Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Poo issue

• 16-02-2021 12:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭

Hi,

Just looking for advice. I've a beautiful 4 month old cocker spaniel who doesn't poo while out for his walks only pooing on the back door step! We're just back from a walk now and he asked to go out and straight away went on the step again. On the rare occasion he does poo on his walks i praise him and give him a treat ( one or two of his nuts) what i can do to change this. At this stage it seems a well formed habit!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

That is not the first cocker spaniel I've heard with that habit!!

What you could do is collect a bit of his poo (that he does on the step) into a poo bag and bring it on the walk with you and if he's sniffing about you could empty it out to give him the familiar scent. And of course pick it up afterwards. It's not ideal but it's one way of getting his scent to an unfamiliar location to "expand his horizons" so to speak.

Same idea if you want him to move further into the garden away from the step to prevent it being stepped in, bring the poo to a suitable spot and get his scent there. Also clean the step with an enzyme cleaner to remove the scent if you would like it to remain poo free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭now online

That is not the first cocker spaniel I've heard with that habit!!

What you could do is collect a bit of his poo (that he does on the step) into a poo bag and bring it on the walk with you and if he's sniffing about you could empty it out to give him the familiar scent. And of course pick it up afterwards. It's not ideal but it's one way of getting his scent to an unfamiliar location to "expand his horizons" so to speak.

Same idea if you want him to move further into the garden away from the step to prevent it being stepped in, bring the poo to a suitable spot and get his scent there. Also clean the step with an enzyme cleaner to remove the scent if you would like it to remain poo free.

For some reason the thanks button doesn't work, so thanks for your advice. We'll be heading out for a walk shortly and I'll try that. I've sprayed the step a few times and it's not stopping him yet, he doesn't seem to like the rain but has no trouble going into puddles!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

now online wrote: »
    For some reason the thanks button doesn't work, so thanks for your advice. We'll be heading out for a walk shortly and I'll try that. I've sprayed the step a few times and it's not stopping him yet, he doesn't seem to like the rain but has no trouble going into puddles!

Spray cleaners aren't that effective, particularly if they have bleach in them. To really eliminate the smell you'll need to give it a good scrub with a solution of washing powder. And in fairness, he's doing the right thing, he's eliminating outside, albeit mere centimetres from the door:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

My first thought was ; how clever as you can clean it up easily and always know where he has been.

Advertisement