Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sick calf

Options
  • 22-02-2021 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Have a month old calf thats not himself. Noticed he had a slight cough last couple days but took his temp and was normal, called vet and he told me could even be from the straw shaking it out.
    This evening his ear dropped on one side. he is still running around but just not himself. Vet thinks could be early stages of meningitis. Whats the chances of calves pulling through if was? He got lots of beastings and was always in a clean dry bedded shed.

Vet came out there and treated accordingly. Into vein and nuflor, + 3x3mm nuflora for next 3 days.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭tanko

He has a good chance of pulling through if he gets proper treatment.
    Is the vet going to look at him this evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ldcoupe

Vet has came and gone. was out half hour after call.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭tanko

If you've caught it early he has a good chance hopefully.
    Meningitis can be a horrible ailment, as long as he can eat and drink he should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭RD10

ldcoupe wrote: »
    Have a month old calf thats not himself. Noticed he had a slight cough last couple days but took his temp and was normal, called vet and he told me could even be from the straw shaking it out.
    This evening his ear dropped on one side. he is still running around but just not himself. Vet thinks could be early stages of meningitis. Whats the chances of calves pulling through if was? He got lots of beastings and was always in a clean dry bedded shed.

Vet came out there and treated accordingly. Into vein and nuflor, + 3x3mm nuflora for next 3 days.

I have what your describing here too i think.
    4 week old calf, had been coughing a lot for a few days, was keeping an eye on him.
    usually quite lively and jumping about in the straw, went out two mornings ago and he wasnt himself, noticed one his ears dropped slightly and quieter than usual. Stood him up and he moved away but not at his usual speed.
    Threw load of straw in for him and got stuff to give him from vet for him.
    He Seemed worse off when i got back and had bit of a chill, gave him injection and seemed in better form the following morning.
    Gave him the 2nd injection today. Seems much better but still coughing. Will be keeping a close eye on him.
    Have weanlings coughing since that cold snow snap 2 weeks ago, wind had come from different direction and in on top of them.
    Was thinking they all got a chill.

Is he still sucking the cow ok?

RD10 wrote: »
    4 week old calf, had been coughing a lot for a few days, was keeping an eye on him.
    usually quite lively and jumping about in the straw, went out two mornings ago and he wasnt himself, noticed one his ears dropped slightly and quieter than usual. Stood him up and he moved away but not at his usual speed.
    He Seemed worse off when i got back and had bit of a chill, gave him injection and seemed in better form the following morning.
    Gave him the 2nd injection today. Seems much better but still coughing. Will be keeping a close eye on him.
    Have weanlings coughing since that cold snow snap 2 weeks ago, wind had come from different direction and in on top of them.

Thats strage,seems the exact same. Yes sucking cow alright and seems to be even chewing cudd. Always nibbling bit hay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

RD10 wrote: »

Give him half a small glass of poitin fill the rest up with Luke warm black tea you'll have a different calf in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

lab man wrote: »
    Give him half a small glass of poitin fill the rest up with Luke warm black tea you'll have a different calf in the morning

Jeez, I'd drink that myself.:rolleyes:

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Dunedin

lab man wrote: »

I’d say stick with what the vet gave you or you’ll have no calf in the morning........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

Dunedin wrote: »
    I’d say stick with what the vet gave you or you’ll have no calf in the morning........

All right so ....

Thats strage,seems the exact same. Yes sucking cow alright and seems to be even chewing cudd. Always nibbling bit hay.

Yes sounds similiar to mine. Any draft coming in at him?
    How is he today after vet?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Check the ears.could be a little infected agter tagging

• Registered Users Posts: 11,164 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I've had a few calves over recent years with similar symptoms and our then Vet showed me what to do. First thing I do is to gently put my finger (wear a clean glove) down into the ear and check if there is any liquid gunk. If so then I gently wash the ear out with warm (blood temp) salt and water using a syringe, turn their head and drain as much as possible out. They normally shake their head afterwards anyway. Then gently syringe 5ml of Betamox into the ear and get a shot of Resflor from the Vet.
    Our Vet one time mentioned mycoplasma bovis as a possible cause. We had it happening with calves that were vaccinated with Rispoval rs+pi3 but they got better within a few days.

Different calf this morning. Ears are back to normal and he running around shed. Thank god! Tomorrow is the last dose of newflor for him so hopefully keeps going the way he is.
    Thank you for all the replies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Different calf this morning. Ears are back to normal and he running around shed. Thank god! Tomorrow is the last dose of newflor for him so hopefully keeps going the way he is.
    Thank you for all the replies

Always nice to see that. Makes you feel a proper farmer looking after your animals.......

Good to hear. Glad he's back to himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭jimini0

Will be calling the vet first thing in the morning. Just wondering for peace of mind what it could be. Have a 14 week old calf bucket reared calf. She is off milk replacer now. She seems to twitch and kick her legs when trying to urinate. She just doesn't seem to be herself.

Advertisement