Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On Mastery & Majesty

Options
  • 21-03-2005 2:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭

This is basically a "Who's Who" thread but with an extra element.

Say what your name is, if you want, but mainly tell us all your level of juggling skill. Whether you're a pre-beginner or a pro. we'd like to know and all are of course welcome. Perhaps even attach a picture of yourself. Any basic and quick questions you have you can include in your post but I don't want this thread to become too big a discussion but some discussion is fine with me.

I hope this thread will get people posting here, even if it is just to say hi.
    I've e-mailed what I believe to be Dublin's main juggling societies so we might have an influx of jugglers over the next week or so.

I'll start....

Name: Kevin
    D.O.B.: 10/10/'89

Ability: I can juggling quite well with 2 and 3 balls. I can do basic stuff with 4 balls. I can juggle 3 clubs and 3 rings at a beginner level. I contact juggle at an intermediate level. I hope to start out on fire poi soon. :p

How it all stared: It was last December 30th and I was staying at a friend's house. I got a bit bored. I saw that his brother had a "Quick Guide To Juggling" type handbook with 3 free balls. I knew/know a good few jugglers so I thought I'd try them out. It's now 7:00pm. 6 hours later I could juggle 3 balls with a few tricks. From then on I was addicted.

Latest Achievement: Just about 30 mins. ago I learned the 3 ball Mill's Mess in about 5 mins. of practice. I'm quite proud now. :cool:

That's all now. Don't feel your post has to be as long as this. Even general and basic info. is enough.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Name...Aoibheann Brady!
    DOB..01/01/89
    Location...Cavan

Ability..pre-beginner...have decided to start juggling, my friends can juggle, and it looks like a lot of fun, I'd love to be able to do some of the tricks they can!

How it all started...watching friends juggle!

I'm hoping this board will give me some insight into what I can achieve once I start this, it all looks great! any tips will be very much welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

Hi, i'm david, i've been juggling on and off for about a year now, i can juggle three balls without any fear of drops, i can add in one under the knee or behind the back and i can juggle continuosly "over the pattern" with my right hand and i can also juggle continuosly under my left arm with my right hand (sort of hard to explain). Ican do three clubs well enough but i still can't quite manage to do two in one hand (a necesity if you want to do a flourish). I can do four for a very small amount of time(30 catches max) but i think i might be getting the hang of five:D. I looked at an explanation of mills mess a while ago but i really couldn't manage, maybe i'll try again, oh and can anyone here do chops?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Yeah I can do chops. Not with clubs but with balls. It's surprisingly easy once you sort it out but it's quite hard to learn in the first place. The hardest thing is getting the feel for throwing a ball straight up after your hand was making a sharp down motion. It's just kinda hard for the brain to sort out at first but once you can do it for 5 catches you can do it for 100 catches.

Again I suggest wildcat's chops. Also, try learning the movement of one hand first, then learn the movement of the other hand and then put them together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭gigglingrat

My name's Hugo, I'm forty seven, and have juggled professionally for all my adult life.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭yaledo

I've been juggling a lot for the last 2 years (and a little for the last 10 years). I spend most of my time trying to juggle more and more balls, but as that gets more and more frustrating, I'm enjoying club-passing more and more.
    I live in Limerick, and I go to conventions whenever I get the chance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Hi, I'm Jimmy, I live down the road from David(cocoa) and he's pretty much got me into juggling. I'm only a beginner and the best I've done is kept three balls going for about a minute :P .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

I'm Peter. I taught myself to juggle when I was 14. I taught kids to juggle for two summers after that.
    Not aware of any 3 ball tricks I can't do and made up a few of my own. Can do them fast and run them into ecach other which makes them look better. Video clips of me in my sig.

two balls split form behind back to start
    mills mess
    reverse cascade
    shower
    juggling looking up with hands above head
    underleg (continual)
    behind back/over shoulder (continual)
    juggling with arms spread wide in a very low pattern
    clawing
    catch ball on back of neck
    bounce off knee
    and probably a few more I've forgotten.

most recently started to learn to juggle three in one hand. Would rather learn juggle five but previous housemate lost one of my nice new balls (new then anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

My name is Stephen. I have aboslutely no hand-eye co-ordination, and am thus unable to play with balls (must resist innuendo). I get on with Hugh Hefner, so I'm supporting his forum with random crap that he can Hosted Mod all over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Zukustious

My name's Richard, or Dick if you prefer.

I can juggle 4 balls, 3 torches. Can do the odd trick with three balls and a couple with torches. I have clubs too but they're not nearly as dramatic as the torches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Call_Me,Stan

Name: Stephen (Stan is my alias)

D.O.B.: 22/01/1986
    Location: a radio station near Blackrock, but I live in Artane, North Dublin

Ability: I can kinda do a cascade for about two throws but I've got a bad foundation. I've been learning on and off for bout a year and still not that good. Still trying to get the tick-tock with my flower tick. Can do a few simple tricks with my scarves. Okay at a spinning plate. Okay with diabolo. Quite a pro with ballon modelling. Okay with balancing. Had a quick try on my friend's Rolo Bolo and I think i have potential there. Tried using a poi and found out that I tend to accidentally hit myself in the balls and that scares me away.

How it all stared: Couple of summers ago, I found a balloon modelling book and gave that try. Then my friend, George, kinda introduced to the act of Juggling. I found Dave Finnegan's book "The Complete Juggler" in the libary and tried to learn a bit from that and discovered that juggling shouldn't really be learnt from a book unlike balloon modelling. Over a year, I collected loads of equipment, but lately I haven't practiced that much.

Latest Achievement: Picked up my spinning plate and realised that I could still use it pretty well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

I'm Larry
    I'm 22

I taught myself some 3 ball stuff and some club stuff when I was a kid, But the internet didnt exist in Ireland yet, and I lived in the middle of the wicklow mountains, so I was unable to learn new tricks. My ability stagnated and went away.

In 2001 a few friends of mine set up the UCD Juggling Socieety, of which I am still an active member.

I picked up and fell in love with the diablo, and have been developing skills in it since.

I made some fire poi, and can do a few nice tricks, half weave, full weave, corkscrew, windmill, butterfly, reverse butterfly, etc... =0)

I do the odd bit of devil sticks, the odd bit of fire breathing, and have done a little fire staff.

My 3 ball and club skills have been improving very slowly with the small ammount of practice I've ben doing.

Latest Achivement: some tricks involving catching a diablo in a juggling hoop.

Currently: Learning some tricks with 2 or more diablo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 NiallKelly

I'm Niall, 23 from Naas. Been juggling a good bit over the past 3 years. Mainly into balls and clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

My name's Hugo, I'm forty seven, and have juggled professionally for all my adult life.

then why are you at CTYI??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 dap

Hi I am Dap
    3,4,5 ,6,7 balls :cool: 7 Balls on a salt lake at 4000 meters
    1 Diabolo (Main Speciality!),2 diabolos
    3,4 Clubs
    6,7,8 Clubs passing
    And any Silly tricks involving balancing, throwing stuff with a silly catch ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 richard_b

my name is richard and i'm 21
    i have being juggling for nearly a year and a half now.
    at the moment i am working on getting my five ball cascade solid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 fleiscin

I'm John, i'm 17 and i'm from Naas, Co. Kildare

began juggling mid july of last year, mostly stick to 3 balls but i'm ok with the club cascade and a few 4 ball tricks...

ROCK ON TEACHER DAVE!!! AND JESSE!!! AND MIKE AND MANY OTHERS!!!

Welcome John. You finally made a name up and got on here. Bout time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭modular

I'm David/Dave, 15 in 2 days.

I'm quite competent with one diabolo, and have been juggling for a week. I'm quite sure I'm addicted at this stage.

Right on!

Wow. Those pics. are swweeeeeeeeeeetttt!

Welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Fungtank

Names Andrew. I'm 20. I've been juggling for around about a year. A few of my friends were into it and i had an afternoon free. Once i started i was hooked. Its soooo much fun. Great way to relax or to challenge yourself if your bored.
    Anyway by now i'm juggling 3 clubs, 3 rings, and i can sometimes keep 4 balls going for around a minute. I'm pretty comfortable with 3 balls, tricks wise i'm just about getting the hang of mills mess( just about meaning i got it for the first time yesterday). I can throw over my back, 3 in succession then it gets messy, i can catch it behind my head then down my back into my waiting hand, snatches max is 65 in a row, on the back of my hand, cross handed, flashes, shower, reverse cascade, just getting the hang of zip's. I think there are a few tricks that i don't know even what i'm doing.

At the moment clubs are probably my favourite, just because they were that much harder to get comfortable at.

I think the best part of juggling is teaching other people to juggle. I think i thought around 4 more people, its like a chain letter effect.

If anyone has any tips on mills mess or 5 ball juggling please share.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Stephenm

Hi Andrew.
    It seems you are from Galway. There’s lots of jugglers in Galway – Check out “Circudelic” one of Galway’s juggling clubs (if you haven’t already)

http://get.to/circudelic
    They meet in the Columban Hall on Sea Road, 4-6 on Thursdays and Fridays. (I'm not sure but this may be finishing soon)

I think they might be starting something on Monday evenings in the Galway Rowing Club in Woodquay.

Don’t forget the Galway Juggling Convention June 10/11/12
    Info at:
    http://get.to/circudelic

Help with 5 balls
    – Learn 3 ball shower both sides (left and right handed), 4 ball half shower both sides, and practice “flashing” 3 balls high clapping your hands underneath. These are all very helpful tricks for learning 5 and will probably be less frustrating to work at than moving straight to 5. It may take 6 months or a year before 5 starts coming together for you so don’t worry about it too much….

Good luck,

Stephen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

greetings all just thought id introduce myself im emmet been juggling about 3 yearsish at the mo im working on six clubs, three diabolos and nine balls. just been in circus school for the last year and am now back in the country for a bit
    im also interseted in sports acro and aerial (trapeze, swinging trapeze and sliks)
    Emmet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 homeslice

i'm brigid, live in the sticks (or west cork, for the uninitiated)... Am nearly 17, can do some 3-ball stuff and a club cascade, also i devilstick, since 3 weeks ago. Have been, ahem, 'juggling' since ctyi in july last year, but only really since about november. Started because of jesse, kept going because of john.. Daz it.

Eh, Bridgid, I don't think anyone here knows of those guys. Anyway, nice havin' ya. John's been complaining that you never let him see your skillz. Wha's'up wit dat?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

been going to the trinity tuesday juggling and now the sundays in stephen's green. my sister kicks ass way more than i do (jess) but i'm getting there!

i can do 3 balls, working on 4 at the moment
    3 rings
    very basic catch and throw little diablo
    and now, finally 3 clubs :)

juggling rocks!

oh yeah - ucd jugglin club - are you a fun bunch? i should really come along this year... am in 2nd science in ucd now...

saz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Jammy

I started juggling uears ago when I was about ten. Did it for about a year and then just forgot about it.

I started back this year and can do;

3 ball tricks
    4 balls... just about
    3 ball passing
    and have just learnt how to do clubs :D

I go on a Sunday now in Stephens Green. haven't been to trinity though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Spodo Komodo

Yo im steve. Head in to trinity club now and again. Mainly work on 5,6,7 balls and 4 clubs and v.little with rings cause they are a right pain in the arse. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Rings shouldn't hurt if your doing them right i'll give you a crash course next tuesday if you want?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Jammy

I've never tried rings before, what are they like?

Advertisement