Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

Darragh McCullough, page 7. A load of ****e. I know Brexit will hit beef but it'll hit dairy too, and the more that leave suckling and have left suckling make it more profitable (in a perfect world) for those that hold tough

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ABlur

Tig98 wrote: »
    Is suckling dead in the water? More dairy propaganda today in the farming indo, saying the subsidies for suckling should be for conversion to dairy.

Shur we all can't go into dairy. Surely the bubble will burst at some stage? Especially when its being so hyped

According to the Indo all beef farming is dead in the water we should just go and plant trees instead

• Registered Users Posts: 24,369 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Tig98 wrote: »
    Darragh McCullough, page 7. A load of ****e. I know Brexit will hit beef but it'll hit dairy too, and the more that leave suckling and have left suckling make it more profitable (in a perfect world) for those that hold tough

What would ya expect from a pig only a grunt

ABlur wrote: »
    According to the Indo all beef farming is dead in the water we should just go and plant trees instead

That's a classic divide and conquer campaign right there

• Registered Users Posts: 21,143 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I see it's Prof Fitzgerald's idea too. He's telling us the price of beef into the UK will fall in the Summer with the extra regs. He needn't worry on that, the factories are already using that excuse.
    Really need to study the latest research on animal impact on GHG.

On price, lamb was never higher and people still buy it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Making the case for the retention of hedgerows.

https://www.thejournal.ie/shear-force-article-2-5358956-Feb2021/

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Listening to Tom Fouhy, Fermoy last night. He's all tillage no animals. He trims the sides every second year and doesn't touch the top. He made the point that briars are very N hungry and grass farmers spreading fertiliser into the fence, feed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

Water John wrote: »
    Listening to Tom Fouhy, Fermoy last night. He's all tillage no animals. He trims the sides every second year and doesn't touch the top. He made the point that briars are very N hungry and grass farmers spreading fertiliser into the fence, feed them.

Briars do benefit from a trim. If your looking for blackberries the place to find them is a good briary ditch that got a trim the previous autumn.. however hawthorn and white thorn, sallies trees that “escape” are the very foundation of desirable biodiversity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

greysides wrote: »
    Making the case for the retention of hedgerows.

https://www.thejournal.ie/shear-force-article-2-5358956-Feb2021/

a fella near me ripped out loads of it a few years ago, I don't know how you'd do it to the land.

I understand you get a few more feet of productive land and less maintenance but it makes for an awfully barren farm

As I understand it a hedge you can see through isn't attractive to wildlife so I keep my trimming to the mimimum, am also starting to lay some sections as well

• Registered Users Posts: 11,124 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Had a dream last night about walking on a road in the daylight at land we used to rent. There were two small miniture translucent human like figures moving ahead in the greenery at the side of the road. So intrigued I was that I started poking them about with a stick. (You wouldn't do that in the Predator films).
    Anyway then I took out two coins from my pocket and rolled/threw one across the road into a field and the other across the opposite side into the ditch where the figures were.
    Then to my amazement a naked woman emerged (full sized not leprechaun sized) from the ditch. She was very friendly and hot and there was a bucket of water nearby which she put her foot into to try and return herself to her nymph state. It didn't work. Then I woke up.

So this morning I was bringing down the calf feeders to the calf shed and a sparrowhawk was just sitting on a gate about 10 feet away from me in the shed giving zero phucks about my presence. So I left him be and went on and did the milking.

If I was a native American there'd probably be buffalo in the dream and a golden eagle the next morning but alas ..

May go off now and bury a few coins under a grass sod now to appease the little Irish people and keep them on side.

So that's my early and late morning...;) :D

• Advertisement

SMN what did you smoke last night, or did you have some of those mushrooms?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭148multi

This is very interesting, especially the lady, can you describe in more detail (I think she is the key to understanding your dream) 😇

SMN what did you smoke last night, or did you have some of those mushrooms?
    Organic oats bought in Lidl sourced from the UK.
    148multi wrote: »
    This is very interesting, especially the lady, can you describe in more detail (I think she is the key to understanding your dream) ��
    A brunette with long hair. Could have been wearing a linen shirt.

This all could be the effects of liming the calf house. Both myself and the hawk with a dry environment..

Maybe the mods could move it to the nature on my farm thread?

I'm sure the Mods would find a home somewhere for it, in the After Hours forum.

I'm sure the Mods would find a home somewhere for it, in the After Hours forum.

Or the Conspiracy forum? ;)

Only a few more months to go. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭The Rabbi

Is there a "Nutter on the farm"thread?
    Somebody has been sniffing the biochar again.:D

The Rabbi wrote: »
    Is there a "Nutter on the farm"thread?
    Somebody has been sniffing the biochar again.:D

Whist what?

How's that little loader of yours getting on?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,143 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Sky man is here. Our sky dish blew down about 2 weeks ago. You'd miss it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Looking at buying a car/van off the crowd im working for just for using at home were not registered for VAT at home but can we claim it back against the farm later in the year? Thanks in advance.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Looking at buying a car/van off the crowd im working for just for using at home were not registered for VAT at home but can we claim it back against the farm later in the year? Thanks in advance.

I'm no expert, but There's room to offset against farm tax at a percentage every year for a few years , may have to be registered to the farm owner tho. No vat can be reclaimed unless man paying for van is vat registered.

• Advertisement

Jb1989 wrote: »
    I'm no expert, but There's room to offset against farm tax at a percentage every year for a few years , may have to be registered to the farm owner tho. No vat can be reclaimed unless man paying for van is vat registered.

Tis the man that owns the place will be buying it. Must look at offsetting it over a few years.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 11,064 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I think it's the same as machinery, claim it back over 7 years, years 1 - 6 is 15% and 10% the last year ..... if it's for the farm

I see now it's 12.5% over eight years

wrangler wrote: »
    I think it's the same as machinery, claim it back over 7 years, years 1 - 6 is 15% and 10% the last year ..... if it's for the farm

I see now it's 12.5% over eight years

Whats the definition for 'its for the farm" these days? Does part time farming make a difference?

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 11,064 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Whats the definition for 'its for the farm" these days? Does part time farming make a difference?

Well they won't allow you full depreciation if it's seldom used for the farm,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

wrangler wrote: »
    Well they won't allow you full depreciation if it's seldom used for the farm,

Deprecation can be any rate the asset owner wants within reason (Computers are often as high as 50% PA) however the full depreciation expense in the accounts P&L is added back on the form 11 to give an adjusted taxed profit or loss

Capital Allowance is 12.5% or 8 years.
    You adjust this by the % of farm use

So 16k car used 30% for farm = €16k *12.5% = €2,000 x 30% = €600 capital allowance

16k tractor used 100% for farm = €2,000 Capital allowance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Gillespy

America is back! Barely a month in and dropping bombs in Syria. What a relief.

Gillespy wrote: »

A the war machine has revved back up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Gillespy wrote: »

They're painting rainbow flags on the F22's so it's okay and if they get this one in the door https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/transgender-nominee-deflects-inflammatory-questions-gop-senator/story?id=76113650, Biden will be head hunting for the first Trans secreaty of Defense so their war games in the middle East cant be questioned, the ACLU also wants women to have to have to partake in any further drafts into the Army to put the cherry on the cake....
    It's like watching a episode of South park at this stage

Advertisement