Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sending A3 Size parcels

Options
  • 03-11-2020 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just looking for a bit of advice. I am thinking of selling a few of my prints online. Have just being selling a few here and there locally, but looking to sell a few online now.

The only bit I am stuck on is the sending part. Does anyone on here send A3 Size frames/parcels and what service/courier do they use?

I was going to use An Post, but they seem be €13 a package.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭VG31

I don't send A3 frames but I sell things on eBay occasionally so I am familiar enough with couriers prices. An A3 sized frame would cost:

€7.87 - Nightline (drop-off), insurance included up to €50
    €8.47 - DPD via Parcel2Go (drop-off), insurance included up to €20
    €9.67 - UPS (collection/drop-off), insurance included up to €85
    €12.50 - GLS (drop-off), insurance included up to €350

I didn't include Fastway because they're Fastway and DHL as they're very expensive. Nightline are probably fine to go with if you live near a Nightline depot. I personally use UPS mostly as they don't charge extra for collection and its next day delivery even with UPS Standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭biffo2014

VG31 wrote: »
    I don't send A3 frames but I sell things on eBay occasionally so I am familiar enough with couriers prices. An A3 sized frame would cost:

€7.87 - Nightline (drop-off), insurance included up to €50
    €8.47 - DPD via Parcel2Go (drop-off), insurance included up to €20
    €9.67 - UPS (collection/drop-off), insurance included up to €85
    €12.50 - GLS (drop-off), insurance included up to €350

I didn't include Fastway because they're Fastway and DHL as they're very expensive. Nightline are probably fine to go with if you live near a Nightline depot. I personally use UPS mostly as they don't charge extra for collection and its next day delivery even with UPS Standard.

Thanks very much for the reply.

I see nightline have morphed into UPS now, but unfortunately I am no where near a drop off depot.

I think An Post will prob the best bet, even if it is slightly more expensive.

Fastway is near me but I have heard soo many horror stories, so will stay away from them.

Thanks very much for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Corvus Libros

If it's under 2kg, standard post is €9. Standard post by An Post is far more reliable than any tracked service by a courier company, in my experience. In 8 years of selling online, the only problems sending by An Post have been when the buyer gave the wrong address. In those cases, the package was always returned to me, so registered post wouldn't have added any benefit. It's also significantly quicker than courier companies, which means fewer emails from worried buyers.

It may be worth the extra €4 for your own peace of mind when you're starting, but in the long run you're better off saving the expense.

If it's under 2kg, standard post is €9. Standard post by An Post is far more reliable than any tracked service by a courier company, in my experience. In 8 years of selling online, the only problems sending by An Post have been when the buyer gave the wrong address. In those cases, the package was always returned to me, so registered post wouldn't have added any benefit. It's also significantly quicker than courier companies, which means fewer emails from worried buyers.

Normally I'd agree that An Post is reliable and fast for the most part, but I've heard a lot of cases of letters taking over a week to be delivered or express post items taking far longer than 1 working day recently so I'd bear this in mind.

I have been posting packets every day and it's not a lot that are delayed. It's the odd one that takes over a week, at worst maybe 1 in 50 during the first lockdown, but they are pretty much back to normal now.

Whereas around a week is normal service for the cheapest of the other options like Parcel Motel or DPD drop off.

• Advertisement

Whereas around a week is normal service for the cheapest of the other options like Parcel Motel or DPD drop off.

Parcel Motel can be fairly slow but I've had no issues with UPS delivering when they're supposed to (next day Ireland, two day UK).

VG31 wrote: »
    Parcel Motel can be fairly slow but I've had no issues with UPS delivering when they're supposed to (next day Ireland, two day UK).

What are their prices like?

What are their prices like?

€9.67 to Ireland and €12.09 to UK for small-medium size parcels. I find them the best value for sending anything larger than a 500g packet to the UK. An Post is usually better value within Ireland unless it's particularly big or heavy. They are far less restrictive in what you can send than An Post as well (they take items with lithium batteries for instance).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

biffo2014 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just looking for a bit of advice. I am thinking of selling a few of my prints online. Have just being selling a few here and there locally, but looking to sell a few online now.

The only bit I am stuck on is the sending part. Does anyone on here send A3 Size frames/parcels and what service/courier do they use?

I was going to use An Post, but they seem be €13 a package.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
    an post advantage card labels

Pack of 25 for €170 (6.80 each) Up to 10kg.
    https://www.anpost.com/Shop/Products/ACStandPL

You could also just sell prints that are in a cardboard frame and send as large envelope - up to C3 size (larger than A3 and up to 25mm thick and rate would be €2.50 for 250g.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

silver2020 wrote: »
    an post advantage card labels

Pack of 25 for €170 (6.80 each) Up to 10kg.
    https://www.anpost.com/Shop/Products/ACStandPL

You could also just sell prints that are in a cardboard frame and send as large envelope - up to C3 size (larger than A3 and up to 25mm thick and rate would be €2.50 for 250g.

It looks interesting, but typical of An Post, you only get half the story. is it tracked/insured? They should tell you one way or another what it covers.

• Advertisement

whiterebel wrote: »
    It looks interesting, but typical of An Post, you only get half the story. is it tracked/insured? They should tell you one way or another what it covers.

It states that they are "Standard Parcel Labels" and a quick reference to standard service is no insurance and no tracking.

Remember it is very rare for items to go missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭user302243

Tracking is included, insurance is not. They're very handy I use them and drop of the parcels at a Post Locker. The labels are for ROI only not NI.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

It states that they are "Standard Parcel Labels" and a quick reference to standard service is no insurance and no tracking.

Remember it is very rare for items to go missing.

Can you show me anywhere it references Standard parcels? Not standard post. You know, the service where it goes up to 10kg max.

Can you show me anywhere it references Standard parcels? Not standard post. You know, the service where it goes up to 10kg max.

here
    https://www.anpost.com/Commerce/Parcel-Solutions/Domestic-Parcels/Domestic-Parcel-Delivery

Need any more hand holding?

Standard Parcels? I deliberately said not Standard Post, which is what you linked to. There is no Standard Parcel rates or service anywhere up to 10kgs. It says tracking is included where you said it isn't.

Before you try to be smart next time, try going to specsavers.

Standard Parcels? I deliberately said not Standard Post, which is what you linked to. There is no Standard Parcel rates or service anywhere up to 10kgs. It says tracking is included where you said it isn't.

Before you try to be smart next time, try going to specsavers.

I think you are being pedantic and i think you knew all along what it was, but just wanted to agrue.

Move along, more important things that a slight wording difference.

Its pisstake arguments like this from mods that sees many decent people who have information stop posting.

I think you are being pedantic and i think you knew all along what it was, but just wanted to agrue.

Move along, more important things that a slight wording difference.

Its pisstake arguments like this from mods that sees many decent people who have information stop posting.

I asked because it is a valid question, and I have asked An Post, with no response. There is no specific service up to 10Kgs, so none of the links are relevant to this service. Standard Post rates for parcels breakpoints are 2kg, 5kg, 15kg and 20g.

I asked a civil question, and you came back with smart answer.
    It's attitudes like yours that stop people from posting. If that is going to be your standard of reply in these forums it won't be welcome.

I asked because it is a valid question, and I have asked An Post, with no response. There is no specific service up to 10Kgs, so none of the links are relevant to this service. Standard Post rates for parcels breakpoints are 2kg, 5kg, 15kg and 20g.

I asked a civil question, and you came back with smart answer.
    It's attitudes like yours that stop people from posting. If that is going to be your standard of reply in these forums it won't be welcome.

An Post has three main categories of post – Standard, Registered and Express.
    These labels are for Standard post only. They each have a unique consignment number, but I don't believe they provide full tracking.

They have four size categories – Letter, Large Envelope, Packet and Parcel.
    The labels can be used on anything up to and including Parcel size.

Standard Parcel post has 15 weight categories from 100g to 20kg. (These have now been simplified, but up to last year, each kg over 5kg was a different price.)
    These labels cover any weight up to 10kg.

"Standard" is the service. "Parcel" is the size. "10kg" is the weight.

They each have a unique consignment number, but I don't believe they provide full tracking.

Everything I've sent with these labels have had full tracking from pick up to delivery. You don't get a signature on delivery though.

An Post has three main categories of post – Standard, Registered and Express.
    These labels are for Standard post only. They each have a unique consignment number, but I don't believe they provide full tracking.

They have four size categories – Letter, Large Envelope, Packet and Parcel.
    The labels can be used on anything up to and including Parcel size.

Standard Parcel post has 15 weight categories from 100g to 20kg. (These have now been simplified, but up to last year, each kg over 5kg was a different price.)
    These labels cover any weight up to 10kg.

"Standard" is the service. "Parcel" is the size. "10kg" is the weight.

See, this is where the confusion comes is. Standard Post says tracking is included. Is standard post not the normal €1 stamp and throw it in the postbox? That isn't tracked.

• Advertisement

See, this is where the confusion comes is. Standard Post says tracking is included. Is standard post not the normal €1 stamp and throw it in the postbox? That isn't tracked.

On the Standard Post page it says only Parcels are tracked.

This page is just for Parcels and says it's tacked.

user302243 wrote: »
    On the Standard Post page it says only Parcels are tracked.

This page is just for Parcels and says it's tacked.

On the first link when you go down to "Things to know" it says you can track your parcel.

On the second link about Parcel, the service comparison is post, includes the €1 letter post, which is obviously not tracked, yet that page says it is. Thats why it was so difficult to work out if the parcel would be.

I have things to send out around the country and bought the €6.80 parcel labels, but they don't tell you what's covered, and its not one of the "normal" services.

At least I know now only to send low value goods with it.

Yes, you're right. Apparently tracking is available on standard post for parcels. I'd gone through four packs of these without realising. That seems like a bonus because you don't get that on the smaller sizes and it makes it eligible for PayPal's seller protection. Obviously you would need some kind of prepaid label that has a tracking number.

On the first link when you go down to "Things to know" it says you can track your parcel.

And you can. Standard Post for parcels is tracked. Whether you pay online, in the post office or use a prepaid label.

On the second link about Parcel, the service comparison is post, includes the €1 letter post, which is obviously not tracked, yet that page says it is. Thats why it was so difficult to work out if the parcel would be.

That page is just for Parcels. It's under Parcels Solutions and only ever talks about Parcels. The €1 letter post is not mentioned on that page.

I have things to send out around the country and bought the €6.80 parcel labels, but they don't tell you what's covered, and its not one of the "normal" services.

At least I know now only to send low value goods with it.

This is a "normal" service. You are just prepaying 10KG for Standard Post Parcel. Standard Post Parcel is available online and in post offices as well. Just more expensive.

user302243 wrote: »

That page is just for Parcels. It's under Parcels Solutions and only ever talks about Parcels. The €1 letter post is not mentioned on that page.

Reliable national and international delivery service
    Delivery in Ireland next working day
    Prices start at €1.00 for letters and from €2.00 for large A4 envelopes
    Depending on packet size, prices begin from €3.80
    An Post parcel rates start from €8.00
    Standard Post can deliver parcels up to 20kg in weight

When you click on the Standard Post at the bottom of the Service comparison, the above is what you see.

Small packages in the cheapest bracket aren't tracked either....https://www.anpost.com/Post-Parcels/Sending/Calculate-Postage/results

Reliable national and international delivery service
    Delivery in Ireland next working day
    Prices start at €1.00 for letters and from €2.00 for large A4 envelopes
    Depending on packet size, prices begin from €3.80
    An Post parcel rates start from €8.00
    Standard Post can deliver parcels up to 20kg in weight

When you click on the Standard Post at the bottom of the Service comparison, the above is what you see.

Yes as thats bringing you out of the Parcel specific information and to the Standard Post generic information. The generic page still says Parcels are tracked.
    Small packages in the cheapest bracket aren't tracked either....https://www.anpost.com/Post-Parcels/Sending/Calculate-Postage/results

Packages aren't parcels. All parcels are tracked.

Advertisement