Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premier League Predictions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

Precisely.

If you look at the two squads objectively, United's is superior.

Moyes' incompetence isn't a factor anymore.

Neither is Fergusons ability to get the team to over perform. I think you may greatly overestimate how good united are as individuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Before this thread descends into a Man Utd v Liverpool thread I think the best thing to do is start throwing up combined XIs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Hidalgo wrote: »
    Before this thread descends into ANOTHER Man Utd v Liverpool thread I think the best thing to do is start throwing up combined XIs

FYP

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

tritium wrote: »
    Neither is Fergusons ability to get the team to over perform. I think you may greatly overestimate how good united are as individuals.

But United now have Van Gaal...

Combined XI

De Gea
    Rafael
    Skrtel
    Evans
    Shaw
    Gerrard
    Herrera
    Sterling
    Mata
    Rooney
    Van Persie

Liverpool's performance last season was a function of the flux at United, City and Chelsea. I just can't see that happening this season, especially now they have to fight on four fronts.

yabadabado wrote: »
    United have bought in a proven manager and have a few of the best player's in the league.I don't know what Liverpool trying to get rid of Agger has to do with United but I think most would rate Evans higher than him.Rodgers obviously doesn't want him so no big deal him leaving.Agger decent footballer poor defender.
    Liverpool should have won the league last season but they let it slip away and for me they are are a poorer side now.
    They will be in the mix for fourth spot but nothing more IMO.

You lost the argument as soon as you said Evans > Agger....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,556 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

You lost the argument as soon as you said Evans > Agger....

Not gonna get involved in a United v Pool argument. Can't say anything negative about Liverpool without someone mentioning United.
    Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

There's a reason Rodgers brought in CB's... Agger is muck and has been for a while now.

On a more serious note.
    If Costa settles that could be the winning of it for Chelsea. He's my prediction for the new Suarez eating up column inches in the papers and online media.

If Ageuro could stay fit enough to play 30 odd league games and Jovetic features it will be a big boost to Citys attack.

Imo they'll finish 1 and 2. City to win it.

Arsenal 3rd and Utd and Liverpool to duke it out for the final cl spot.

There's a reason Rodgers brought in CB's... Agger is muck and has been for a while now.

The same reason LVG has desperately been trying to pinch an Arsenal defender and also wants Hummel's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

The same reason LVG has desperately been trying to pinch an Arsenal defender and also wants Hummel's?

I've already said United's defence needs work and additions, don't know what you're trying to prove there.
    He's already singled out Evans for praise BTW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

City to win again
    Between either Liverpool or Utd for second.
    Chelsea filling out the remaining champions league spot.
    Arsenal, Everton and spurs all battling for fifth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

But United now have Van Gaal...

Combined XI

De Gea
    Rafael
    Skrtel
    Evans
    Shaw
    Gerrard
    Herrera
    Sterling
    Mata
    Rooney
    Van Persie

Liverpool's performance last season was a function of the flux at United, City and Chelsea. I just can't see that happening this season, especially now they have to fight on four fronts.

Dont start this s**t, please.

We can do without a s**tstorm on a Sunday morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,033 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Precisely.

If you look at the two squads objectively, United's is superior.

Moyes' incompetence isn't a factor anymore.

I really don't think utd fans realise the miracles ferguson was doing with the squads he has. It will never happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭Robson99

niallo27 wrote: »
    I really don't think utd fans realise the miracles ferguson was doing with the squads he has. It will never happen again.
    Miracles is o.t.t. He done very well in his last season with the squad he had and injuries. Saying he was working miracles with squads he had is just a typical lazy effort from an anti United supporter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭xtal191

1. Man City
    2. Chelsea
    3. Arsenal
    4. Man Utd
    5. Liverpool
    6. Everton
    7. Spurs

Top scorer: Rooney

POTY: Silva

YPOTY: Sterling

Robson99 wrote: »
    Miracles is o.t.t. He done very well in his last season with the squad he had and injuries. Saying he was working miracles with squads he had is just a typical lazy effort from an anti United supporter

