Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digger for farmer

Options
  • 17-02-2021 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭

What digger do ye reckon would be best for around 15k?
    Seen a lot of EX-60s on donedeal, are the dash 2,3&4 problematic on them or just on the bigger ones like the 120s etc
    Would want something with a bit of size, a 6 ton would be ideal as can do drainage, lifting fert bags, bits of reclaiming and still use it around the sheds for cleaning out and push in silage if im feeling lazy :D
    What are kobelcos and UHO Hitachi's like seen a few of them aswell

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Ford4life wrote: »
    What digger do ye reckon would be best for around 15k?
    Seen a lot of EX-60s on donedeal, are the dash 2,3&4 problematic on them or just on the bigger ones like the 120s etc
    Would want something with a bit of size, a 6 ton would be ideal as can do drainage, lifting fert bags, bits of reclaiming and still use it around the sheds for cleaning out and push in silage if im feeling lazy :D
    What are kobelcos and UHO Hitachi's like seen a few of them aswell

We have always had a JCB on the farm great all rounder and mobile, but limited if you're doing mainly digging.

Stay absolutely away from an ex hire machine.
    Ie, ex tool hire.
    And yea, father feeds the silage with the JCB

But I agree, 6 tonne is a good size for farm work.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭orchard farm

Have a ex60 _1 here for years great farm machine easy run,easy on ground,easy to fix only issue is position of the levers

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Ford4life

We have always had a JCB on the farm great all rounder and mobile, but limited if you're doing mainly digging.

Stay absolutely away from an ex hire machine.
    Ie, ex tool hire.
    And yea, father feeds the silage with the JCB

But I agree, 6 tonne is a good size for farm work.

The JCB wouldnt be great in wet ground id assume sink fierce easy under her own weight, youd go insane driving them too if you were digging out a drain, Drop the legs, dig a bit, lift them up gomove the tractor and trailer then repeat :D
    Ex hires are always abused, grease doesnt exist when its not your machine is the usual thing :D

Have a ex60 _1 here for years great farm machine easy run,easy on ground,easy to fix only issue is position of the levers

Is it really as bad as most fellas say? is it that you cant rest your arms on anything while using them or what

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

Wouldn't bother with an EX-60, they are the farmers 390 of the excavators. Undersized, Under-powered, over priced and over hyped. You'd be better off with a ten to 14 ton machine. A small excavator under pressure will burn more diesel and break down more than a proper sized machine.
    Great value out there in the 10 - 14 ton range. You could pick up a Hyundai 140 or Komatsu for more or less the same price as an ex-60.
    Either way you need a low-loader to move them so maybe a Backhoe JCB might suit better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭older by the day

I have dreamed many years of getting a digger. "I told all of my friends, again and again and again, I drove them round the bend, now you're my only friend". But most lads with the digger, has the farm looking like Stalingrad after the war. A one man band going for pipes, going for hard core, trying to look after cattle. I couldn't start a drain without hitting a nob of rock. So I need to buy a breaker. Need a low loader to go to the outside farm. And don't have knowledge on how to fix them. Cost of oils parts. Twud hardly pay a farmer. I'd love a digger

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭ballinadog

We’ve an EX100-5 Hitachi, bought it in 2013. Serious machine, can’t fault it. Loads of power and even at 10tn still neat enough to fit in to tight enough corners. Posters are right tho, the Hitachis have a premium price. For same money ya’ll get a fresher machine. The Green Kobelcos (stay away from any yellow NH Kobelco’s) and Komatsu’s would be my next recommendations brand wise

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

I drove an 8 tonne kobelco on a job I'n Scotland a few yrs ago when we were under pressure for site based lads and I had to leave the comfort of the office. Serious machine altogether for its size and was handy on juice. I think I put about 600m of duct in one day with it. Had the swivel boom aswell which is great for tight digging or getting rocks out etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

The JCB wouldnt be great in wet ground id assume sink fierce easy under her own weight, youd go insane driving them too if you were digging out a drain, Drop the legs, dig a bit, lift them up gomove the tractor and trailer then repeat :D
    Ex hires are always abused, grease doesnt exist when its not your machine is the usual thing :D

The problem with ex hire machines isn't lack of grease. The seen more grease than most machines. But in particularly the smaller ones you would have weekend warriors hiring them and using them for work they were not intended to do. They're only a tool. It's easy break a shovel or spade if you don't know how to use it.

5000 hours in an owner operated machine and its practically new. 5000 hours tool hire are absolutely wrecked.

Also, what happens is lads who can drive machines hire them to use rock breakers on them rather than wreck their own.

