Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuath Housing

Options
  • 06-04-2020 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hello everyone, I hope that you are all safe during this world crisis.

I was called by the County Council about a week ago and they said that an accommodation is available, however, I won't ever be able to buy the property like as it is being offered to me by Tuath Housing.

Anyways, I went onto Tuath's website and read the tenant's handbook. It says that there is a 6 month probationary period where Tuath, as the landlord, can issue a notice of termination without any given reason and that after the 6 months I can still be issued a notice of termination if Tuath plans to sell the house, renovate it, I don't pay the rent or have any anti social behavior.

Now, the last two points (not paying rent and anti social behavior), I totally understand, but how about them issuing me a notice of termination if they wish to sell the house?

Is there a difference between me getting a house from the County Council directly and getting one from Tuath or will I be living in the house provided to me by Tuath exactly the same way as a council house, is it permanent?

Also, with the council house, is there a 6 month probationary period too?

Thank you all and stay safe.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭NinjaRambo

NinjaRambo wrote: »
    Hello everyone, I hope that you are all safe during this world crisis.

I was called by the County Council about a week ago and they said that an accommodation is available, however, I won't ever be able to buy the property like as it is being offered to me by Tuath Housing.

Anyways, I went onto Tuath's website and read the tenant's handbook. It says that there is a 6 month probationary period where Tuath, as the landlord, can issue a notice of termination without any given reason and that after the 6 months I can still be issued a notice of termination if Tuath plans to sell the house, renovate it, I don't pay the rent or have any anti social behavior.

Now, the last two points (not paying rent and anti social behavior), I totally understand, but how about them issuing me a notice of termination if they wish to sell the house?

Is there a difference between me getting a house from the County Council directly and getting one from Tuath or will I be living in the house provided to me by Tuath exactly the same way as a council house, is it permanent?

Also, with the council house, is there a 6 month probationary period too?

Thank you all and stay safe.

Anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Different Council's have their own tenant agreements. You can usually download some document summarising it from their website. eg here's the DCC tenant handbook: http://www.dublincity.ie/sites/default/files/content/HousingAndCommunity/LookingForAHome/Tenant_Booklet.pdf

Download the one for the Council you're dealing with and compare with the Tuath one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 sharxoxo

Tuath have been in touch with me about a house I was wondering did you get any updates on your queries?

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭TooObvious

That provision to sell exists in the off chance that legislation is created which allows Tuath to sell the property. This is currently not the case.

sharxoxo wrote: »
    Tuath have been in touch with me about a house I was wondering did you get any updates on your queries?

Hi. Apology for the delay in responding. I decided not to get the house from them. There were a lot of things that differed from a house that you'd get directly from the Council. The biggest one is the fact that they register you with the RTB and can ask you to vacate without any reason in the first 6 months I believe it is. And also that they can sell the house in the future and they'll have to relocate you to a different accommodation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Hi. Apology for the delay in responding. I decided not to get the house from them. There were a lot of things that differed from a house that you'd get directly from the Council. The biggest one is the fact that they register you with the RTB and can ask you to vacate without any reason in the first 6 months I believe it is. And also that they can sell the house in the future and they'll have to relocate you to a different accommodation.

Some councils and other providers put you on 12 months probation where your tenancy agreement can be terminated for breaches ,
    Registering with the RTB actually is a good thing and secures your rights ,
    They don't sell their properties

• Registered Users Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭Tork

Yet you started another thread where you asked could you buy a house while on disability benefit :confused:

Tork wrote: »
    Yet you started another thread where you asked could you buy a house while on disability benefit :confused:

And your point about that is?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

And your point about that is?

The point is you can't have your bread buttered on both sides.

myshirt wrote: »
    The point is you can't have your bread buttered on both sides.

Obviously if I were to buy a house with or without a mortgage, I wouldn't keep myself on the Council list.

There are many people with housing needs, so if I were to ever buy a house I will be asking the council to remove me off of the list, I'm not selfish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Obviously if I were to buy a house with or without a mortgage, I wouldn't keep myself on the Council list.

There are many people with housing needs, so if I were to ever buy a house I will be asking the council to remove me off of the list, I'm not selfish.

No one said you are selfish, and no one here begrudges you a place to live. Absolutely not. You're very welcome here.

The posters point was it appears you are trying to shape and mould your situation to get the maximum benefit for the littlest effort. It's disingenuous and what we call in Ireland tantamount to "pulling a fast one".

You should have accepted this Tuath offer more than likely. Your reasoning for rejection is quite poor. Cease immediately from trying to plan your way to buying a house using state funds that are intended to help you in other ways. And accept housing offers where they are good ones. People want to help you clearly. Let them. And don't take advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

myshirt wrote: »
    No one said you are selfish, and no one here begrudges you a place to live. Absolutely not. You're very welcome here.

The posters point was it appears you are trying to shape and mould your situation to get the maximum benefit for the littlest effort. It's disingenuous and what we call in Ireland tantamount to "pulling a fast one".

You should have accepted this Tuath offer more than likely. Your reasoning for rejection is quite poor. Cease immediately from trying to plan your way to buying a house using state funds that are intended to help you in other ways. And accept housing offers where they are good ones. People want to help you clearly. Let them. And don't take advantage.

My lasting impression is that the OP is simply exploring all possibilities in detail. Which is wise and right. Not to be condemned .

• Registered Users Posts: 8 sharxoxo

Thank you for your reply. I actually decided to go with tuath after reading a few council handbooks and it seems some council rules are similar bar the RTB and possibility of buying hopefully that is adjusted like the UK HOA properties in years to come. It would be great but I wont hold my breath hope you find a forever home. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 sanddi

Hi just a quick question dcc rang me to say I was put forward for an apartment with tuath and that there waiting on my garda vetting , just curious do they offer many people the same place and pick randomly ?

Advertisement