I think its more an acknowledgement of the force of will Ferguson instilled in his teams. Even many united fans acknowledged and indeed delighted in his teams overcoming teams that were on paper far superior. Unfortunately once he left its difficult to find another manager that can replicate that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Chelsea
    City

United
    Arsenal
    Liverpool

Spurs
    Everton

There's more historical proof that shows a team who have been top for years can have a blip and overcome it again than there is to show a team who have been outside the top 4 for years can have a big season and stay there long term. I think Liverpool will still steamroll smaller teams, but just think that with added pressure of Europe, as well as having lost Suarez and not replacing him, they won't get back to the top again.

Chelsea have strengthened significantly. City haven't but didn't need to. Arsenal have improved. United, under new management, will improve. It's going to be a tight old year, but experience will win out imo.

I think its more an acknowledgement of the force of will Ferguson instilled in his teams. Even many united fans acknowledged and indeed delighted in his teams overcoming teams that were on paper far superior. Unfortunately once he left its difficult to find another manager that can replicate that.

I don't think United could have been anymore dominant in the P.L. that they were. There was very few years when they were inferior to other teams squad wise. Arsenal and Chelsea on a couple of seasons. However considering the squads United had they under achieved in the Champs League. So saying fergies achieved miracles with his squads is garbage talk.

Lord TSC wrote: »

There's more historical proof that shows a team who have been top for years can have a blip and overcome it again than there is to show a team who have been outside the top 4 for years can have a big season and stay there long term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,033 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Robson99 wrote: »
    I don't think United could have been anymore dominant in the P.L. that they were. There was very few years when they were inferior to other teams squad wise. Arsenal and Chelsea on a couple of seasons. However considering the squads United had they under achieved in the Champs League. So saying fergies achieved miracles with his squads is garbage talk.

Well if that's the case utd should win the league handy this season. My original point wasn't a dig at utd by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,355 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I understand people having Liverpool in 5th with Utd getting top 4. it's perfectly reasonable as Utd's squad still has seasoned winners and a world class manager.

what I don't understand is people putting Spurs ahead of us.

what the fúck have they done to overtake us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

1. Chelsea
    2. Liverpool
    3. Arsenal
    4. Man City
    5. Man United
    6. Spurs
    7. Newcastle
    8. Everton
    9. Swansea
    10. Southampton
    11. West Ham
    12. QPR
    13. Sunderland
    14. Crystal Palace
    15. Stoke City
    16. West Brom
    17. Burnley
    18. Aston Villa
    19. Hull City Tigers
    20. Leicester

Top Scorer: Diego Costa
    POTY: Cesc Fabregas
    YPOTY: Raheem Sterling
    FA Cup Winners: Spurs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

lordgoat wrote: »

Name one club that has sold there best goal scorer/player for a **** load of money and replaced them adequately?

to be fair liverpool have spent the last 35 years selling the top strikers at their peaks and replacing them quite well

keegan replace by kenny
    rush replaced by aldridge
    fowler replaced by owen
    owen replaced by torres
    torres replaced by suarez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,284 ✭✭✭✭rob316

rossie1977 wrote: »
    keegan replace by kenny
    fowler replaced by owen
    owen replaced by torres

Owen replaced by torres? In fairness there is a gap of a few years there.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭average hero

I think Chelsea will win it this year. No more little horse talk from Mou! Courtois is a world class keeper and bringing in Costa is a big boost. They have a range of options up front so it's really a case of being defensively solid and they'll have a good year.

I can see my beloved Man Utd in and around 3rd or 4th. Much as I like the way van Gaal is moving things along, Utd don't have the squad that Chelsea or Man City have. The lack of European football will be of benefit to them though.

