Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

I'm not an Inter fan, but for some reason I have always liked their Pirelli Kits. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Kirby wrote: »
    A fit Benzema would be.....but he frequently isnt. He's a bit of a Rooney in that regard. Fitness isnt his thing. He clearly likes his food.

Personally, I wouldnt take him. There are better options out there.

Well he averages over 30 games a season - not exactly a sick note is he?

There are better forwards out there for sure - but options? not so sure, let's see what the Summer brings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

We have inquired about Ki according to Sky :o

Raf32 wrote: »
    We have inquired about Ki according to Sky :o

I hope they are on about Ki-Ora the diluted orange? I prefer Mi-Wadi to be honest :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭emmetlego

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    What don't you like about benzema? I think he has it all really
    Kirby answered for me. I think for the service he gets at RM, and the players around him, he doesn't score that much... Maybe it's just the games I've seen him in, as I probably see maybe 1 in 5 of RM's games...

Would be funny if they splashed out on Kane, and we got Benzema... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

It would be silly spending a lot of money to acquire a striker that cannot play on the same pitch as Giroud.

He could be better yeah but it leaves us in more or less the same position with more or less the same tactical options.

A pacy agressive finisher or a creative RWF gives us way more options.

Also Madrid aren't crazy enough to sell their only striker.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,396 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Giroud and Benzema have linked up pretty well anytime I've seen them play together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Giroud and Benzema have linked up pretty well anytime I've seen them play together.

Think Wenger would play two CFs though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

They haven't really though
    Wenger wrote:
    As for whether Olivier Giroud and Karim Benzema can play together, they can, yes. But up until now, their partnership hasn't worked so they must find another way.

It’s always hard. But you must have guys who are giving good assists as well as guys who can score.

There's a reason no-one really plays 2 up front. Benzema doesn't even give us a plan B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

If we win the cup this weekend we'll overtake United and hold the record for both highest Number of FA Cup finals and highest number of FA Cup Trophies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

If we win the cup this weekend we'll overtake United and hold the record for both highest Number of FA Cup finals and highest number of FA Cup Trophies.

If, if, if...Wenger would also be joint top as a manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭ronjo

L'prof wrote: »
    If, if, if...Wenger would also be joint top as a manager.

Who will he be joint with?

He would go ahead of Fergie woudnt he?

Its actually very strange that United havent won it since 2004.

ronjo wrote: »
    Who will he be joint with?

He would go ahead of Fergie woudnt he?

Its actually very strange that United havent won it since 2004.

George Ramsey at Villa. 1st in 1987, 6th in 1920.

i suppose he'd be quickest to 6 too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭ronjo

George Ramsey at Villa. 1st in 1987, 6th in 1920.

i suppose he'd be quickest to 6 too :D

Coventry won in 1987 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

He went back in time in a delorean to win the other FA cups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

gosplan wrote: »
    They haven't really though

There's a reason no-one really plays 2 up front. Benzema doesn't even give us a plan B.

There is one player already at Arsenal that Benzema does have a good understanding with, and it's not Giroud:

http://www.realmadrid.com/en/news/2013/05/ozil-and-benzema-as-a-partnership-have-provided-most-assists-in-the-league

I honestly think Benzema would be amazing in this arsenal team - his attitude and fitness have improved in the last couple of seasons. He's quick, strong and a decent finisher - and he's in (or entering) his prime. There really aren't that many better.

And I think his goal-scoring record obscures the fact that a CF at Madrid is not necessarily comparable to other out-and-out strikers, because there are other players that take penalties and Ronaldo is generally going to be in and around the spaces that he might expect to take up.

The fact that he's linked every summer with Arsenal means it probably isn't going to happen, but Wenger mentioning him in the press conference was interesting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Sacksian wrote: »
    There is one player already at Arsenal that Benzema does have a good understanding with, and it's not Giroud:

http://www.realmadrid.com/en/news/2013/05/ozil-and-benzema-as-a-partnership-have-provided-most-assists-in-the-league

I honestly think Benzema would be amazing in this arsenal team - his attitude and fitness have improved in the last couple of seasons. He's quick, strong and a decent finisher - and he's in (or entering) his prime. There really aren't that many better.

And I think his goal-scoring record obscures the fact that a CF at Madrid is not necessarily comparable to other out-and-out strikers, because there are other players that take penalties and Ronaldo is generally going to be in and around the spaces that he might expect to take up.

The fact that he's linked every summer with Arsenal means it probably isn't going to happen, but Wenger mentioning him in the press conference was interesting!

At times, yes. He showed up in Brazil for the world cup very fit and I believe thats why he played well in the tournament. It's not a coincidence. But he has put on a few pounds again in the last year. It's a pattern with him. And he is nowhere near as quick as he was back in his lyon days.

He's still only 27, and maybe Wenger can get the best out of him. I am not writing him off or anything. But I just think there are better options for Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Kirby wrote: »
    I am not writing him off or anything. But I just think there are better options for Arsenal.

