26-02-2021, 11:48   #1
flyandrain

New car motor tax

Hi All,

Got a call from the dealer today and informed me that new car will be ready for collection on Monday, but i have not signed any papers yet.

and i do have all details of car for motor tax purposes via phone call.

But when i get on website, it says the motor tax is due from February as follow,

For brand new/imported vehicles, motor tax is charged from the beginning of the month of registration or month of sale (if vehicle changes ownership before first taxing). Arrears become due from the beginning of the month after registration/month of sale.

but i am not getting a car until 1st March. i know it does not cost much for one month road tax. but i have not got my car yet.
Advertisement
26-02-2021, 12:03   #2
Peintre Celebre

Dealership has already registered vehicle for you hence it's due from February. Scam but that's how it is sadly.
26-02-2021, 12:03   #3
For Forks Sake

It's still February, your car is registered.
26-02-2021, 12:11   #4
L-M

https://www.motarviews.ie/ORD/login

Use the above link to log in, then declare your car off the road for 3 months or whatever the minimum period is.

Then on March first proceed to tax it and it will say “you are declaring the vehicle back on the road early and your tax will start from March 1st”

Simples

Edit: your log in is your new Reg number and last 6 digits of chassis
(4) thanks from:
26-02-2021, 12:17   #5
bazz26

The motor tax starts from the beginning of the month in which the car is registered, not when collected. You probably needed to tell the dealer in advance that if the car wasn't ready until March then not to register until March otherwise they won't give it a second thought. There is also the possibility that they just went ahead and registered it to meet their sales targets or incentives for the month.
Advertisement
26-02-2021, 12:19   #6
Boscoirl

Doesnt VAT go back up on Monday? or have they extended it?

I'd prefer to pay the €20 Motor tax than the extra ~€1000 in VAT
26-02-2021, 12:20   #7
bazz26

Good point, yes they probably did the OP a favor so.
26-02-2021, 13:22   #8
flyandrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boscoirl View Post
Doesnt VAT go back up on Monday? or have they extended it?

I'd prefer to pay the €20 Motor tax than the extra ~€1000 in VAT
i have not heard anything VAT yet. i have been waiting for new car for 16 weeks, 2% discount on VAT was initially agreed with dealer.

my query is that extra month if i should pay for that extra month, which has not been used at all?
26-02-2021, 13:23   #9
flyandrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-M View Post
https://www.motarviews.ie/ORD/login

Use the above link to log in, then declare your car off the road for 3 months or whatever the minimum period is.

Then on March first proceed to tax it and it will say “you are declaring the vehicle back on the road early and your tax will start from March 1st”

Simples

Edit: your log in is your new Reg number and last 6 digits of chassis
it is brand new car, so can i also declare that car was on road since January 2021?
Advertisement
26-02-2021, 13:30   #10
bazz26

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyandrain View Post
i have not heard anything VAT yet. i have been waiting for new car for 16 weeks, 2% discount on VAT was initially agreed with dealer.

my query is that extra month if i should pay for that extra month, which has not been used at all?
That is the way motor tax works. If you register the car today then you have to pay the motor tax from the beginning of this month unless you declare the car off the road as outlined already.

The 2% VAT discount was not from the dealer, it was the Government who reduced the VAT from 23% to 21% so the price of the car was adjusted. It reverts back to 23% on March 1st. If you wanted your car registered in March so that you only paid motor tax from March then you would have paid more for the car as the VAT would have increased to 23%.
26-02-2021, 14:26   #11
L-M

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyandrain View Post
it is brand new car, so can i also declare that car was on road since January 2021?
It’s new, presumably just registered this week. Follow my above post and you’ll be fine. It won’t ask you to declare from January because it wasn’t registered then.
26-02-2021, 20:23   #12
newmember?

It doesn't matter if you declare the car off the road or not - you'll still be liable for the tax that's due for the month of February as the car was registered in February.
26-02-2021, 20:27   #13
L-M

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmember? View Post
It doesn't matter if you declare the car off the road or not - you'll still be liable for the tax that's due for the month of February as the car was registered in February.
No, you won’t. That’s the whole point of declaring it off the road.
Thanks from:
26-02-2021, 20:31   #14
newmember?

Quote:
The point of declaring it off the road is to avoid future tax liability. If you declare it in a month while the car isn't taxed you can only declare it to affect the following months, you're still liable for the current month.
26-02-2021, 20:34   #15
Cushtie

Quote:
It was registered to meet month end target.
Happens all the time. Just declare it off the road for February as advised above and tax as normal in March. Newly registered vehicles can be declared off the road up to 10 days after registration. I work in the industry. We do it all the time.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion