Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of fascia, soffit & gutters

Options
  • 29-05-2020 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering what would be rough costing of new fascia, soffit & gutters for a 3 bed semi in Dublin.

Also any recommendations welcome.

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I've just spent 325 for 4 x 5m of fascia and same soffit - but I am fitting myself.
    I couldnt say what you'll need for your house - double that at least I would think
    I was helped by a chap called John Leahy who seems to work in Dublin - pm for contact details.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭PCros

Another quick question.

So I have had a few quotes and one of the quotes told me to stay away from aluminium gutters and use PVC gutters. The reason he says is that aluminium gutters are nailed in from the outside of the gutter and as time goes on water flows along the nail into the original wood. Any truth in this?

I also have another quote saying aluminium are the best...

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Corkey123

Yep. Agree stay away from Aluminium.

Nearly always comes away from the fascia. uPVC is more long lasting IMHO

Of course the style of the house may determine the tyle of the guttering and uPVC might not suit

• Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I really like the Lindab steel guttering I fitted. It's very strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Eaglebridie 32

PCros wrote: »
    Another quick question.

So I have had a few quotes and one of the quotes told me to stay away from aluminium gutters and use PVC gutters. The reason he says is that aluminium gutters are nailed in from the outside of the gutter and as time goes on water flows along the nail into the original wood. Any truth in this?

How much were you quoted for pvc, similar job myself, looking for ballpark figure, thanks

• Advertisement

How much were you quoted for pvc, similar job myself, looking for ballpark figure, thanks

Have 3 quotes so far and they are all in around €1200/€1300 for black. Was also looking to match the front anthracite grey windows so to match that was coming in around €1500. Think I'll just go black.

I also have a small roof at the front which covers the porch and sitting room too so that is extra work there.

Have 3 quotes so far and they are all in around €1200/€1300 for black. Was also looking to match the front anthracite grey windows so to match that was coming in around €1500. Think I'll just go black.

I also have a small roof at the front which covers the porch and sitting room too so that is extra work there.

Thanks, seems a reasonable price, my have to replace soffit boards, so will be expecting to cost me a bit more

Thanks, seems a reasonable price, my have to replace soffit boards, so will be expecting to cost me a bit more

Any damaged wood would be replaced too in the price - now I guess that's here and there but mine seems fine. Surprised as its a 35 year old house.

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

Any damaged wood would be replaced too in the price - now I guess that's here and there but mine seems fine. Surprised as its a 35 year old house.

Would you be able to PM me the company who you are going with, i've to do something similar to mine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭jack of all

Another quick question.

I've seen that problem with the water running along the aluminium nails into the fascia- but I don't think it's common to be fair. My own house is 20+ years and has seamless aluminium gutters. Biggest issue with PVC to my mind is leaking seals and expansion in hot weather. Also I'm not sure how PVC gutters would stand up to a propped ladder (I know you should use a stand-off etc).

• Advertisement

So , I had a visit from the gutter/ Facia lad this morning. He says it’s 90% Aluminium now he installs. Pvc prone to leaks, (eventually) ,unsightly because of jointing.

Got quote for replacement of existing facia soffit & gutters, down pipes (2) in 1300 sq ft bulgalow & installation of facia, soffit, gutter, downpipe in new 25m sq extension.
    All aluminum €2k in vat
    So think I can’t do much better than that!

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

I got a few quotes for a 3 bed semi D and the prices all came in around the 1000 to 1200 mark plus vat. I was actually surprised as theres a fair bit of work in replacing the fascia and soffit. And then the gutters and downpipes.
    I think main benefit a lot of older houses have wood fascia and soffits that are prone to rotting all the new ones fitted are made of PVC and not wood so will last a lifetime and wont need painting and virtually maintenance free

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Mary contrary

Paid 1050 for a 4 bed semi including the porch area in July 2018. D15 area, got the stormline version (deep version of guttering) very happy with it. Quotes from the time varied up to 1500. Do price around. They also cemented in a bit of the front of the roof while they were doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭franman

Paid 1050 for a 4 bed semi including the porch area in July 2018. D15 area, got the stormline version (deep version of guttering) very happy with it. Quotes from the time varied up to 1500. Do price around. They also cemented in a bit of the front of the roof while they were doing it.

Would you mind PMing me the company you used. Looking to get the same done

Was that including vat? Thats a keen price was that complete job fascia soffit drains gutters the works and disposal of all old wood gutters and stuff?

Yes price included everything, we didnt need any timber replaced so just fascia, soffit and gutters, they took away the old down pipes and gutters. Not sure what u mean about drains (if u mean down pipes, then yes it included them too). However we did get extension done by them and I haggle with them so perhaps this is why we got it at that price? They also did our neighbours for the same price so maybe as doing both houses we got better price? No harm to give them a ring and ring a few others too, just make sure like for like as storm line is a more expensive finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

sorry to hijack but just wondering if anyone would know a ballpark for guttering alone for a 3 bed semi? Im due to paint the exterior of the house next week and had planned on painting the guttering too but upon research I would need an undercoat and gloss too plus all the hassle of it. Guttering is 25+ years old anyway so wondering if it would be better just to replace. Its approx 10m of guttering and then 2 x downpipes 5m each.

Also is it possible to get guttering in slate grey, had a look and everywhere seems to be just black, white or brown like on Screwfix.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    sorry to hijack but just wondering if anyone would know a ballpark for guttering alone for a 3 bed semi? Im due to paint the exterior of the house next week and had planned on painting the guttering too but upon research I would need an undercoat and gloss too plus all the hassle of it. Guttering is 25+ years old anyway so wondering if it would be better just to replace. Its approx 10m of guttering and then 2 x downpipes 5m each.

Also is it possible to get guttering in slate grey, had a look and everywhere seems to be just black, white or brown like on Screwfix.

B and Q appear to do it!

Definitly better to replace it . Sure the paint job will need to be done again in a few years and ongoing. No idea how much just guttering alone is but if I would you I would just ask fitter to quote for full job bells and whistles and guttering alone (probably need to do drain pipes too to color match) If soffits etc is 25 years plus I reckon it might be as well just to invest if you could push the budget the few hundred. That area of your house is critical so would definitly be a good investment :)

https://www.diy.com/departments/building-supplies/guttering-and-drainage/grey/_/N-8uuZ1z140ut

Cheers yeah I think the way to go is to replace the guttering and down pips. Must research it further but definitely sounds better than painting them and having to do it again in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Duit

I got a few quotes for a 3 bed semi D and the prices all came in around the 1000 to 1200 mark plus vat. I was actually surprised as theres a fair bit of work in replacing the fascia and soffit. And then the gutters and downpipes.
    I think main benefit a lot of older houses have wood fascia and soffits that are prone to rotting all the new ones fitted are made of PVC and not wood so will last a lifetime and wont need painting and virtually maintenance free

Could you please pm the companies?

• Advertisement

Just an update on my own job, I replaced all guttering and downpipes in the summer. It was 15m of down pipe and 12m of guttering and all the brackets, bends and stopends that were needed.

Total cost of matierals was 187 euro and the company I bought from was Celuplast in Baldoyle who delivered it all for an extra 20 euro. Got it in a dark slate grey which matches the windows. Its tricky to find companies who do grey guttering, most of them are only black or brown. The local handyman fitted it and it took him about five hours. Am very happy with it. Will do the facia and softits next summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Charliefoxtrot

Hi all, didn’t have a clue how much this thing costs. I have been quoted 4,200 to have the lot replaced on our 4 bed semi. Facia, soffits and gutters. We have a porch and playroom at the front of house where the roof comes out and has a gutter around this with something similar at the back where the kitchen comes out and has a gutter running around this as will as the gutters running around the top of the house. There are 4 downpipes at side of house. Two of these are really long that go all the way from the top of the roof to the ground and then there are two shorter ones that run from the top of the parts of the house that stick out at the front and back. Sorry, I’m not a builder or gutter expert so don’t have the building terminology for these. Anyway, does this look like we are being ripped off or does it sound about right?

Read back up the thread, others have paid 1,000-1,500 for their 3 beds so yeah I would say 4,200 is a rip off.

My own replacement guttering, downpipes, etc for a 3 bed came to 187 euro for materials only, its not expensive stuff to purchase. Local handyman then fitted it in a few hours for 100 quid so I got it sorted for under 300 euro. Not sure what the cost of fascias and softits are but it surely cant be so much that it justifies a quote of 4,200.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Read back up the thread, others have paid 1,000-1,500 for their 3 beds so yeah I would say 4,200 is a rip off.

My own replacement guttering, downpipes, etc for a 3 bed came to 187 euro for materials only, its not expensive stuff to purchase. Local handyman then fitted it in a few hours for 100 quid so I got it sorted for under 300 euro. Not sure what the cost of fascias and softits are but it surely cant be so much that it justifies a quote of 4,200.

My bad, the price we recalled it was actually €3400. I got it the wrong way around. I wasn’t dealing with the guy who came and quoted us. I guess this makes the price look a little bit more reasonable and possibly acceptable

My bad, the price we recalled it was actually €3400. I got it the wrong way around. I wasn’t dealing with the guy who came and quoted us. I guess this makes the price look a little bit more reasonable and possibly acceptable

Would advise you to get a few quotes seems expensive to me, granted I dont know how much work is required for your house. We are newbies here too. Ours is a 4 bed house with porch area and it didnt cost that much. Granted our fascia and soffit was timber and the timber wasnt replaced as it was in good condition they just put the PVC fascia and soffit over the existing timber, replaced all the existing gutters, and down pipes.. it would probably cost more if they are replacing the timber before the put on the PVC fascia and soffit. There are different types of guttering so when pricing make sure u price the same type each time as some cost more than others and u might think u are getting g a good price for a cheaper type. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

We had ours replaced 6 years ago for 1100 euro. Large old, 70+years, bungalow, and they took away old metal gutter, downpipes etc. Good workers and a fine job. The old ones were in very poor condition in parts and I was just waiting for part of it to come down in the next storm:)

Would advise you to get a few quotes seems expensive to me, granted I dont know how much work is required for your house. We are newbies here too. Ours is a 4 bed house with porch area and it didnt cost that much. Granted our fascia and soffit was timber and the timber wasnt replaced as it was in good condition they just put the PVC fascia and soffit over the existing timber, replaced all the existing gutters, and down pipes.. it would probably cost more if they are replacing the timber before the put on the PVC fascia and soffit. There are different types of guttering so when pricing make sure u price the same type each time as some cost more than others and u might think u are getting g a good price for a cheaper type. Best of luck.

Thank you for your response.

Definttely get a few more quotes, 3,400 still seems very high when others above have done a 3 bed for between 1,000 and 1,500. Google around for the cost of materials so you can get a sense of whats that costing and then see what labour is on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Hi all,

I'm looking to get a few quotes for getting the fascia/soffits/gutters repaired and possibly replaced in Dublin. I've got one quote so far but it's over 6K! It's an end of terrace townhouse. I've no doubt the company are reliable and would do a great job but the price seems off the wall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

griffdaddy wrote: »
    I've got one quote so far but it's over 6K!
    Maybe they're throwing in free window replacement for that price ;)

Advertisement