That's fair enough. I can't think of many who would be better for Arsenal's system - genuinely think he'd really come alive as an undisputed main man, with Oezil feeding him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

They're coming from an academy that has made varane, aurier and kondogbia if I'm not mistaken, 3 of the best young players to come out of France recently

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    They're coming from an academy that has made varane, aurier and kondogbia if I'm not mistaken, 3 of the best young players to come out of France recently

They seem to be very highly rated too. The youth teams need all the help they can get from the looks of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,267 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I'd think a bit more of them if they were able to put their jerseys on the right way round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Underground

Cue the "my names Jeff" 22 Jump Street jokes. Bizarre Kriss-Kross style photo too.

Few rumours going around that Szc wont play on saturday. I really think that would mean its the end for him as Wenger would be doing a complete u turn on the same decision he had last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

It's amazing how things have changed in a year. I remember us debating whether Fabianski should start last year ahead of Szcz and now the roles have reversed. I don't really agree with the idea of having a cup gk but I think if you start the season that way then it should be finished the same way. It's a bit harsh for Wenger to suddenly change his mind at this stage though he must have good reason for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

If Fabianski was started even though he was leaving, chances are Szczesny will start. Wenger is loyal to his players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,267 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Few rumours going around that Szc wont play on saturday. I really think that would mean its the end for him as Wenger would be doing a complete u turn on the same decision he had last year.

Hope not. I think Chez will have a big future.
    Needed to be dropped though.

Akpom scored a cracker for the England U20s earlier. Goal is at the 1.10 mark.

Akpom scored a cracker for the England U20s earlier. Goal is at the 1.10 mark.

Nice, no backlift on that at all and some power! I won't lie, I had to go to Wikipedia to check was he one of the young lads we let go or not. I was more excited by Afobe to be honest and we let him go. That said, I genuinely haven't seen enough of Akpom to make that comment either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

I would love to see Wenger and the team win another FA Cup this year. Two trophies in two years will be excellent. Winning regularly creates winning mentality and that's what we need at our club at this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Nice, no backlift on that at all and some power! I won't lie, I had to go to Wikipedia to check was he one of the young lads we let go or not. I was more excited by Afobe to be honest and we let him go. That said, I genuinely haven't seen enough of Akpom to make that comment either.

I'm not convinced of Afobe yet, if he comes to the premiership and does a Harry Kane and has a stormer of a season then I get excited. Daryl Murphy who's extremely average player scored 27 goals in that league. Wenger wouldn't have let him go if he knew he turn out special. Akpom has that something special about him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Stuck a match thread up there lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Podolski has been linked with a move away to Galatasaray. Realistically it's of the few clubs left out there that'd pay his big wages and allow him to get first team football every week.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

HazDanz wrote: »
    I would love to see Wenger and the team win another FA Cup this year. Two trophies in two years will be excellent. Winning regularly creates winning mentality and that's what we need at our club at this time.

Pfft, three trophies in two years.

Charity Shield baby!*

*No, I don't think it counts either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,065 ✭✭✭DenMan

Supposedly Jackson Martinez is on the verge of joining Arsenal. I hope we get him! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

DenMan wrote: »
    Supposedly Jackson Martinez is on the verge of joining Arsenal. I hope we get him! :D

I'm guessing you're hearing this off Twitter?

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    I'm guessing you're hearing this off Twitter?

crap twitter or good twitter ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

greendom wrote: »
    crap twitter or good twitter ?

Is there a difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Is there a difference?

Yep. Like everything in life :)

Wouldn't be convinced about Martinez. 29 this year and what happens if he does a Soldado and flops? There'd be no resale value. Can't see Wenger taking the risk on him. Even Benteke would be a better option in that price range.

• Advertisement

Is there a difference?

There are excellent, reputable people/accounts who use twitter, and there are those that aren't.

It's all about the source

I see one of them saying that a big club is after Kos, what a nightmare that would be!

Is this real?
    CGLPYrZW0AMw7It.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

It's his verified account so appears to be!

Is this real?
    CGLPYrZW0AMw7It.png

What's dad been saying ?

greendom wrote: »
    What's dad been saying ?

Thats what I want to know :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

"His dad basically said that Arsenal have failed his son, the coaches aren't good enough, the smoking scandal was deliberately exaggerated by the media and Wenger didn't do enough to deny it, he then said that he shouldnt have to leave like Fabianski and go to a club like Swansea."

- source reddit

Whatever the circumstances it's unpleasant to see that kind of thing. Family is family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Whatever the circumstances it's unpleasant to see that kind of thing. Family is family.

Makes me think a bit more highly of Woj. Takes balls to do that, and it seems to indicate his head might be screwed on a bit better than I'd've otherwise assumed.

Not to say it makes up my mind about him, but it's a bit of positive evidence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭emmetlego

That's a ballsy statement. Takes guts, as family is family and all that. I'd be worried about his state of mind now... That has to be a huge weight on it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement