Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sewer smell when flushing toilet.

Options
  • 08-02-2021 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭

Over the last few week a sewer smell has being coming from the main toilet ever time it is flushed. House and toilet are 20 years old, 3 bed semi estate house.

Ensuite and main toilet, both upstairs, run into the same pipe out of the house I think. The smell doesn't come from the ensuite toilet when it's flushed so I'm figuring it's the toilet? Searched a few of the forums and am still a bit confused.

Do toilets have a ring to stop the smell coming back up when it's flushed and as mine is perished it need replacing? I read it in one post but it wasn't mentioned anywhere else.

Just want to get an idea of what I'm looking at before I find a plumber.
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Horusire

I am not a plumber however I just finished renovating my bathroom with my uncle who is a plumber

There was a seal perished around my "multiquik" that was letting the sewer smell up. House is 17 years old. Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Some silicone or tech7 around the outlet waste pipe at the rear of the rubber has perished or get a new ring and fit ... Most likely this.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭A Law

Would yous reckon it's a DIY job or should I cut my losses and call a plumber. I'd make a decent stab at general DIY tasks.

You could disconnect the water flow pipe attached at the rear from the cistern, then unscrew the toilet base and pull out, it can definitely be done.

YouTube is your friend too if my explanation isn't understandable.

Also check man hole in case build up and check vent in stack too.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Horusire

Would yous reckon it's a DIY job or should I cut my losses and call a plumber. I'd make a decent stab at general DIY tasks.

Personally I don't like dealing with water so I ld leave it to plumber. But it looked easy but doesn't everything when a pro does it 😂

• Advertisement

Horusire wrote: »
    Personally I don't like dealing with water so I ld leave it to plumber. But it looked easy but doesn't everything when a pro does it 😂

If you don't flush while the pipe is off then you would be fine, no need to drain the cistern.

Thanks for the help lads. Might get a plumber in this time and watch him doing it so I know for the next time. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭policarp

Thanks for the help lads. Might get a plumber in this time and watch him doing it so I know for the next time. Cheers.

There shouldn't be a next time if the job is done right.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 kingkev100

Could also be the sewage pipe blocked and needs clearing by a hose or drainage company if it's a bad blockage. Check the pipe in garden or side of house.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭steve-o

Depending on how the soil pipework is installed, there might be an air admittance valve somewhere in the bathroom that allows air into the soil pipe, but should not allow any out. If that malfunctions then you could get a whiff when you flush.

• Advertisement

Just to update with a conclusion. Had contacted my plumber, but looked out the window a day or so later and a sewage truck was in the process of doing a 360 before he left. Smell disappeared within 24 hours. Must have been a blockage. I had tried any manhole covers in the garden etc but they seemed to be all rainwater so couldnt tell if it was blocked myself.
    Cheers for the advice.

Advertisement