1. Chelsea
    2. Man City
    3. Arsenal
    4.Man Utd/Liverpool

• Advertisement

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Chelsea
    City

United
    Arsenal
    Liverpool

Spurs
    Everton

Same as this imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,383 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Chelsea
    City
    Arsenal
    Liverpool
    Everton
    United
    Spurs

Relegated

Burnley
    West Brom
    Leicester

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I can see the top 7 being 10-15 points ahead of the rest whatever about the order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

rossie1977 wrote: »
    to be fair liverpool have spent the last 35 years selling the top strikers at their peaks and replacing them quite well

keegan replace by kenny
    fowler replaced by owen
    owen replaced by torres

Wasn't Torres replaced with Andy Carroll? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

1st - Chelsea
    2nd - Liverpool
    3rd - Arsenal
    4th - City

Don't think there will be more than a couple of points between them, maybe Chelsea will open up a little gap.

It's really wide open season, hard to know what to expect from UTD and Spurs, I'm sure both will improve and think Everton will be right up there as well.

If Sturridge isn't out for too many games with injuries I'd have him as top scorer and can see Sterling or Coutinho winning young player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

1 Chelsea- I think they will win the league comfortably. Huge upgrades in midfield in matic and fabregas compared to the start of last season. In costa they also now have a striker that should get atleast 15 league goals. They also have the best defence.
    2 Arsenal- With sanchez and a fit walcott I think we will see the best out of Ozil this season.
    3 Man Utd- I think there will be a huge improvement on last year and the confidence should come back due to their favourable opening fixtures which will get everybody back onboard.
    4 Liverpool- While suarez is a huge loss they have proved when he was banned before they can win matches without him. The signings while none standout give some much needed competition and different options from the bench. However If a striker isnt added before the end of the window Id be inclined to think they wont make top 4.
    5 Man City- Controversial but I just have a feeling they will lose some motivation and end up focusing on the Champions league. If they can keep aguero fit its a different story as Id rate him as the best striker in the league.

I think the 3 promoted teams will stay up with the 3 for the drop coming from villa, swansea, west brom and west ham.

Top Scorer Sturridge
    Player of the year Fabregas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,284 ✭✭✭✭rob316

1. Chelsea
    2. Liverpool
    3. City
    4. Man United

The order of that can change but I ultimately see City or Chelsea winning it has there squads are chock full of quality.

Yes, I have went for Arsenal to drop out of the Top 4, to me the manager is the problem, they were battered by Liverpool, City and Chelsea away when it really mattered. Maybe there FA cup win will help them with there big game bottle but for now I cant see them winning a PL title. Alexis Sanchez is an excellent signing.

Liverpool showed last season they can handle the big high pressure games and blow away the lesser teams granted they have lost Suarez, they have addressed some glaring issues in the squad and with the addition of a Top CF they could firmly establish themselves as PL contenders. A tighter defence and the talent foursome of Henderson, Sturridge, Coutinho and Sterling will see them right up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

After spending much of the summer scrubbing the egg off my face I will neither be making a prediction, nor mocking anyone else's this year.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

rob316 wrote: »
    Owen replaced by torres? In fairness there is a gap of a few years there.
    Won the CL in that time, no need for one :pac:

Think it'll be incredibly hard to predict the top 7 this year of all years, all dependent on Costa settling, Aguero staying injury free, how Arsenal's new signings do, if Liverpool & Utd sign strikers and centre backs respectively, how Everton cope with extra games, how Pochettino does with Spurs and if Lamela finds his spark

As of now:
    1. Chelsea
    2. Manchester City
    3. Arsenal
    4. Liverpool
    5. Manchester United
    6. Spurs
    7. Everton

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

TOP 4
    Chelsea
    Arsenal
    Liverpool
    Man City

RELEGATED
    Leicester City
    Burnley
    West Brom

Top Scorer - Sturridge
    POTY - Ramsey
    YPOTY - Coutinho

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

1 - City
    2 - Liverpool
    3 - Chelsea
    4 - United

It'll be close between United and Arsenal, I think the other 3 positions will be straightforward enough.