One guy hired a 13 tonne with a rock breaker for 2 weeks. Owner got a little suspicious paid a visit to him..here's the digger in practically a stone quarry hammering out tanks for a slatted shed out of practically all solid rock while his own machines lay there polished doing little.

"I'll need it for another week, so can you book it in for the next 2 weeks"

I will in my bollocks he says

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

Take a bit of advice and pay a man with a digger to do what needs to be done when it needs to be done, you'll buy the digger and it'll get wavin for the first month or so until silage starts or cows start calving or milking starts up again and it'll be left where you started the last job half done and up to its tracks in mud like 80 percent of farmers diggers, coupled with the fact most lads aren't good enough to make a right job of what they start and finish up in a hurry because theres a test or slurry to spread
    Leave it parked then for 6 weeks and wonder why are hoses bursting and slow to start and battery dead the day you want it because you didnt get a chance to finish that job because you didn't get time
    You'll end up spending 2 grand on it to make it respectable for selling only to sell it on to the next lad who'll think he'll make 45 acres of rushes and freach into the golden vale because he opens up a hundred yards of drain, by all means buy a digger but like 80 percent of farmers diggers it'll probably end up like the batty pony bought in spancil hill for the young lads and you looking in over a gate at it telling yourself I must do something with that yoke after buying it
    From experience all diggers on farms seem to do is make work for lads who have enough to do anyway, pay someone else to do it and do it right, and if it's for pushing in silage to cows you want, buy a jcb 2cx with bucket and forks and it'll do all you need it to do

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

In west cork 20 ton is the only job,for what the lads down this way do.smaller ones are fine for cleaning drains but for reclamation you need the 20 ton.if ye want to see the kind of thing that regularly goes on in west cork especially from around skibbereen west check out jb agri video s on you tube-"5 diggers one job"400 euro an hour id say for the 5 and this isnt the first job this crowd have done,could have 40 acres done this way

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Crackedjim01

I hire an ex60-5 on steel tracks with a blade every now and again and I can get a lot of work done with it. It will load into a 14t dump trailer on level ground but the bucket will be close to full crowd and you can't go full chat when slewing. I have used it in and around the yard and under sheds where a 13t wouldn't be practical. Controls are nice and plenty of power for its size. Definitely not compatible to a 12/13t machine though.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭orchard farm

Is it really as bad as most fellas say? is it that you cant rest your arms on anything while using them or what

I used it for 15 years, i guess you get used to it but in the end had to move digger on as my shoulder couldnt hack sittin in that forward position any longer, once you sit in a more modern machine with controls on the armrests youd never go back apart from that id recommend the -1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭older by the day

K.G. wrote: »
    In west cork 20 ton is the only job,for what the lads down this way do.smaller ones are fine for cleaning drains but for reclamation you need the 20 ton.if ye want to see the kind of thing that regularly goes on in west cork especially from around skibbereen west check out jb agri video s on you tube-"5 diggers one job"400 euro an hour id say for the 5 and this isnt the first job this crowd have done,could have 40 acres done this way[/quote,

5 diggers, 3 lorrys hauling, 2 tractors and dump trailers, 2 bulldozers grading all in the same day. So don't be going by them fellows. Roughly 200 acres in the last ten years

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

In west cork 20 ton is the only job,for what the lads down this way do.smaller ones are fine for cleaning drains but for reclamation you need the 20 ton.if ye want to see the kind of thing that regularly goes on in west cork especially from around skibbereen west check out jb agri video s on you tube-"5 diggers one job"400 euro an hour id say for the 5 and this isnt the first job this crowd have done,could have 40 acres done this way[/quote,

5 diggers, 3 lorrys hauling, 2 tractors and dump trailers, 2 bulldozers grading all in the same day. So don't be going by them fellows. Roughly 200 acres in the last ten years

Ah i know where they are but wouldn't be that close to them.but there would alot of similar stuff going on but maybe not on that scale.we bought a.place 5 years ago and have started doing a section every year with a couple of years probaly another 5 years in it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭davidk1394

We have a 1990 3cx. Great tool to have. A versatile machine around the yard but slow and cumbersome on the roads. While we do a lot of digging with it some jobs like putting in ducting for the three phase cable and digging the foundations for the parlor I hired in a 7 tonne Doosan and a friend drove it. It allowed me to stay working at other jobs.

ballinadog wrote: »
    We’ve an EX100-5 Hitachi, bought it in 2013. Serious machine, can’t fault it. Loads of power and even at 10tn still neat enough to fit in to tight enough corners. Posters are right tho, the Hitachis have a premium price. For same money ya’ll get a fresher machine. The Green Kobelcos (stay away from any yellow NH Kobelco’s) and Komatsu’s would be my next recommendations brand wise

Price doesnt really rise much the heavier they are usually, whats wrong with the yellow kobelcos? Komatsu are reliable enough I've heard but parts are fierce expensive arent they if anything goes wrong?

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    I drove an 8 tonne kobelco on a job I'n Scotland a few yrs ago when we were under pressure for site based lads and I had to leave the comfort of the office. Serious machine altogether for its size and was handy on juice. I think I put about 600m of duct in one day with it. Had the swivel boom aswell which is great for tight digging or getting rocks out etc.

Was that one of the green ones or yellow NH ones? Knuckle boom is a good job alright but reduces the reach a lot

The problem with ex hire machines isn't lack of grease. The seen more grease than most machines. But in particularly the smaller ones you would have weekend warriors hiring them and using them for work they were not intended to do. They're only a tool. It's easy break a shovel or spade if you don't know how to use it.

5000 hours in an owner operated machine and its practically new. 5000 hours tool hire are absolutely wrecked.

Also, what happens is lads who can drive machines hire them to use rock breakers on them rather than wreck their own.

One guy hired a 13 tonne with a rock breaker for 2 weeks. Owner got a little suspicious paid a visit to him..here's the digger in practically a stone quarry hammering out tanks for a slatted shed out of practically all solid rock while his own machines lay there polished doing little.

"I'll need it for another week, so can you book it in for the next 2 weeks"

I will in my bollocks he says

Everyone can be guilty of using machines for stuff they werent designed for :D Rockbreakers are fierce hard on machines alright, what parts would the breaker weaken the most, what would you have to watch out for on a machine thats already piped for a breaker?

Take a bit of advice and pay a man with a digger to do what needs to be done when it needs to be done, you'll buy the digger and it'll get wavin for the first month or so until silage starts or cows start calving or milking starts up again and it'll be left where you started the last job half done and up to its tracks in mud like 80 percent of farmers diggers, coupled with the fact most lads aren't good enough to make a right job of what they start and finish up in a hurry because theres a test or slurry to spread
    Leave it parked then for 6 weeks and wonder why are hoses bursting and slow to start and battery dead the day you want it because you didnt get a chance to finish that job because you didn't get time
    You'll end up spending 2 grand on it to make it respectable for selling only to sell it on to the next lad who'll think he'll make 45 acres of rushes and freach into the golden vale because he opens up a hundred yards of drain, by all means buy a digger but like 80 percent of farmers diggers it'll probably end up like the batty pony bought in spancil hill for the young lads and you looking in over a gate at it telling yourself I must do something with that yoke after buying it
    From experience all diggers on farms seem to do is make work for lads who have enough to do anyway, pay someone else to do it and do it right, and if it's for pushing in silage to cows you want, buy a jcb 2cx with bucket and forks and it'll do all you need it to do

Tis for the convenience of being able to use it for jobs as they need to be done, any fella around here doing digger work is always fierce busy
    We arent milking, i would hope to milk cows in the future though
    Silage only lasts a day, I'd have all our slurry out in one day then I'd have be idle until second cut in 3/4 months time besides my day job but thats just an odd day here and there usually
    With the silage it would just be if the digger was in the yard and could use it to clean out the shed also, id usually use the pike
    You are right though for sure about most farmers diggers

• Advertisement

Was that one of the green ones or yellow NH ones? Knuckle boom is a good job alright but reduces the reach a lot

Green one. How do you make out it reduces the reach?. If anything it lengthens it as the boom is further away from the cab.

In west cork 20 ton is the only job,for what the lads down this way do.smaller ones are fine for cleaning drains but for reclamation you need the 20 ton.if ye want to see the kind of thing that regularly goes on in west cork especially from around skibbereen west check out jb agri video s on you tube-"5 diggers one job"400 euro an hour id say for the 5 and this isnt the first job this crowd have done,could have 40 acres done this way

Wouldnt be a whole pile of reclaiming maybe an acre here and there, im from around that area and actually saw them doing that work, theyre the same crowd that had the 40ton get stuck right?

I hire an ex60-5 on steel tracks with a blade every now and again and I can get a lot of work done with it. It will load into a 14t dump trailer on level ground but the bucket will be close to full crowd and you can't go full chat when slewing. I have used it in and around the yard and under sheds where a 13t wouldn't be practical. Controls are nice and plenty of power for its size. Definitely not compatible to a 12/13t machine though.

12 ton would be nice for definite and wouldnt be much more expensive than a 6 ton tbh but we could move the 6t in our trailer we have already which would be handy, 6 ton would be a lot lighter on diesel aswell

I used it for 15 years, i guess you get used to it but in the end had to move digger on as my shoulder couldnt hack sittin in that forward position any longer, once you sit in a more modern machine with controls on the armrests youd never go back apart from that id recommend the -1

Could you make any modifications to improve the comfort, diy armrest kind of thing? Long days would be tough so if youd have to be hunched over all day

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    Green one. How do you make out it reduces the reach?. If anything it lengthens it as the boom is further away from the cab.

do you mean it had the boom out infront like this one? https://www.donedeal.ie/plantmachinery-for-sale/sold-hitachi-zx48u-5/27071410
    I thought it was one like this you meant the boom would be shorter with it
    https://www.donedeal.ie/plantmachinery-for-sale/hitachi-ex60-5-for-sale/27047381

do you mean it had the boom out infront like this one? https://www.donedeal.ie/plantmachinery-for-sale/sold-hitachi-zx48u-5/27071410
    I thought it was one like this you meant the boom would be shorter with it
    https://www.donedeal.ie/plantmachinery-for-sale/hitachi-ex60-5-for-sale/27047381

Yeah that's a knuckle boom

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Iodine1

Wouldnt be a whole pile of reclaiming maybe an acre here and there, im from around that area and actually saw them doing that work, theyre the same crowd that had the 40ton get stuck right?[/QUOTE

In this case you don't need a digger, it's only wishful thinking. On any farm there is bound to be other things you could spend money on. Your digger will be great for a fortnight then all the bits and pieces will be done and you'll be looking at a pile of metal lads will be offering to take off your hands at a mighty loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭ballinadog

Price doesnt really rise much the heavier they are usually, whats wrong with the yellow kobelcos? Komatsu are reliable enough I've heard but parts are fierce expensive arent they if anything goes wrong?

Re the expensive parts, we just found that anything with them tended to be a main dealer issue, an we are on Galway Mayo border so it was along way to McHales in Birdhill Tipp. Having said that we’d three of them, a mini digger and two rubber ducks (9tn and 11tn) and all three worked without much bother. Volvos are similar, anything goes wrong it tends to be off to Pat O Donnells, an they seem to give a bit more bother than the Komatsu’s. They have to “regenerate” every now and again and if ya put it off too many times it’s POD again. That’s the beauty of the Hitachis, over here in the West ya have McSharry in Roscommon, Gaynor in Frenchpark, MG in Swinford all as dealers and the likes of Eamon Longs in Galway all with parts readily available

Re the Kobelcos, I don’t know why, but we’d two identical 135’s, same years and everything, but the Green Kobelco would lose and find the New Holland for power and agileness. We reconditioned the NH’s hydraulic pump too but to no avail. Just felt dead

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭mythos110

We bought a 1993 JCB JS130 around 2001 for about £12k at the time. All electrics etc had stopped on it bar the lights. She dig fierce work around the farm from digging out tanks, clearing land and the sites for myself and my brothers houses. Defo paid for itself about 10 times over. About 4 years ago it was getting very shook and in danger of going up in flames so moved it on and got about 5k for it for export and replaced it with a 2002 JS130. Its a treat to have fuel and temp gauges etc working and to have a quick hitch. We wouldn't be without a machine on the farm now. While its not used every day, it can save some hardship when you need it. Recently picked up pallet forks and a man basket which makes trimming trees, accessing gutters etc a hell of a lot safer.
    I do all my own mechanic work but even so, be prepared for the odd big repair bill. Recently the 2002 machine lost throttle. I managed to diagnose the throttle angle sensor which was something around €300 to replace. A final drive failure could north of €2,500 for a reconditioned second hand unit - which I had to replace on the old machine.
    Like any machine, regular servicing and kind operators will make a machine go a hell of a long way.

• Advertisement

Iodine1 wrote: »
    Wouldnt be a whole pile of reclaiming maybe an acre here and there, im from around that area and actually saw them doing that work, theyre the same crowd that had the 40ton get stuck right?[/QUOTE

In this case you don't need a digger, it's only wishful thinking. On any farm there is bound to be other things you could spend money on. Your digger will be great for a fortnight then all the bits and pieces will be done and you'll be looking at a pile of metal lads will be offering to take off your hands at a mighty loss.

Half thinking about digging out a tank and still havent heard back from the digger man, theres drainage to be done in some fields, drains to be cleaned out every year, bits and pieces of rocks id like to take out and bury
    I'd have probably anywhere from 100-300 hundred hours of work with it anyway if not more

Advertisement