Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help Save Real Oviedo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

CSF wrote: »
    Not remember Ebbsfleet? Surely the novelty has worn off already because it sure has for them.

I remember shares being pretty pricey at the time because I was intrigued but not at the price they were going for.
    Patriotism isn't irrational at all, its an extension of the community, which is an extension of the family, all stemming from the human being's instinctive desire to belong to social groups.

Yes it's an instinctual reaction as a remnant to when tribalism was good for our existence but it's not logical. We can embrace it (and I do) for the emotion we can take from our teams winning but realise there is no logic behind supporting them at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Alrights lads,don't want to interrupt yas all, sorry to bother yas, but ya see we're off on a trip in January see, for a footbally tourney in Austria as it so happens, and matter of fact, would ya believe it, we're all going over to see the Real lads play, and we're gonna have a match against their academy team, anyways to call an orange an orange , thought I'd appeal to the generous shareholders to spot a few quid to help pay for the teams trip over, moneys tight, flights are expensive, you know the usual and all. In the past me and the lads, we'd have to bagpack to get funds, you know yourself, grocerys in the bags and away you go, thank you very much for the change love...but anyways now people don't like us packing their bags or givinng us money and it's all sorts of bother ya know yourself, so we don't get into it,

So I thought to meself, why not just quit to the chase and appeal to the kind hearts, to help the local team, play a bit a football, that's all its about an all ain't it, havin a laugh and kicking the ball, whether its in a field in Ballydoyle or on the steeets of Puerto Rico? That's what I thought anywayt, thanks an all the rest, ya won't regret it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Alrights lads,don't want to interrupt yas all, sorry to bother yas, but ya see we're off on a trip in January see, for a footbally tourney in Austria as it so happens, and matter of fact, would ya believe it, we're all going over to see the Real lads play, and we're gonna have a match against their academy team, anyways to call an orange an orange , thought I'd appeal to the generous shareholders to spot a few quid to help pay for the teams trip over, moneys tight, flights are expensive, you know the usual and all. In the past me and the lads, we'd have to bagpack to get funds, you know yourself, grocerys in the bags and away you go, thank you very much for the change love...but anyways now people don't like us packing their bags or givinng us money and it's all sorts of bother ya know yourself, so we don't get into it,

So I thought to meself, why not just quit to the chase and appeal to the kind hearts, to help the local team, play a bit a football, that's all its about an all ain't it? That's what I thought anywayt, thanks an all the rest, ya won't regret it!

Dont know if your serious or not but register on fundraising site here,and its free to set up.Then spread the word.

http://www.gofundme.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

dahat wrote: »
    Help Save Me,selling shares at 5 euro.............

Ok, but baggs your liver for when mine fails.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Why not as a compromise try to help Salamanca. They are Spanish but were set up by Irish students, should satisfy everyone.

They are also in the Segunda B, are a fairly big team, and most importantly of all, beat Oviedo 3-1 in the battle of the sleeping, broke, mini-giants a few weeks ago.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

cambo2008 wrote: »
    I've never had any dislike for the LOI until I started posting in this forum.
    The same people turn up in every thread they can to spout the usual bollox.

If this is representative of the average LOI fan then I couldn't give a flying f**k what happens the clubs in it anymore.

I've read this before. Is this just valid for the LOI or do you judge the Premiership and its clubs on the 'usual bollox' spouted in its threads as well? La Liga?

And if you did support an LOI club once, shouldn't you be aware whether it is representative? Shouldn't you be aware where they are coming from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

Do I get a Certificate saying I own part of the club if I buy shares?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Leiva wrote: »
    Cazorla, Mata and Michu ... couple of weeks wages each, sorted !

joking.

good idea but and I see the hung a banner thanking all UK donations/purchases

The 3 of them did actually buy some, but they haven't said how much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

looder wrote: »

I second this question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

dfx- wrote: »

I've read this before. Is this just valid for the LOI or do you judge the Premiership and its clubs on the 'usual bollox' spouted in its threads as well? La Liga?

