Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Big help needed with litter training cat

• 16-02-2021 10:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭

I’ve got 5 cats of my own and foster for local animal welfare regularly, and have lots and lots of experience with litter training and our youngest 4 month old girl is the fist cat we’ve ever had that just won’t use the litter tray.
    She will pee in it occasionally but prefers to go in the shower tray.
    Popping is the worst though. She will go anywhere.
    We’ve provided litter boxes of all shapes and sizes in every room, but she will still go do it either in the shower tray or literally on the floor anywhere.
    I just don’t get it.
    Her litter is wood pellets and she isn’t territorial and gets on with other cats.
    Can anyone give me any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭highdef

I've had a cat about 8 years but have never had a litter tray. The cat lets me know when she needs to go to the loo and I let her out. Same as the dog. I've never had an accidental number one or two indoors.

I've never understood why pet owners train their cats to go to the toilet indoors but train their dogs outside.

Is there any particular reason for inside toilet training for cats but not for dogs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

highdef wrote: »
    I've had a cat about 8 years but have never had a litter tray. The cat lets me know when she needs to go to the loo and I let her out. Same as the dog. I've never had an accidental number one or two indoors.

I've never understood why pet owners train their cats to go to the toilet indoors but train their dogs outside.

Is there any particular reason for inside toilet training for cats but not for dogs?

All my other cats would be horrified at the thought of going on a tray but when you foster kittens they can’t be let outside until they’ve had their vaccinations, so as a rule they will all be litter trained until rehomed. I take her outside and she will pee and has access to outdoors but she isn’t interested in asking to go out. She’s a total law unto herself , I’ve never had a cat like her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

try digging a bit of earth from the garden and mixing with a little sand

it may be more natural for her if a success you can gradually add your normal litter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I would definitely experiment with different litters. Some cats don't like the sensation of the wood pellets under their paws.

Also, some cats don't like to pee and poop in the same litter box. Try two!

boomerang wrote: »
    I would definitely experiment with different litters. Some cats don't like the sensation of the wood pellets under their paws.

Also, some cats don't like to pee and poop in the same litter box. Try two!

I have 5 litter trays available

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,332 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

BengaLover wrote: »
    I’ve got 5 cats of my own and foster for local animal welfare regularly, and have lots and lots of experience with litter training and our youngest 4 month old girl is the fist cat we’ve ever had that just won’t use the litter tray.
    We’ve provided litter boxes of all shapes and sizes in every room, but she will still go do it either in the shower tray or literally on the floor anywhere.
    I just don’t get it.
    Her litter is wood pellets and she isn’t territorial and gets on with other cats.
    Well first of all try a few different non scented clay litters. Secondly put her poop in the litter box. Third make sure you clean up the pee/poo with an enzyme cleaner or the smell will remain and keep a log over where you actually find it; I think you will find a pattern emerging if it continues.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I have 5 litter trays available

Are the other cats using them? Maybe she doesn't like to share?
    The rule of thumb is one litter box per cat, and at least one extra.
    I'd also be experimenting with different substrates, as already suggested.

DBB wrote: »
    Are the other cats using them? Maybe she doesn't like to share?
    The rule of thumb is one litter box per cat, and at least one extra.
    I'd also be experimenting with different substrates, as already suggested.

No other cats use them and the substrate is wood pellets. I’ve tried the nasty clay litter too but she won’t do anything other than pee on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

No other cats use them and the substrate is wood pellets. I’ve tried the nasty clay litter too but she won’t do anything other than pee on it.

can you get her a second hand shower tray and let her use that!? Maybe ahe likes the feel of the plastic fantastic or the coolness of the bathroom or the fact its low and she can see all round her. perhaps!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Aldi and Lidl clay litters get horribly sticky like concrete when wet. But clumping clay litter is different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I just don’t get it.

Could this be an extreme form of territorial behaviour? ie marking as much as she can?

My three ex street cats are similar. Still. Unless they re outside they find somewhere that suits THEM. eg the turf bucket, a corner behind the hearth. Are the trays in full view? That could be contributing. Wondering about a hooded tray?

Graces7 wrote: »
    Could this be an extreme form of territorial behaviour? ie marking as much as she can?

My three ex street cats are similar. Still. Unless they re outside they find somewhere that suits THEM. eg the turf bucket, a corner behind the hearth. Are the trays in full view? That could be contributing. Wondering about a hooded tray?
    We’ve got the hooded tray, the hidden tray, the tray in the shower tray

Pure curiosity, what colour is the cat? My father always had a theory that ginger cats are "dirty" and funny enough my current ginger cat is definitely one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

We’ve got the hooded tray, the hidden tray, the tray in the shower tray

Awww... of course you do! Excuse my lack of imagination.

Would confining her in one small room for a few days help? Maybe too many trays and she is spoilt for choice! Stubborn little cat! I have vague memories of someone with a similar problem confining the cat in a large crate with a tray therein in similar situation?

I now have one of the street strays who pees in any shoe or slipper he finds. So I have to put a box over them...Nothing quite like an early morning step out of bed into a slipper full of cold cat pee....

Advertisement