Arsenal about the same. Can see Everton being worse too and Newcastle and Swansea doing well

Doubt Monk will do much with Swansea.

Really? Looking back over the last 10 yrs of finishing position is knowledge of how the next will pan out?

Why not say 11/12/13 years and we can add in more knowledgable success.

Do you have a better indicator than recent performance? Some metric to weight the relative squad changes in each team?

Do you have a better indicator than recent performance? Some metric to weight the relative squad changes in each team?

Yes I will send it to you by PM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

What have Spurs done for some posters to think they are going to finish ahead of Liverpool?

Granted, Liverpool are a lot weaker without Suarez (every team in world football would be tbf), but I cant see a 15 point swing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Top 6:
    1. Chelsea: Jose came close with his little horse last year, now its got it's milk will beat City to League this. Costa, Cesc will make the difference. Hazard, Matic, Oscar, Willian already there....plus the DROG IS BACK!!!!! Game over.

2.Man City: Think will get pipped by Chelski, If Aguerro was fit for season and Negredo actually played as well as they say he can then maybe first. Probably best squad in league, but with grumblings from Yaya and when Aguerro, Yaya & Fernandho are'nt available they often dont fire. Expect big season from Demichlis and Dzeko. Lampard on a free is interesting tho.

3 Arsenal: Sanchez Sanchez Sanchez!!!!! :D.... and nobody else signed :(
    Still bit to thin, Ramsey and Walcot fit for season then maybe 1st/2nd, but when was the last time Arsenal had an Injury free campaign? Wegner needed to buy 2 players like Sanchez... like Cavani, Benzima or Kroos even Kaderha.
    One Marqee player wont do it.

4. Liverpool: bought lot of fairly good players hope they dont to a Tottenham and have a season like that (When Spurs sold Bale). Rodgers is the key. Gerrard has a few seasons left, Sturridge is a known asset, and its the likes of Henderson, Continho who need to show they are quality players instead of drifting back to the shadows now Suarez isnt around.
    This is the season that Sterling will step up and possibly be one of the best PL players

5. Man Utd : Van Gaal.He will either get them back to top4 or could blow up. Still have not invested to get anywhere near the squad Man City or Chelski has. Herrera should be good but Shaw is one for the future and poss where Raheem Stirling was 2 years ago. A lot to prove.

6 Everton: Martinez factor, what a great manager, good squad, 28m for Lukaku (Chelsea's loss) makes a Statement. Could even make top4.

Relegation:
    - Southhampton >>> Cast Iron certainties to go down, bolted on. Sold their squad, Pacetinhno gone, Wife of Ex Owner taking the money and running, Championship next year. End of.
    - Swansea If they get into a Relegation battle doubt if the have the fight get out, Squad has a lightweight feel, no leaders, Monk is probably not Premier League Standard. Bony might keep them up...
    - Villa: Owner trying to sell, nobody wants to buy. Dont like to put them in here with Roy on the Management but scrapped in last season not going to escape this one.

Top Goalscorer: Rooney!!! :pac: (LOL) :P no seriously...

Sturridge has the talent to be world class striker, time to step up over a season and prove it. (25 plus PL Goals)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,967 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Three that came up will go straight back down, they are all rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Joe Exotic

My Predictions are as follows

City or Chelsea to win it as i'm a city fan I have to go for City but its so close between the two.

Arsenal to go Third and a fight between Liverpool/Utd/Everton/spurs for the fourth spot.

Heres my view of the teams most of the stats Im basing it off of is here so only the league table really. but the transfer info is from here

Ill try go through each of the top teams from last year and see do the transfers match up with weakness, thus improving where needed from last year.

Man City
    Goals for :102 Goals against:37
    Wins:27
    Draws:5
    Losses:6

Players in:
    Willy Caballero Malaga Undisclosed
    Fernando FC Porto Undisclosed
    Eliaquim Mangala FC Porto £32.0m
    Bacary Sagna Arsenal Free

Players out:
    Gareth Barry Everton Free
    Joleon Lescott West Bromwich Albion Free
    Marcos Lopes Lille Loan
    Costel Pantilimon Sunderland Free
    Jack Rodwell Sunderland £10.0m

Ok City won the league scoring the most goals (One more that liverpool) and Conceeding the second least after Chelsea.