And if you did support an LOI club once, shouldn't you be aware whether it is representative? Shouldn't you be aware where they are coming from?
    To be honest, my dislike of Liverpool wasn't what it is now until I started posting here either.
    I guess anonymity amplifies the attitude of some people and I don't notice it as much in everyday life.

The chip on the shoulder has always been there with LOI fans and as I said I probably didn't notice it as much until it's typed out in front of you from some smart ass, skinny nerd that has license to mouth off to his hearts content without the fear of retribution.

I've no problem with people having an opinion on who others support. It's the way they go about telling them on here.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

looder wrote: »

Yes.
    You will be issued with a Share cert. Just like you have if you bought shares in Manchester UTD a decade ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

I donated to spite LOI fans:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

I've never known a bunch of football "supporters" so sensitive as some on here. Probably best a lot of you don't regularly frequent the inside of football grounds as the bad language and people being passionate may offend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,899 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Of the 47 people who have thanked this post so far, I wonder how many support English teams and in doing so help a foreign club by buying jerseys etc? Just wondering...

I've thanked it. I openly support an English club. I also buy Shels merchandise every year to do my bit for my LoI club despite living on the other side of the world and not being to a game since 2006.

It's possible to do both, and plenty do. The problem is there are too many who won't but instead will dip into their pockets to jump aboard a bandwagon to save 'Real hadn't heard of them until this week'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I've thanked it. I openly support an English club. I also buy Shels merchandise every year to do my bit for my LoI club despite living on the other side of the world and not being to a game since 2006.

It's possible to do both, and plenty do. The problem is there are too many who won't but instead will dip into their pockets to jump aboard a bandwagon to save 'Real hadn't heard of them until this week'.

Tbf Sid Lowe has been banging on about them for years...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Rekop dog wrote: »
    I donated to spite LOI fans:)

Oh you...
    oh_you_BH.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Is that page down now for anyone else?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

CSF wrote: »
    People are entitled to do whatever they want. This isn't a discussion about what people should be allowed do.

But donating money to dying Spanish club who you've no connection to, instead of dying Irish club who you've no connection to, that just defies all logic. The sort of thing sociologists will probably look back on in a few hundred years with no logical answer for it.

I have a feeling the sociologist would turn around and have some questions for you as the emboldened scenario means nothing now and hardly will in "a few hundred years".

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Irish people don't follow clubs like Oviedo though. They latch on to English clubs. Because England has a world renowned league, has done for about 60 years and is a short hop away over the Irish Sea.

FYP ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

The difference between this thread and the Hearts thread is staggering.

Xavi6 wrote: »

As far as i'm aware there are no League of Ireland clubs looking for donations in Co. Mayo. So, for now, and seeing as Oviedo have asked and shown an interest, i will throw them a few pound. Because, it's my choice, you know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,505 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Of the 47 people who have thanked this post so far, I wonder how many support English teams and in doing so help a foreign club by buying jerseys etc? Just wondering...

I openly support an English team, however am not a jersey wearer and only an occasional match goer.

If i had extra cash to donate to a club, i`d rather give to a club that might give a tangible reward from which myself or someone i know may benefit from.

Be that in the form of on the pitch success, be that by giving children something to do by joining the local club, be that by giving employment to local people ( directly or indirectly ), be that by giving someone the first step in a possible career in a sport that they love, be that by contributing to the National side at any level, be that by helping the local community, be that by feeling some personal belonging to the club ( and not just a number on a share certificate ).

For me, its more about community than football ( although football come into it ), for others it might be getting a kick out of owning part of a bigger club and laying claim to part of their future success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

FYP ;)
    Tends to be either Manchester United or Liverpool though, funny that. Although my 13 year old cousin and all his mates are Chelsea fans. They'll think of some 'genuine connection' yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,505 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Tends to be either Manchester United or Liverpool though, funny that. Although my 13 year old cousin and all his mates are Chelsea fans. They'll think of some 'genuine connection' yet.

