Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warriors Run 2015

Options
  • 13-05-2015 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭

That time of year again, with in person registrations in Strandhill on the 27th of May, and online on the 28th. Raceday is on 22nd August.

After a disspoiting result last year, had the training, and the distance in my legs, unfortunately tatics let me down.

Have not fully decided weather or not running, legs are older, and way more prone to injury, only that if I can not better 1hr 28min, it may be my last after giving it all i could last time out. Hoping Warrior of the Sea training will help.

Any hoots, over to the rest of you, and hopefully see a few familiar names, and sone new ones as well.

Comments

Will be hoping to get a place. Last year was the first time I had ever run that distance, it damn well nearly killed me, I managed to dislocate 2 ribs during the race and finished crying in 2 hours :pac:

Soooo I was hoping for a particular time this year but that was on the back of having completing a marathon early in the summer which I have now had to pull out of due to injury.

I'm not doing too well so far am I? :pac:

Anyway I'm back training and hopefully I'll do better than last year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    That time of year again, with in person registrations in Strandhill on the 27th of May, and online on the 28th. Raceday is on 22nd August.

After a disspoiting result last year, had the training, and the distance in my legs, unfortunately tatics let me down.

Have not fully decided weather or not running, legs are older, and way more prone to injury, only that if I can not better 1hr 28min, it may be my last after giving it all i could last time out. Hoping Warrior of the Sea training will help.

Any hoots, over to the rest of you, and hopefully see a few familiar names, and sone new ones as well.

Yep! Reg tonight in Strandhill and quick fingers needed for online reg tomorrow at 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Slideways

If a certain someone gets me a ticket I shall travel home from Aus for the race.

Fingers crossed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

demfad wrote: »
    Yep! Reg tonight in Strandhill and quick fingers needed for online reg tomorrow at 4.

Yeap. 8pm registration starts. Would be there earlier my self though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭davef1000

For the third year running I've squeaked in with a place thanks to somebody else registering a team before I got my own place sorted. Phew.

• Advertisement

Slideways wrote: »
    If a certain someone gets me a ticket I shall travel home from Aus for the race.

Fingers crossed!!

You're in Slidey :D

Phew! Now the training....is it flat or hilly?

Phew! Now the training....is it flat or hilly?

Mostly downhill.

Be grand.

Mostly downhill.

Be grand.

Apart from the up hill.

Be grand also.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

How long does registration run for? May give it a go since it's only 15k.

• Advertisement

Itzy wrote: »
    How long does registration run for? May give it a go since it's only 15k.

It's closed. Full race within a very short time

800 places gone in <30 minutes.

There are always transfers though :)

Anyone going for the Mountain Loop 8 mile which is on most of the same road route?

It's on Sunday August 9th just under 2 weeks before. Should fit nicely. Going to give it a go!

EDIT: Route HERE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭libelula

Haven't done this before but might give it a lash this year, seems like a good testing race :)

Up there today for second time this year. Some to be alot of erosion on some of the decents, I assume from the heavy rain earlier this year, and ground is alot looser than usual. Could be fun come race day.

Up there today for second time this year. Some to be alot of erosion on some of the decents, I assume from the heavy rain earlier this year, and ground is alot looser than usual. Could be fun come race day.

I'm assuming you mean the steep part higher up between the initial paths of the cairn and the boardwalk? The boardwalk covers the lower part of the grass descent and the rock/stoney lower section is bad anyway.

Choice of runners is interesting. Racing shoes are nice and light. But the stoney section can hurt the soles of the feet if there is no cusioning. A wee bit of grip is nice too. So cushioned enough to run over the stones, with a bit of grip, and as light as possible after that if you want to wear light shoes. That narrows the options.

I'm assuming you mean the steep part higher up between the initial paths of the cairn and the boardwalk? The boardwalk covers the lower part of the grass descent and the rock/stoney lower section is bad anyway.

Choice of runners is interesting. Racing shoes are nice and light. But the stoney section can hurt the soles of the feet if there is no cusioning. A wee bit of grip is nice too. So cushioned enough to run over the stones, with a bit of grip, and as light as possible after that if you want to wear light shoes. That narrows the options.

I mean above the newly installed steps. I go for trail shoes, specifically Addidas Kanadia. Currently using Tr6 edition, bomb proof. Used them last year and for the Gaelforce. Allot stiffer than my road runners, good grip and comfort over mud and loose stone. Down side, not so over wet smooth rock, so can be a couple of slippy spots on the bottom part of the decent in them. The decent is all about quick light feet though, having an idea prior to race day about your route down, and planning a few steps ahead.

I mean above the newly installed steps. I go for trail shoes, specifically Addidas Kanadia. Currently using Tr6 edition, bomb proof. Used them last year and for the Gaelforce. Allot stiffer than my road runners, good grip and comfort over mud and loose stone. Down side, not so over wet smooth rock, so can be a couple of slippy spots on the bottom part of the decent in them. The decent is all about quick light feet though, having an idea prior to race day about your route down, and planning a few steps ahead.

