Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What musical instrument would you love to play?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,560 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

The banjo, only to be able to play like the boys in deliverance

• Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

endacl wrote: »
    If your really interested I can put you in touch with a few players.

FWIW, anyone interested in dipping a toe in water full of strange (and not so strange) stringed and reed instruments should treat themselves to a visit to Le Son Continu in central France (where I do my babysitting ;)) The centrepiece of the festival is an instrument-makers' fair, where you are encouraged to try just about everything on display on the 120-ish stands. Spend nine hours trying to squeeze a tune out of whatever stick or bag you like, then spend the rest of the night listening to how it should sound! 7€ a day in pre-Corona times, a day being 20 hours (10am - 6am) - and worth every cent: how often will you get to mess around on an instrument worth five figures? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17 meggiemegmeg

I’d love to be able to play a church organ. I love the drama of an organ. It’s not very portable for bringing to parties though....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

I wanna be the bad boy on bass

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Bobblehats wrote: »
    I wanna be the bad boy on bass
    What do you call a beautiful woman on a bass player's arm?

A tattoo.

Badum tish

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

Trish? I only bummed her last night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Gorteen

Uileann pipes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

FWIW, anyone interested in dipping a toe in water full of strange (and not so strange) stringed and reed instruments should treat themselves to a visit to Le Son Continu in central France (where I do my babysitting ;)) The centrepiece of the festival is an instrument-makers' fair, where you are encouraged to try just about everything on display on the 120-ish stands. Spend nine hours trying to squeeze a tune out of whatever stick or bag you like, then spend the rest of the night listening to how it should sound! 7€ a day in pre-Corona times, a day being 20 hours (10am - 6am) - and worth every cent: how often will you get to mess around on an instrument worth five figures? :D

Looks fabulous - also quite virtuous and sober! All those wafer thin frenchwomen and not an oompa loompa in sight!

Do you get to babysit that chateaux :0
    Where is the festival based ? What airport!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Joined a brass band when I was twelve.

Got to play the cornet, on "seconds".

That was the highlight of my musical career.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Learned the violin as a kid
    Wish I'd learned something else.

You never learned anything else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I play bass plus some iffy guitar & keyboards, but I really wish I could learn the drums too. This is what comes from listening to too much Rush, you start wanting to play all the instruments. I ain't got much rhythm, though.

PS: what, no-one wants to learn the Highland Bagpipes? Smart move: I learned in my late teens and was in a pipe band for a year, but it's a horrible instrument. It puts you through the wringer for results that really aren't worth the effort, and you have to go to some extraordinary finger contortions to give the music some life. Avoid.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

fryup wrote: »
    or the harmonica handy size carry in your pocket, tried to learn it but it's damn hard

It ain’t hard. Gotta get deep down and feel it. Chicken wing stamp your foot... come on now!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Saxophone. Being able to play like someone like Coltrane would be unbelievable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

As the guitarist in 2 bands Id love to be able to play guitar. Some day.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

Can play guitar adequately. Okay at rhythm and poor enough with lead.

Have considered playing cheating banjo.. guitjo or banjitar. A six string banjo tunes like a guitar.

New sounds, no new chord shapes to learn :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Anything really. My Father and sister are professional musicians and whenever I watch them play I’m in awe. My Dad plays mandolin, guitar and a bit of violin and piano. I did play cello for a few years when I was younger but was never great at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭trashcan

Can play guitar adequately. Okay at rhythm and poor enough with lead.

Have considered playing cheating banjo.. guitjo or banjitar. A six string banjo tunes like a guitar.
    New sounds, no new chord shapes to learn :)

That sounds about similar to me. I can play an ok rhythm guitar, not great with barre chords so I play mainly open, or half barre. I was toying with getting a ukulele, then I discovered the gitelele. Uke size, but with six strings so same chord shapes, but a uke type sound.. It’s the equivalent of playing a guitar with a capo on the fifth fret.

I know a couple of piano chords, but I’d like to be able to play properly. Can’t really get the two hands playing different things though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

frosty123 wrote: »
    Which would be the easiest instrument to learn...The Triangle ?
    The canons in Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

The spoons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

The spoons.

Tricky!!

Xylaphone - any 3 yo can play that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

I know the basics of the guitar but would love to get bigger into it, having said that I could sing away in a sing-song and have been told I can hold a tune :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Uileann pipes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

Ukulele. I'm a trained classical singer and play piano at an intermediate level. But I should add a string instrument to my rep. Why the ukulele? My grandfather was born in Hilo, HI and was of Portuguese descent, via grandparents from the Azores and Madeira. The Madeirans introduced the ukulele to Hawaii, so if I'm going to learn a string instrument, it should be the ukulele.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Your Face wrote: »
    The Uilleann pipes. Lovely sounding instrument.

In the right hands

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭scotchy

I play a bit of Tenor Banjo, but always wanted to have a go at the Double Base.

Its not the easiest looking instrument to lug around to sessions, but always sounds great, and looks really cool.

:cool:

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭trashcan

Ukulele. I'm a trained classical singer and play piano at an intermediate level. But I should add a string instrument to my rep. Why the ukulele? My grandfather was born in Hilo, HI and was of Portuguese descent, via grandparents from the Azores and Madeira. The Madeirans introduced the ukulele to Hawaii, so if I'm going to learn a string instrument, it should be the ukulele.

You should check out the Ukelele Orchestra of Great Britain if you haven’t already. Lots of their stuff on YouTube. They are quite brilliant, play everything from Life on Mars, to Teenage Kicks, to Pinball Wizard, to Wuthering Heights.
    In the right hands

Reminds me of the Oscar Wilde quote.. “A gentleman is someone who knows how to play the bagpipes, but doesn’t.” :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

FanadMan wrote: »

I've played the guitar and harmonica for close to 40 years

tried the harmonica, man was that hard! suck & blow in such short intervals...my lips & tongue would go numb:o

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

tried the harmonica, man was that hard! suck & blow in such short intervals...my lips & tongue would go numb:o

Oh, man....

That’s the greatest ever opportunity for an After Hours reply!

Must.... restrain ... childish .... impulses....

:D

With the blues harp you need to get up up close and personal, really wrap yourself around that thing. You’ll be belting out midnight rambler in no time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

Base for sure I Love Jamiroqui but there original base player has gone a little WHACKADOODLE but still supremely talented individual.

Advertisement