Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dog peeing in his bed

• 14-02-2021 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

So we got a rescue lurcher pup (9months old now) 4 weeks ago. He is house trained and settling in well.

Except for wetting his beds. I have him 2 beds. One for the kitchen and one for the sitting room. He has wet on both. No where else on the house.

I thought it might be anxiety but I have made sure he goes out for breaks very regularly (every 30mins or so... all I do is offer by opening the door and he decides to go out or not). Also he seems to do it when hes had a happy full play time.

For example today my son was out playing in the garden with him for ages. They both had a good run around and he even got to roll around in the mud for a bit. I brought him in and gave him a bath (he doeant mind the water and I give him peanut butter to make the experience enjoyable) and when he was all dry and seemed quite happy, that's when he went over and peed on his bed.

It was a similar situation the last 2 times. He had just been out in the garden and came in to pee only on his bed.

I dont understand as he goes toilet outside every other day but this is the 4th time in 4 weeks. And it's always on his beds. Can anyone give me some insight?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭Zebrag

CaoinDory wrote: »
    So we got a rescue lurcher pup (9months old now) 4 weeks ago. He is house trained and settling in well.

Except for wetting his beds. I have him 2 beds. One for the kitchen and one for the sitting room. He has wet on both. No where else on the house.

I thought it might be anxiety but I have made sure he goes out for breaks very regularly (every 30mins or so... all I do is offer by opening the door and he decides to go out or not). Also he seems to do it when hes had a happy full play time.

For example today my son was out playing in the garden with him for ages. They both had a good run around and he even got to roll around in the mud for a bit. I brought him in and gave him a bath (he doeant mind the water and I give him peanut butter to make the experience enjoyable) and when he was all dry and seemed quite happy, that's when he went over and peed on his bed.

It was a similar situation the last 2 times. He had just been out in the garden and came in to pee only on his bed.

I dont understand as he goes toilet outside every other day but this is the 4th time in 4 weeks. And it's always on his beds. Can anyone give me some insight?

This is going to sound so unconventional and I can assure you that my Mams dog felt more love than I did, believe me!
    Her dog was the same as yours, went outside to pee and poop every day when training to go toilet outside, on the hour every hour, but still would pee in his bed. After all the training and stress, my Mam said that she took his bed away from him for 2 days. He sleeps on her bedroom floor and these two days with no bed, had him exhausted because he couldn't get comfortable. Also during those two days, she still brought him outside and he also stated to bark to be let outside, walking her to the door.
    It wasn't a case of take the bed away as punishment, but it was a case of, if you keep peeing in your bed, you won't be comfortable on the floor.
    This was 4 years ago and he hasn't had one accident since.
    He eventually got to the stage where he didn't need to be brought out and would let her know he needed to go. Even during the night.
    My Mam spoke to a vet about this on a visit and the vet wasn't impressed but also expressed that some dogs training take shorter or longer, depends on the training itself but the vet also said my mam was doing exactly what needed to be done in terms of controlling her dog and toilet training.
    If all else fails, let your dog know that this is what happens if you do this.
    My mams dog was previously abused and was rehomed in a shelter. The abuse was chained up 24 hours a day which ment he was used to sleeping in his own pee and poop. It was all he knew.
    When training him, he couldn't understand what a treat was for good behaviour and would only eat dry foods as to say he wouldn't accept his food mixed in with gravy and beef etc. It took her the best part of 5 months for her dog to fully trust that his bed was actually a comfort rather than something he sat in day in and day out.
    In the 4 years, he refuses to get into bed if he feels he needs to go toilet and wants to be let out until he goes.
    It can be a case of misconfusion between using the bed as a comfort and using the bed as a toilet. It also depends on the environment, where his bed is etc.
    Also another tip my mam used was, she didn't allow her dog to drink water before bed time. Water bowl and food bowl stayed downstairs which prevented her dog at the start from going to the toilet during the night in his bed. Now, he knows the difference.
    He's loved. Loves his beef and gravy mixed into his food and helps himself to a drink of water during the night and barking when he needs to go toilet

Patience is the key part. Keep doing what you're doing and reward your dogs good behaviour. He might eventually realise that when he pees in his bed, he doesn't get a reward and might stop. If he does, immediately bring him outside and back in again. Dogs are smart and they soon realise after a while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Are you washing the bed properly after he’s gone to the loo on them? You need to use eg bio washing laundry detergent to break the enzymes down so they don’t still smell like wee to him. I’d probably go back to basics with him too and make a big deal of him going outside.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

tk123 wrote: »
    Are you washing the bed properly after he’s gone to the loo on them? You need to use eg bio washing laundry detergent to break the enzymes down so they don’t still smell like wee to him. I’d probably go back to basics with him too and make a big deal of him going outside.

+1, and stop just opening the door to see does he want to go out. You need to go out with him, for now, for 2 reasons:
    1. To ensure he goes to the toilet, and
    2. So that you can give him major praise, and a treat, immediately after he has finished peeing (if still squatting, you do this as he lifts out of the squat. If cocking his leg, then as he lowers his leg post-pee).

Just leaving it to a youngster to decide whether he goes out to pee is risky, and I feel has backfired on you. Remember that the act of peeing is intrinsically rewarding... the feeling of relief is itself reinforcing... for all of us. He has become, to a small extent, "reverse housetrained", whereby he has learned that peeing on the nice, soft, non-splash bed results in this feeling of relief.
    I suspect he was full when he came in from playing... youngsters often won't think to pee when they're consumed with doing something exciting.
    So, you need to now wash the beds with bio washing powder to remove the scent trace, but you also need to seriously reinforce him for going outside. Don't leave it to him to decide whether he wants to go out... not yet. Go with him, he will go... and you can then reinforce him for getting it right, which on top of his own intrinsics feelings of relief, will eventually teach him to self-manage whether to ask to go outside, or not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 Ratcatcher100

Lurchers are often so abused they pee where they sleep so they wont get beaten for being seen peeing. That is possible as they are beaten for even thinking so patience is a must and give him access to the outside a much as you can he will settle in time and it will work out it takes 3 months for a poor lurcher to realise he has a home.

Advertisement