Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Forum Closed  

02-05-2013, 23:27   #31
TestTransmission

How about a treasure hunt of sort?Where you gather clues,take required photos of locations or doing something silly (not on the road obviously) Make it more fun and not where speed/racing is in anyway required
Advertisement
16-05-2013, 09:02   #32
403 Forbidden

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljono View Post
What about if ye did a sponsored event like driving around Mondello for 24hours in relay format? Different drivers take part for different stints, like 30 minutes each?

And to make it so that it's not a race or dangerous, set a mediocre lap time, that people need to stay within 20 secs of on each lap, otherwise they get dunked or something when they step out of the car.

That way you can have lots of people take part, not worry about insurance or paying for fuel for multiple cars and you could get good visibility as it would be a pretty unique event. Would also be good craic I'd imagine.
Mondello can only run events from 8am to 6pm. Nothing can run after 6pm unfortunately.
16-05-2013, 09:02   #33
Jemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quazzie View Post
My suggestion for what its worth would be to make up a list of the best driving roads in Ireland, and see how many you can cram into 1/2 days. Something like Healy's pass, Torr Road, some of the roads out west are also lovely to drive. Making it an event to remember for the drivers would be more beneficial in terms of getting people signed up than making it an endurance event.

\my 2c
Right so trying to work with this idea at the moment, best driving roads in Ireland. Has anyone any suggestions? We've done Torr Road every year so it may be one we miss in favour of another in the same area if one comes up, Healys Pass is another one. I've driven loads of awesome roads in all corners of the country but never taken note of the areas!

If we go with this idea it is focusing more on the driver enjoyment so we will need a few hours from participants one evening before to do some sort of group fundraiser, whether it's bucket collections in your local towns, a race night etc, as it will be harder looking for individual sponsorship without the usual challenge of all the way round and at the end of the day we are doing this for charity!!

Last edited by Jemmy; 16-05-2013 at 09:13.
16-05-2013, 17:29   #34

Tell me what area your thinking on replacing the Torr road with and I'll have something for ye, this neck of the woods is full of stunning / fun roads to drive. It'll be hard to match Torr though, I guess thats why I suggested it in the first place

One road that does make you "draw breath" although might not be just as fun to drive as Torr is the road from Portsalon - Rathmullan in Donegal, only thing is that it is a small bit out of the way. These video's should give you an idea.

Last edited by homer simpson; 16-05-2013 at 17:32.
17-05-2013, 13:11   #35
Jemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer simpson View Post
Tell me what area your thinking on replacing the Torr road with and I'll have something for ye, this neck of the woods is full of stunning / fun roads to drive. It'll be hard to match Torr though, I guess thats why I suggested it in the first place

One road that does make you "draw breath" although might not be just as fun to drive as Torr is the road from Portsalon - Rathmullan in Donegal, only thing is that it is a small bit out of the way. These video's should give you an idea.
I'll check out the vids later on, can't get them here at the mo. Ah I'm not saying get rid of Torr Rd it's great but I just meant we are open to consider alternatives if they come up for that neck of the woods! I've done that Portsalon - Rathmullan stretch myself, great road, some awesome roads up that way but as you said it's a bit out of the way.

We want to make this about driver enjoyment this yr if possible then make the charity side easier by working in smaller groups maybe one or two evenings, but maybe still get around a few places, tipping on & off motorways maybe. Again just trying tog et feedback from all of ye who will be taking part before we finalise the route then we can work out a suitable hotel etc for the overnight.

Last edited by Jemmy; 17-05-2013 at 13:15.
Advertisement
21-05-2013, 12:49   #36
Jemmy

No more road suggestions then for the route?!
21-05-2013, 20:30   #37
Quazzie
Hosted Moderator

Some good suggestions here
Forum Closed