That tends to happen though...

Children of the eighties followed the success of Liverpool..

Children of the nineties followed the success of Manchester United..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,364 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I didn't realise everyone who buys a share will get a cert.
    I thought I read on Saturday that if you wanted a cert you had to email them and ask, but apparently everyone will get something like this:
    A6uqv07CEAEFkFt-e1351895927360.jpg

Has anyone got any sort or email from them since buying? I just got a paypal receipt but I have seen people on twitter who say they have got emails confirming their purchase?
    bohsman wrote: »
    The difference between this thread and the Hearts thread is staggering.

I don't know much about Hearts because I don't follow the SPL, but a quick read of the thread tells me they are still owned by a Russian sugar daddy and they are in debt to his bank to the tune of £22m, money which one poster says he wants back.

So Hearts can go f**k themselves if they think I am giving them money. Let them go the route of Rangers, the Russian can f**k off and we can have another fan-owned club in football - The way it should be everywhere.

Also, a quick read of the Russian guy's wiki says this:
    Hearts, like many other Scottish Premier League clubs, ran into severe financial difficulties during the early part of the 2000s. An assessment by PWC in the autumn of 2003 found that Hearts, along with four other SPL clubs, was technically insolvent.[14] Dundee and Livingston subsequently went into administration,[15][16] while Hibs and Dunfermline both took drastic measures to balance their finances, cutting their player budgets severely[17][18] and selling assets.[19] Vladimir Romanov had shown interest in investing in Scottish football for some time because he wanted to see whether Lithuanian footballers could prosper abroad.[20] Scottish football clubs were particularly ripe for takeover due to their weak finances and corporate structures.[21] He made approaches to Dundee United,[4] Dundee[4] and Dunfermline,[4] but these were all rejected.[4]
    The bolded part is what should have been done in the first place, cut the budget and sort yourselves out, not go on unsustainably with the help of a sugar daddy. It says further down that their fans welcomed it, so I welcome the winding up order :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

Real Madrid have bought €100,000 worth of shares. Fair play to them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

You can pay into St Pats in Richmond Park in Inchicore on any match night, whenever the need arises to see decent football played by semi pros.

Cheers...k...thx....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

i wouldnt mind having a share in a football club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

That's the spirit!!

eh? What the hell would anyone want to support a club that has got themselves into this mess in first place?

Why not support a Irish club. If Monaghan United asked for the same they been laughed at in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

One nil win for Oviedo today in front of a crowd of 20,500. Up to fourth and a play off position! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

Can you make money out of this if they start doing well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Meglamonia wrote: »
    Can you make money out of this if they start doing well?

This is from the club website:

9-What do I gain by being a shareholder? Will I make my money back?

Probably not. Realistically, you will gain nothing. But we believe this is bigger than that: it is the chance to help save one of Spain’s most historic clubs. The value of your shares is not likely to go up. In financial terms, it is likely to be worth nothing to you. But you will be part of the salvation and you will officially be a part-owner. Please do not spend money that you cannot afford. This is effectively a donation (you can also make a donation without buying shares if you want).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

eugeneious wrote: »
    Real Madrid have bought €100,000 worth of shares. Fair play to them!

Do they not get bankrolled by the governments bank by giving them massive "loans" then writing them off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,991 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Do they not get bankrolled by the governments bank by giving them massive "loans" then writing them off?

Simple answer? No.

I also though the Prime minister was a Barca fan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

NIMAN wrote: »
    Simple answer? No.

I also though the Prime minister was a Barca fan?

Zapatero was a Barca fan, I'm pretty sure Rajoy is a Madrid fan.

Who, Madrid or Oviedo?

The answer to both is no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Seaneh wrote: »
    Who, Madrid or Oviedo?

The answer to both is no.

