Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fleadh 2015

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

Most of the hot food was just frozen economy stuff. I never saw any food of real quality despite the awesome equipment used to cook on.

I noticed, and 6 quid for a hot dog and roll... needless to say I didn't wait the 10 minutes for it to defrost and cook.

I seen on facebook he was at it, I was actually sadened that he wasn't going to be here this year! When I was talking to him last year he said he made a loss because the cost of setting up a stall. Also the fact he was out on JFK probably didnt help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Gave my money to the Burger Shack in O Connell Street. €5 for a fab and delish burger (didn't like the Charcoal Grill ones at €6). Thankfully there was no plastic yappy dog stalls (actually I did see one over the weekend ).

What'll we do next year now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Did anybody else notice the massively reduced amount of stalls around the town this year? I was talking to a few of the people running them last year and heard they were fleeced, something along the lines of €1k/day at the weekend. From what I recall it was the same crowd that organises the ploughing championship. My favourite one from last year didn't even come this year- selling corndogs :(

Not a bad thing tbh, most of the ones I seen last year were selling cheap tack on every available space and empty shop doorways. Whilst it was good to see food stalls this year, it would have had to be a damn good burger/kebab for €7 or €8.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,372 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I made it for Sunday evening, was wandering about looking for a potential session, the pubs in the immediate town centre were packed to the brim so I took a walk further past Wine St and up by the Bus Stop shop and on to a pub called Donaghys' which I think had an amazing session, three flutes, three fiddles, myself and another guy on the bodhrans, two banjos and a nice bouzouki player, a tight accordionist joined the sesh in which I stayed for nearly three hours, half the folk being from Glasgow. The only thing I didn't like was Donaghys' stinginess with a round of free drinks. Now I'm not one to moan about not getting free booze but that session looked like it had been going on all afternoon and when I got talking to the Scottish banjo player they didn't at all get one free drink from the bar even though the pub was fairly packed with listeners. Is it not my understanding that Guinness donate a free barrell to each bar participating in the Fleadh Cheoill session trail to give visiting musicians a free drink on the house for the craic. I didn't mind really as I enjoyed the music anyway and paid for three pints and then went on my way, but I did have a word with some of the bar staff about this Guinness deal.

I squeezed into Shoots for a brief set or three in the company of Seamus Tansey and a bunch of others but had to escape as I was in danger of vapourising from the heat in there. Tansey asked me exasperated, where are you going, you've just arrived, but the seat I was sitting in was on temporary loan and I said to him I had to cool off. When Shoot the Crows gets so packed it just too bloody warm in there. Watched some amazing kids and youth groups in the streets, solo pipers and combos playing wonderful music, even if there was a top heavy bodhran in the background.

Heard some fellah play the Cottage Groves, one of my favourite reels on the box at the corner going up from Wine St to the taxi ranks, I whipped out my wee tambourine goatskin bodhran and shocked the life out of him when I came pounding along, a nice moment.

Met some folk from Dundalk, trad heads but also Electric Picnic heads, so we had a blether, I sang a song and then we agreed to meet up at the Picnic in two weeks time.

And my good friend Denis who looked after me while we listened to some of the session craic from RnaG, ate some lovely food and I drank some cans of stout.

On my way back to Galway today I got a lift from one of my heroes of the bodhran, Tommy Hayes and was delighted when he told me that he is playing a gig with a few others in the Body & Soul part of Electric Picnic festival. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

@Bodhrandude. An interesting account of a day at the Fleadh. There's been a weekly Sunday evening trad session in Donaghys' for years. (Well there always used to be in my pub days).

I'd guess that Donaghys' had already paid the musicians for running the session during the day. Still I hear what you're saying, you'd think visiting musicians who contribute well would have been thrown a pint or two. Cead Mile Failte and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Donaghys regular Sunday session.

https://youtu.be/AP17ehv2pjs

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

Will we ever see the crowds that was in the town Saturday night ever again the buzz was great,to every one involved take a bow,to me there is no negatives only pluses.sligo you can hold your head high be proud.