That's where I thought. (Meant to say sleepers rather than boardwalk).
    I actually ran my fastest time wearing trail shoes in 2009, but I found the cushioning inadequate for that particular pair on the road back, when the legs were hitting the ground a bit harder.

I wore racing shoes with a bit of grip last year but the cushioning wasn't up to the stoney lower descent (sore on soles).

Small fast steps is the right technique but its difficult when the legs are very fatigued. I guess initially practice technique, then practice technique when very tired. I'd recommend cycling as cross training for leg strenght, which helps with the climb, descent and the road back.

That's where I thought. (Meant to say sleepers rather than boardwalk).
    I actually ran my fastest time wearing trail shoes in 2009, but I found the cushioning inadequate for that particular pair on the road back, when the legs were hitting the ground a bit harder.

I wore racing shoes with a bit of grip last year but the cushioning wasn't up to the stoney lower descent (sore on soles).

Small fast steps is the right technique but its difficult when the legs are very fatigued. I guess initially practice technique, then practice technique when very tired. I'd recommend cycling as cross training for leg strenght, which helps with the climb, descent and the road back.

I've actually been mixxing cycling with my recent training, finding it pretty good.

I've recently bought a pair of Hoka One One trail style shoes for this event. Have done some short runs with them so far.

Plan on taking them to the trails this week as I'm not working.

I also booked my flights back to Ireland this week so I'll be in the country to do this :D

• Advertisement

I've recently bought a pair of Hoka One One trail style shoes for this event. Have done some short runs with them so far.

Plan on taking them to the trails this week as I'm not working.

I also booked my flights back to Ireland this week so I'll be in the country to do this :D

You wont feel any stones in those. How are you finding them.

I think an aspect a lot of people ignore in training is hill-walking.

Only 4-5 people run the entire way so almost everyone will have to hill walk.

Practicing this can be a great way to make easy minutes in the race. Also you can catch up on some places you may never have been before.
    This training would be a hard weekly uphill walk (as hard as can be done while sustaining pace). Jog down and repeat if the hill is short. Add a bit of jogging before and (most important after). Then a few weeks out do 1 or two warriors prep runs on the course itself or something similar.

Most of us will be walking for 1/4 or more of race time. It will help a lot to practice this before the day.

Some walks HERE

Finding them different tbh.

I ended up doing a few runs preparing for this at the weekend. Did some trail running in pretty hostile terrain. This meant I ended up having to walk various sections because I just wasn't able to run them!

One concern I do have is going over on my ankle on the way down. I think this concern will cost me quite some time on the day so I don't end up crossing the line on a stretcher :-/

Finding them different tbh.

I ended up doing a few runs preparing for this at the weekend. Did some trail running in pretty hostile terrain. This meant I ended up having to walk various sections because I just wasn't able to run them!

One concern I do have is going over on my ankle on the way down. I think this concern will cost me quite some time on the day so I don't end up crossing the line on a stretcher :-/

Its not so bad....i do a fair bit of hill running and Knocknarea is Ok re. ankle twists.

If you can. Practice running at road race pace after the hill work. Making that adaption before the day will help too.

Ran/walked the whole course the other day.

Done the decent at about 3/4 speed, picking out a prefered route for the way down, getting funny looks from the tourists in my race kit.

Ran/walked the whole course the other day.

Done the decent at about 3/4 speed, picking out a prefered route for the way down, getting funny looks from the tourists in my race kit.

Why what does your race kit consist of?!!!

Why what does your race kit consist of?!!!

Trail Runners, Shorts, and Tee Shirt.

:D

Ran the route on Friday without the mountain (no funny looks because I was in shorts :P) and what I remember last year was being fine on the run before the mountain, but on the rolling roads back out to strandhill road, they went on forever and ever and ever. Doing it Friday, I was wrecked going up the Glen Road, but the road which I feared the most was absolutely fine. I know this does have to do with the fact I hadn't just climbed the mountain before, but psychologically now I'm a bit all over the place!

My hip went on the glen road, the rest of the run was done in a fair amount of pain, but sure I had to get back to the car anyway so no point in walking it!

Just a tip now. As the race is a month away, best sessions are those around race intensity, or just faster (5k-10k race pace) or just slower (half marathon-marathon intensity). Easy running or cycling in between. A session involving a (hard walk up Knocknarea followed by a descent) times * 2 and then follwed by some road running is quite a useful session to get in once. Youll be walking up that mountain. You need to practice that before race day.

All the best with the training. The fear is rising.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Looks like I am out due to injury. If any boardsie is looking for a transfer pm me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Terry049

Has anybody got a garmin activity for the course? any idea off added time it takes due to mountain as apposed to it all being on road? is it relatively easy to follow the fastest line up and down of would runner vary their route to to better knowledge of route?
    Thanks for any any info.

Advertisement