He's on about Madrid.

you hear sometimes that Real & Barca are in/have massive debt to banks in Spain and the banks don't look for it back/write it off/are accommodating to them about it, another reason that comes up is the banks fear a public backlash if they did.

So is there no truth to it all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Any links to help save these Irish clubs?

Most clubs have some type of Fans' organisation to help their club out financially, at Shels we're in the middle of getting a Trust going, we'll happily take donations or even better become a member and you'll probably end up with a share in a Irish club!

batistuta9 wrote: »
    He's on about Madrid.

you hear sometimes that Real & Barca are in/have massive debt to banks in Spain and the banks don't look for it back/write it off/are accommodating to them about it, another reason that comes up is the banks fear a public backlash if they did.

So is there no truth to it all?

They are in debt, but it's not like they have an overdraft due at the end of the the month and the bank just look the other way.

As far as I know both clubs are running a profit yearly these days, if a business is making profit the debt ins't really important.

Then there is a totally different and separate issue of certain clubs in Spain ) Real Madrid, Athletic Bilbao, and Osasuna, Barcelona) being organised as what are known as "registered associations" which are like social groups, board members can't invest any money in the club, nobody can buy shares, just yearly memberships and any one person can only own 1 share at a time. Every member gets a vote and a board is elected each year etc. This does not protect the clubs from being bankrupt or from having their debts called in by debtors, despite what is often claimed in newspapers/forums.

Real Madrid's old training groups was rezoned for comercial use in the late 90's then they gave the council part of it, the council in turn gave them the last where they built their new complex, which was much bigger, but outside the city and not worth a whole lot. Real sold the rest of the land to 3 different companies who build offices on the old training centre.

They made enough from the sale to clear their debts at the time (€270m) and used the rest to sign Zidane and the rest of the Galacticos.
    At the time a lot of people cried foul and claimed that Real were over paid by the companies and the council and it was bankrolled by a banking group based in Madrid but an EU investigation into it proved the claims were a load of bollocks and sour grapes.

Basically, Barcelona and Real have hugh debts, but their debts are worth a lot less than the value of the clubs, barcelona's debt is about 58% of the value of the club and Real's is about 55% of the value of the club (real owe more but is also worth more).

Their debt isn't much of an issue because both clubs are worth far more than their debt and can safely afford to service any debt they have.

There was one minor blip for Barcelona a couple of years ago where one august they were very close to missing a payment date but it turned out it was the president at the time making it out to be a lot worse than it really was to somehow help him in the upcomming elections... however that works...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,851 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Purchased a share. A worthy cause. My donation is in memory of an Irishman, Patrick O'Connell, who managed the club in the 1920's.
    Another worthy cause: I will be renewing my season ticket for Patricks next year.
    We need your support....C'mon the Saints!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Seaneh wrote: »
    As far as I know both clubs are running a profit yearly these days, if a business is making profit the debt ins't really important.
    Isn't that the Sean Quinn defence though?

Isn't that the Sean Quinn defence though?

No, because they are both entirely different cases.

Quinn group was running a profit but they were trying to hide 1.4billion of debt in Quinn Insurence and paper over it. Barcelona and Real's debt is publicly displayed and the clubs are both in good shape, debt is less than the value of the companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

Went to about 6 Bohs games last year. Wanted to do a bit more to help the club out. Club has a history of 122 years. Original members of the first leagues in Ireland. This thread has made me sign on for the 1 year membership at Bohs for €31 per month for which gets me:

-One equal share in the ownership of the Bohemian FC

-Annual membership card

-The right to attend and vote at all general meetings

-The honour of standing in club elections (after at least three years’ service)

-Free admission to main stand for all Bohemian FC home games

-Regular official club communications including annual report
    Priority access to match tickets and club events

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,543 ✭✭✭✭CSF

MANUTD99 wrote: »
    Went to about 6 Bohs games last year. Wanted to do a bit more to help the club out. Club has a history of 122 years. Original members of the first leagues in Ireland. This thread has made me sign on for the 1 year membership at Bohs for €31 per month for which gets me:

-Annual membership card

Thats deadly, fair play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Leiva wrote: »
    Cazorla, Mata and Michu ... couple of weeks wages each, sorted !

joking.

good idea but and I see the hung a banner thanking all UK donations/purchases

This x 1,000,000 (not joking)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,991 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Out of curiosity, how do you get your cert?