I fancy Villa, Swansea and West Brom to get relegated, Villa rock bottom after one of the worst transfer windows I can ever remember from a PL side.

Top scorer - Sturridge
    POTY - Rooney
    YPOTY - Sterling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

1. Man City (Won't be top all along, backlog of games and all that)
    2. Arsenal (Injur(y/ies) and loss of form will see them fall away after the 2/3 stage, the usual)
    3. Chelsea (Will bottle it defensively or Costa will be unavailable too often for them to have a proper attack)
    4. Man Utd (early Fa cup exit could see them push as far as second)

5. Liverpool (Too much to expect all of their signings to settle immediately, will need them to in order to handle europe, cups and the odd injury to attacking players)
    6. Everton (Won't perform as well as last season, will still be in the neutral's good books)
    7. Spurs (They're in the wrong league, too competitive for them to break into top 4, especially in Pochettino's flirt year)

Top scorer: Aguero or RVP (whoever's injured the least)

POTY: Kompany

YPOTY: Sanogo, lamella. Bold

Saints to hover around the drop zone for the majority of the season

18. Burnley
    19. West Brom
    20. Sunderland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Sheepy99 wrote: »
    2. Arsenal (Injur(y/ies) and loss of form will see them fall away after the 2/3 stage, the usual)

People always say this but in 2 of the last 3 seasons Arsenal have gone on superb runs after christmas near the end of the season after starting poorly. It's all the same in the end whatever way around but it's just a point of note. Consistency over the course of the season is key.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

1. City
    2. Arsenal
    3. Chelsea
    4. United
    5. Spurs

6/7/8 a mix up between Newcastle, Everton & Liverpool

Top Scorer: Costa
    POTY: Ramsey
    YPOTY : Sterling

Relegated West Brom, Sunderland & Burnley

I can't believe so many people are going for Arsenal to finish 2nd or 3rd. I'll eat my own head if that happens.

The fans will be calling for Wengers head as per usual by March.

• Advertisement

I can't believe so many people are going for Arsenal to finish 2nd or 3rd. I'll eat my own head if that happens.

The fans will be calling for Wengers head as per usual by March.

Spoken like a true Liverpool man

Soups123 wrote: »
    Spoken like a true Liverpool man

Or a knowledgeable football fan?

Or a knowledgeable football fan?

Really as a knowledgable football fan you can't see how a team that has finished consistently in the top for over the past 15 years could possibly get the extra couple of points needed to finish 2nd or 3rd.

And at the same time you have Liverpool finishing second

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Arsenal have the 3rd best squad in the league so I don't see how having them finish 2nd or 3rd is an outlandish claim.

Really as a knowledgable football fan you can't see how a team that has finished consistently in the top for over the past 15 years could possibly get the extra couple of points needed to finish 2nd or 3rd.

And at the same time you have Liverpool finishing second

Arsenal haven't finished 2nd in the table in 10 years and I don't see that changing this season.

Arsenal haven't finished 2nd in the table in 10 years and I don't see that changing this season.

And your excuse for 3rd?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

And your excuse for 3rd?

You really think Liverpool will be battling it out with Newcastle and Everton?

And your excuse for 3rd?

3 times in the last 9 seasons?

You can give out about my opinion all you like, neither of us will know who was right for another 9 months so keep your knickers on but I know for a fact Liverpool will not be battling against Newcastle for 6/7/8 in the table.

Fescue wrote: »

Only next year yes, I think they have made a lot of changes that need to settle and have lost Suarez. I think the CL will take its toll but I think they are on the way up longer term.

Just my opinion

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Fescue wrote: »

I think that Liverpool will really struggle.

Suarez gone - That's huge. To suggest otherwise is head in the sand stuff

Fighting on four fronts - Last season they could just focus on the League.

5th would be my call.

Advertisement