As for the food I made it my point to support locals on that front and they had the best food too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Great weekend , out Thurs Sat and Sun, Sat was amazing as far as the atmosphere and crowds, was in McGarrigles , Shoots, Swagman, Connollys, Source at one point, one of the best nights ever in Sligo,
    Highlights were the Quakers in 5th on Thurs who were good crack and I caught Rackhouse on Sunday also. There was an excellent session on in Connollys Sat night with Brian McDonagh Jarleth McTiernan amongst the crowd.

Only downside was the rain on Sun eve when Seamie ODowd was playing on the GIG Rig took a bit of a soaking but didn't dampen the spirits.
    Food wise burgers from The Food Experience and an amazing Burrito from Street Cart which will be hit again.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

This article seems to specifically mention taxi fares (I was charged the same as always), I did notice that the price of drink went up. Someone I know who bought a pint of Guinness in Kennedys was charged 4.50. It was 4.10 before the Fleadh. I was told the same carry on was happening in other bars across town.

I think the comment he makes about passengers needing a receipt seems a bit sly as I have never been given one, you have to explicitly ask for one.

http://oceanfm.ie/taxi-fare-complaints-contact-the-nta-and-have-your-receipt/

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Taxi fares definitely seemed a little inconsistent..

i.e

- Taxi from Caltragh to Church Street / Market Yard was €8.50 last Monday night at 8PM.
    - Taxi from Caltragh to Holborn Street was €7.00 last Saturday night at 9.30PM.

And have the Hailo receipts to prove it.. nothing worth complaining about personally, but that's a relatively short journey compared to what some would have been charged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Allot of taxi drivers from out of town in during the Fleadh, I'd imagine some were adding on all the extras, call out, extra passengers etc, where as local drivers would be kinder to their regulars.

I got several taxis to Ballymote, it can be hit and miss at the best of times,
    Our regular Hackney who had a load dropped us for 15 euro one night , a mate living about 2 miles closer to sligo was 30euro another night, I had a mate staying in mine who landed out in the very Am for 40euro.
    To be honest I have paid all the prices above at time's over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

I'll get Martin Bricks.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

bennyc wrote: »
    I got several taxis to Ballymote, it can be hit and miss at the best of times,
    Our regular Hackney who had a load dropped us for 15 euro one night , a mate living about 2 miles closer to sligo was 30euro another night, I had a mate staying in mine who landed out in the very Am for 40euro.
    To be honest I have paid all the prices above at time's over the years.

You did well. A taxi to grange cost me 30e one night. I'd been using Furey's busses all the time for a fiver a pop but one night I had to get home fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

sligojoek wrote: »
    You did well. A taxi to grange cost me 30e one night. I'd been using Furey's busses all the time for a fiver a pop but one night I had to get home fast.

€30 for a taxi to Grange seems about right. What's the problem?

Henlars67 wrote: »
    €30 for a taxi to Grange seems about right. What's the problem?
    I was comparing it to 15e to Ballymote.

I was comparing it to 15e to Ballymote.

15 was a hackney price, 9 seater and 2 of us so just charged for a drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

I had to get home fast.

Was herself in heat?

bennyc wrote: »
    15 was a hackney price, 9 seater and 2 of us so just charged for a drop.
    I see that now. I thought you just struck it lucky. It's always 28 - 30 to Grange. Furey;s bus was a gift 5e each way. 8e aftel 11pm. I'd rather drink it than give it to a taxi.

Was herself in heat?
    That would be worth 30e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

Anyway, getting back to the actual fleadh.

Not a fan of trad but nevertheless booked holidays from work for it. Been on a few foreign holidays, but never had anything close to as much craic as I did at home during the fleadh.

The buzz around town was something else. I think what really made it for me was seeing tens of thousands of people laughing, smiling and really enjoying themselves in the streets that I walk down every day.

The volunteers who worked flat out during it deserve real credit. It couldn't have been done without them.

There's no way Ennis will be able to match it, not a hope.

Advertisement