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Lucan Bohs

We finally have a site available for all of you who wish to purchase shares of Real Oviedo.  Just click on the link below and select English Version at the top and there rest should speak for itself, just follow the steps and you will be on your way to doing your part to save this historic club.  You must have a PayPal account in order to use the website. If you don`t have a PayPal account, you can open one by clicking HERE. Once you have selected the amount of shares you wish to purchase, write the name you wish to put on the certificate.  In the following box it asks for you DNI/NIF/CIF number.  If you don`t know what that is, you probably don`t have one and in that case don`t write anything and just continue on with your purchase by clicking ‘Comprar Ahora’ or ‘Buy Now’.  After that, it will ask you to confirm your information, billing information and credit card information.  Paypal is a very secure website, so there is little to no risk in inputting your credit card information.  Once that is done, the rest is self explanatory and you should be one your way to owning one of Spanish football`s most prestigious clubs!  Makes sure that after the transaction has been completed you  email Real Oviedo (info@realoviedo.es) with your name (and name you want on shares), address, reciept number and all of the other information given after the purchase. Enjoy and spread the word!!

Thank you to all of those who expressed interest in supporting this cause, you are truly the reason we do what we do.  On behalf of Ben Crump and Tom Conn, we thank you for supporting this important piece of Spanish football history!

-http://www.insidespanishfootball.com/sos-real-oviedo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

MANUTD99 wrote: »

-Annual membership card

Ah yeah but that doesn't have the same kudos as having a share in a Spanish team that no ****er has heard of. I wonder what the average salary of an Oviedo player is ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Santi Cazorla, Juan Mata and Michu have teamed up in an effort to save their former club Real Oviedo from going out of business.
    The Asturias side, who play in the Spanish third tier, are in a desperate financial state and it is understood they could go out of business within a fortnight if they don’t raise €2million.
    But Arsenal’s Cazorla, Mata of Chelsea and Swansea revelation Michu have bought shares in the club where they each started their careers in an effort to keep them afloat.

Michu, who played at Oviedo from the age of five until he was 21, said: 'Myself, Mata and Cazorla have all bought shares, but it would be wrong of me to say how much. We just wanted to try and help save the club we all played for.
    'The economy in Spain is very bad and the club needs around €2m to survive. A lot of people have bought shares and hopefully it will be enough by the closing date of November 17. It’s my local club, a club I love, so I hope it will be enough.’

Michu hopes his hometown club can experience a similar revival to that of Swansea, which almost went out of business 10 years ago.
    He added: ‘Swansea fans should know how much it means to me and the Oviedo supporters.
    'I remember reading up on the history of Swansea when I first arrived here; I remember reading how the Swansea supporters bought shares in this club when it was in trouble 10 years ago - and again many years before that.
    'And look at the club now; in the Premier League and winning at places like Anfield. Hopefully this SOS can have a similar reaction.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2229187/Santi-Cazorla-Juan-Mata-Michu-buy-Real-Oviedo-shares.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Lucan Bohs

€1.1 million raised so far including my tenner's worth ;)

According to- http://www.insidespanishfootball.com/sos-real-oviedo/

Per AS and Sid Lowe, Real Oviedo have collected over €1.1 million with a quarter of the shareholders purchasing shares via PayPal from over 60 different countries.

Per David Rodriguez Glez, last Sunday`s match against Real Madrid C was such an event that it was the 7th highest attended match in all football competitions in Spain last weekend.

The window is closing to purchase shares and raise the €800,000 remaining, but the club is confident that they will reach their goal and usher in a brighter future, with a newer and more diverse fan base.

Advertisement