Considering that City haven't lost any strikers and both Aguero and Jovetic were injured for large parts of last season. And the fact that Dezko and Negredo(Out till september - broken foot) are also top performers its hard to criticize the lack of new forward options brought in during the summer.

It was in defense and sometimes midfield city were weakest last season. They have brought in credible players for these positions. Mangala seams to be highly rated hard to say how he will do in the Premier League though, Sagna despite being a class player is a bit of a suprise to me surely with Zabaleta as right back city should have tried to bring in cover to replace the weaker left back position!!

Fernando has had a good preseason and now Garcia is gone seams to have been brought in to furfill a holding role allowing Toure/Fernandinho to get further forward to help out the striker(s)
    The addition of Caballero will put more credible pressure on joe hart for his spot.

As city haven't been weakened and have brought in two/three good players i think they must be the team to beat lets also remember that last year was Pellegrini's first at the club and in the premier league i think he under estimated the Quality of some opposition last year and how hard away wins can be!!

City have quality midfield and the spine of the team Hart-Kompany-toure-Aguero is probably the best in the league. The midfield other than a seemingly unsettled toure must score more goals to take some pressure off of the forwards, Silva must have a good season withut him City are a much reduced team.

KEY POINTS: must defend better, must keep aguero fit

Liverpool
    Goals for :101 Goals against:50
    Wins:26
    Draws:6

Players in:
    Emre Can Bayer Leverkusen £8.0m
    Adam Lallana Southampton £25.0m
    Rickie Lambert Southampton £4.0m
    Dejan Lovren Southampton £20.0m
    Javi Manquillo Atletico Madrid Loan
    Lazar Markovic Benfica £20.0m
    Divock Origi Lille £10.0m
    Kevin Stewart Tottenham Hotspur Free

Players out:
    Pepe Reina Bayern Munich Undisclosed
    Luis Suarez Barcelona £75.0m

Ok Liverpools Players out was massive but loads of loans and releases/frees so i cut it down to the two important ones(That i saw).

Liverpool Scored the second most goals 101, but were 8th in the league for goals conceded 50.

Loosing Suarez with his 31 goals and 12 assists means that the pressure is on to defend much better and for other team mates to up their scoring. Only sturridge of all the pools player got into the top 9 scorers last season (2nd with 21 ) this means that if Sturridge can replace Suarez and score say 30 goals pool are still down 26 goals from last season, to help in this regard they have brought in Lambert and Lallana. Lambert scored 13 last year and if he can better this with liverpools creative midfield making chances it will offset Suarez to a large degree. Lallana scored 9 last year and again his ability to get goals will really effect Liverpools chances.

More importantly i thinks is liverpools Defence can they concede less goals but still be as attacking. They certainly have strengthened in defense Lovren Will be a good addition to they're back four, but i think that they will still stuggle in this department and with the addition games in europe an injury or two could kill Liverpools title hopes.

In the midfield my main worry would be the fading legs of gerard he is only a shadow of his former self which is a great pity for such a fantastic player, can henderson really get a grip with couthino of that midfield area and control teams liverpool arent really set up to do this but might need to adapt as i think other teams will be much tighter against them this year.

Rodgers Was my manager of the season last year i expect him to do well this season and adapt to life after Suarez.

Key Points: May Struggle to score as many without Suarez, Must defend far better, Lack of Quality in depth in the squad is a weakness

Chelsea
    Goals for :71 Goals against:27
    Wins:25
    Draws:7

Players in:
    Diego Costa Atletico Madrid £32.0m
    Didier Drogba Galatasaray Free
    Cesc Fabregas Barcelona £30.0m
    Filipe Luis Atletico Madrid £20.0m
    Mario Pasalic Hajduk Split Undisclosed

Players out:
    Demba Ba Besiktas £8.0m
    Samuel Eto'o Unassigned Players Released
    Frank Lampard Unassigned Players Released
    David Luiz Paris St Germain £40.0m
    Romelu Lukaku Everton £28.0m

Chelsea had the best Defence Last season 27 thats 10 Less than the champions this was a remarkable achievement conceding less than a goal every two games, they did however struggle to score 71 is over thirty less than both City and Liverpool!!

