Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Driving licence medical report

Options
  • 21-02-2021 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I sent this question to several insurance companies:

"When buying car insurance, is a completed Driving Licence Medical Report Form sufficient information regarding my health? Can I keep further details of my health private, between my doctor and I?"

The reply from Allianz was:

“You should inform the National Driver Licence Service (NDLS) of any conditions which may impair your ability to drive. You may be required to submit a medical report completed by registered medical practitioner. Please see www.ndls.ie for details or if you require more information.

You are not required to reveal any medical conditions to Allianz, if you choose not to.

If you have been issued with a valid driving licence on completion of a medical examination, your insurance cover will remain unaffected.”

Are there other insurance companies with policies similar to Allianz where "You are not required to reveal any medical conditions to Allianz, if you choose not to."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,327 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

There's a strong suggestion in your post that you're looking for a way to conceal some medical condition that you're worried may affect your ability to get insurance or which may lead to a higher premium.

It's not simply a case of giving them a copy of the GP's medical report and leaving it at that - insurance companies don't ask to see that report. Instead, and rather than ticking boxes, you need to be aware that insurance is based on the principle of 'Uberrima fides' - utmost good faith. Which, translated into everyday language means that if there is any doubt in your mind, you must report it.

But in practical terms, if you get a driving licence which allows you to drive without any major restrictions, you probably will not get loaded for insurance. Put another way, if the medical condition adversely affected your ability to drive to the extent that nobody will cover you for insurance, you probably wouldn't get a driving licence in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Be careful OP. If you do not disclose all relevant information to the NDLS as part of your licence application, your insurance may be invalid,, as insurers rely on the fact the the NDLS have licenced you as fit to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭zg3409

Does your vehicle need an adaptation to help with any condition? That also needs to be notified. Beware insurance companies will use any excuse not to pay a claim such as non factory fitted wheels, non factory fitted radio etc. so any condition that could cause any driving impairment should be at least discussed with doctor.

You could start a new thread with a new account and discuss actual condition and his it might be discussed.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Once you license has the code 101 beside the licence category and you declare if the car requires modifications for supporting same then you are grand. You must be medically fit to drive.
    The insurers will not request in-depth med reports.
    There are any amount of 101 licence holders probably on this forum, myself included so if we can help

Advertisement