Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scammed online,what are the options

Options
  • 29-11-2020 12:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the place to post but here goes
    We have had a number of large scam purchases go through thanks to an inexperienced or inept employee not doing some important checks
    A number of credit card charge backs have come through and the goods in question have come up for sale on ebay from someone in London
    Its not going to put us out of business but its a sore hit
    Now question is how can we get the stuff back
    Its been reported to Gardaí who have suggested in practice insurance
    What part of a commercial insurance policy covers this
    Gardaí have been in contact with London police who are investigating but drawing blanks it seems
    If there is a better forum to look for advice, mods please move this but anyone reading please post
    The employee has been disciplined but not sacked on my say so
    You have to learn
    Anger is no solution
    Thank you for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Have you not implemented the extra security measures for credit card payments.

On top of that you need someone to approve all orders over a set amount.

But feck all you can do. Gardai in reality will do nothing about it.

I agree not to sack the employee. - were they given any training on fraud and what to watch for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

They were offline sales over the phone so not subject to retention of title rules
    A word of warning for everyone on that score
    We have set up 3d secure with stripe for all sales now which guarantees no charge backs
    The employee was spoofed,it won't be happening again,the idea to have transactions batched and cleared with someone above them is a good one and what we've implemented
    Thats partly why we've not gone hard on the employee
    Once bitten etc
    Be careful folks its a hazardous world, remote selling

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

My bank warns me that everyone selling anything over the phone is a scammer and to make sure to cancel your card if you give the number over the phone.

You could try to direct future customers to your website for the details to be processed there at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭G-Man

Hi , a family member is just starting to tread in online selling for a few specific motoring accessories with a retail of about 50-100 quid. I would be worried about such a thing. Is there any credit risk analysis software that can be used to verify customer / card / location value etc as being potential for fraud. What better knowledge would the more experienced senior member have , is it a smell test, or are their checks they would do considering the value... ie. phone up the customer etc.

In our case, I think I would suspect something if someone ordered 10 x one of my item, well that can only be another retailer, so it should be easy enough to validate the business address and location..... Or am i wrong... advice appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

G-Man wrote: »
    Hi , a family member is just starting to tread in online selling for a few specific motoring accessories with a retail of about 50-100 quid. I would be worried about such a thing. Is there any credit risk analysis software that can be used to verify customer / card / location value etc as being potential for fraud. What better knowledge would the more experienced senior member have , is it a smell test, or are their checks they would do considering the value... ie. phone up the customer etc.

In our case, I think I would suspect something if someone ordered 10 x one of my item, well that can only be another retailer, so it should be easy enough to validate the business address and location..... Or am i wrong... advice appreciated.

PayPal or the new 3d secure which has to be implemented by end of this month anyway.

Just don't take orders by phone unless you know the person

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭G-Man

Darc19 wrote: »
    PayPal or the new 3d secure which has to be implemented by end of this month anyway.

Just don't take orders by phone unless you know the person

OK simple enough - thanks I must read up on these items.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 gledge

I work in insurance and this isn't covered under any policy I know unfortunately....very sorry to hear

Best bet is to go to the bank

Advertisement