Chelsea's defence was amazing last season in this aspect they have done great business selling Luiz to PSG for £40M and buying in Luis from Athletico for £20M
    I think they can probably be as good this year Terry is 33 and has a few years left at the top. Cahill is a great center back and In Ivanović and Azpilicueta They have quality in both full back positions

Chelsea have prob the most exciting mid field in the competition, Hazard, Schürrle, Oscar, Ramires, Willian , Cesc Fàbregas - need i go on!!

Up front Chelsea have done good business shipping out both Ba and Eto and bringing in Costa, he should be well suited to the league and help them score maybe 15-20 + this season. I was puzzled about why Drogba was brought back at 36 years old and Lukaku who seams to have the potential (15 goals in league) was shipped out, maybe some chelsea fan can explain.

Mourinho is a top top class manager and has proven it again and again, i think he will be very hard to beat this year and he always gets his tactics spot on in the big games.
    I do think that Chelsea's midfield will need to get more goals this season and an injury/slow start for costa could take them off the rails, as im not sure drogba can fill in for him other than the last twenty of a match!

Key points: Need to Score more goals, Can drogba do it again at the Bridge??

Arsenal
    Goals for :68 Goals against:41
    Wins:24
    Draws:7
    Losses:7

Players in:

Calum Chambers Southampton Undisclosed
    Mathieu Debuchy Newcastle United £12.0m
    David Ospina Nice Undisclosed
    Alexis Sanchez Barcelona £35.0m

Players out:

Nicklas Bendtner Unassigned Players Released
    Daniel Boateng Unassigned Players Released
    Lukasz Fabianski Swansea City Free
    Carl Jenkinson West Ham United Loan
    Bacary Sagna Manchester City Free
    Thomas Vermaelen Barcelona £15.0m

Arsenal Scored 68 goals last season and conceeded 41 which funnily enough was fourth in both categories in the league the same position in which they finished. This illustrates Arsenals problem good at both but not great at either.
    Man City's Goal Difference was 38 better than them last season Liverpools 24 and Chelsea's 17.

While the other two teams had (arguably) problems with defence or attack Arsenal had them in both departments which is a hard nut to crack, how does Wenger go about scoring more goals while still defending better?

Now we must keep in mind that Arsenal had more injuries (AFAIK) to key players last season so maybe this is a factor.

To get the goals Arsenal have brought in Sanchez who played with Barca last season scoring 19 goals. While undoubtedly a great talent im not sure if he can score that many in the Premiership in his first season, Giroud is just not good enough for me at the top level he got 16 goals from 36 starts last season and thats not enough to win the league!!

Arsenal have a great attack/possession midfield and if they can keep them fit (is it just me or do arsenal always have big injuy problems?) theres plenty of goals there.

The problem is that once again they seem to have forgotten that key holding midfielder which the other teams have. Wenger in my opinion has never replaced Viera which is one reason arsenal struggle in the league through a complete season. Don't get me wrong they have players who will do a job there but to win the league thats not enough.

In defence Arsenal have shipped out Vermelen and brought in Debuchy, i looked at arsenals Squad Here and if thats correct i really think they will struggle this season in defence, i know the window is still open for ages but Wenger need to get his finger out and buy players in to solve this!!

I have to admit i'm not a Wenger fan, this is because he has a philosophy of how football should be played and won't change it, for years this was the exact way to play and the invincibles proved this.

Football however moved on mister wenger didn't. Now i know that his budgets are tight and arsenal have a really great financial model but when faced with this a top manger adapts his philosophy which i feel Wenger cannot/will not do.

Because of this i think arsenal a destined for 3/4 spot, probably taking third third.

Key Points: Must Buy defenders/ defensive midfielder and another striker

Man Utd
    I was only going to do the top four but i said i must make a mention of Utd, i don't have the time to go looking for all the data so maybe someone else could do a similar post for them.

i reckon they have to far to go to win the league this year, the key here is there are so many changes required at the club it will be too hard to gel them all in, so far they have bought herrara and shaw and shipped out a lot of experience with the league start only 3 days away they need to buy more players.

If pushed on it I reckon Utd can get Fourth but i would require a great seson from them and Van Gaal, instead i reckon 5th with Van Gaal doing a few transfers at Xmas and the a clearout when he knows the squad better next summer.

ok Everyone feel free to criticize im far from an expert and this is really just my pub opinions backed up with a small few pages of links!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

murphk wrote: »
    ok Everyone feel free to criticize im far from an expert and this is really just my pub opinions backed up with a small few pages of links!!

No different to everybody else here in that regard.

United not off to the start that most expected.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

djPSB wrote: »
    United not off to the start that most expected.
    To be fair Arsenal lost 3-1 to Villa on the first day of the season last year and United beat Swansea 4-1.

Marathon not a sprint and all that :)

Fairly spot on there!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Relegation:
    - Southhampton >>> Cast Iron certainties to go down, bolted on. Sold their squad, Pacetinhno gone, Wife of Ex Owner taking the money and running, Championship next year. End of.

:pac:

Fairly spot on there!!

So far....

Bump.

Always fun to look back at these. Still a long way to go mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Al Capwned wrote: »
    Chelsea
    City
    Arsenal
    United
    Spurs
    Liverpool

Relegated: Burnley, Hull, West Ham (!!)

Top Goalscorer: Wayne Rooney

Yeah tis fun to look back at them alright....
    I'd take the top 6 right now, have a feeling I might have been wrong about the Hammers however....... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

Chelsea
    City
    United
    Arsenal
    Pool
    Spurs
    Everton

Between United, arsenal and Liverpool for last 2 champion's league spots. Think Chelsea and city will be closest to the title. Being a spurs fan don't think we've enough for top 4. Only if soldado scores goals and lamela and Eriksen can in some way hit form big time and replace the loss of Bale. And if poch gets them playing well. All very big ifs

Of course i meant kane, not soldado

1. Chelsea
    2. Liverpool
    3. Arsenal
    4. Man City
    5. Man United
    6. Spurs
    7. Newcastle
    8. Everton
    9. Swansea
    10. Southampton
    11. West Ham
    12. QPR
    13. Sunderland
    14. Crystal Palace
    15. Stoke City
    16. West Brom
    17. Burnley
    18. Aston Villa
    19. Hull City Tigers
    20. Leicester

Top Scorer: Diego Costa
    POTY: Cesc Fabregas
    YPOTY: Raheem Sterling
    FA Cup Winners: Spurs

Relatively happy with my predictions overall as it stands. Obvious ones I overrated are QPR and Liverpool. Costa looking good so far for top scorer, Cesc unlikely to win, Sterling probably behind Kane but in the running, Spurs still in the FA Cup but still in the other competitions so likely not a priority.

Still think Chelsea will win and those bottom 2 will go down, Villa should be ok

shano_88 wrote: »
    Top 6:

1. Chelsea
    2. Arsenal
    3. Man City
    4. Man Utd
    5. Spurs
    6. Liverpool

Relegation: Burnley, West Brom, Hull

Top Goalscorer: Ageuro

Hats off to shano_88! Top 6 correct bar Arsenal and City swapping positions, 2 out of 3 relegation teams correct, top goalscorer correct.

Impressive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

rob316 wrote: »
    Everyone writing liverpool off. Liverpool can cope without suarez they are much more of a team than an individual.
    General consensus seems to be that United will get top 4 with Liverpool missing out.
    rarnes1 wrote: »
    Was the general consensus last year too

I prefer reading back over this year's thread than last year's. :pac:

Some people got impressively close.

• Advertisement
Advertisement