16-02-2021, 23:42   #16
burkey2k0

Green
Advertisement
16-02-2021, 23:47   #17
punisher5112

Oh to top it off on that road the lights go red but cars are waiting to clear box, you really need to be watching all sides, front and rear....
(2) thanks from:
16-02-2021, 23:55   #18
Citrus_8

If OP won't mind, I have another related question.

Clonsilla Roundabout going from Corduff straight towards South (Luttrellstown).
A roundabout has no clearly marked lanes. Based on the road width, even though two cars could fit, there seems to be only one lane in the roundabout. In practise often drivers enter the roundabout from both lanes same time and end up not sharing the roundabout space properly. Furthermore, there're no narrows on the road before entering the roundabout - guiding which lane can be used for which exit. It means default rules apply in this roundabout: first lane to left and straight (1st & 2nd exits) while second lane to straight and right (2nd, 3rd and 4th (U-turn) exits). Before entering a roundabout, there're two lanes, while exiting on the 2nd exit, there's only one lane. Who has the right to exit the roundabout on the 2nd exit and who should yield?

It wouldn't be a huge problem if traffic is low but during peak times it can be problematic, dangerous, frustrating and all this could be avoided by simply putting proper signage AND road markings. In this case best would be use 1st lane to the left only and 2nd lane to the 2nd, 3rd and 4th exits. I've noticed that in Ireland this lack of signage and poor (I should say outdated) roads', junctions' and roundabouts' design is very common and seems to be extremely ignored.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg enter.jpg (108.7 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg inside.jpg (337.2 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg exit.jpg (344.8 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by Citrus_8; 17-02-2021 at 01:41.
Thanks from:
17-02-2021, 00:11   #19
punisher5112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citrus_8 View Post
If OP won't mind, I have another related question.

Clonsilla Roundabout going from Corduff straight towards South (Luttrellstown).
A roundabout has no clearly marked lanes. Based on the road width, even though two cars could fit, there seems to be only one lane in the roundabout. In practise often drivers enter the roundabout from both lanes same time and end up not sharing the roundabout space properly. Furthermore, there're no narrows on the road before entering the roundabout - guiding which lane can be used for which exit. It means default rules apply in this roundabout: first lane to left and straight (1st & 2nd exits) while second lane to straight and right (2nd, 3rd and 4th (U-turn) exits). Before entering a roundabout, there're two lanes, while exiting on the 2nd exit, there's only one lane. Who has the right to exit the roundabout on the 2nd exit and who should yield?

It wouldn't be a huge problem if traffic is low but during peak times it can be problematic, dangerous, frustrating and all this could be avoided by simply putting proper signage AND road markings. In this case best would be use 1st lane to the left only and 2nd lane to the 2nd, 3rd and 4th exits. I've noticed that in Ireland this lack of signage and poor (I should say outdated) roads', junctions' and roundabouts' design is very common and seems to be extremely ignored.
So what goes here is default....

Left lane is for 1st and 2nd exit, and anything past 12 o'clock is lane 2 so 3rd or 4th.
17-02-2021, 01:42   #20
punisher5112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citrus_8 View Post
That wasn't my question I asked who has the right to exit the roundabout if cars from 1st and 2nd lane enter the roundabout at the same time and leave the roundabout at the same time, but past roundabout there's only 1 lane while there're 2 lanes entering the roundabout. It means that one of the drivers need to yield while exiting. Who has the right to go and who should yield?
The left lane would as they are in correct lane unless signed or painted otherwise.
Advertisement
17-02-2021, 01:46   #21
Citrus_8

Quote:
Originally Posted by punisher5112 View Post
The left lane would as they are in correct lane unless signed or painted otherwise.
Yeah, got that now. Sorry, I just needed to read your answer again to pick up the idea It's pity there are so many drivers who don't consider this and just assuming that if there're two lanes to enter a roundabout, there will also be 2 lanes past a roundabout which suggests that a 2nd lane can also be used for 2nd exit. But that's not the case in this example due to less lanes after the roundabout... Personally to me it's confusing as the lack of signage doesn't give me a comfort of knowing what to expect, how to plan and react accordingly way in advance.
17-02-2021, 09:33   #22
TaurenDruid

Yeah, left lane there has priority for 2nd exit, but definitely an accident waiting to happen if people aren't familiar with the layout, that could be easily solved with signage/markings. I mean, proper arrows are so uncommon in Dublin, when I've been driving around the likes of Killarney and Galway the lane markings at roundabouts have really stood out to me.
Thanks from:
19-02-2021, 09:53   #23
Patrick2010

For Amiens street it has to be green car but you can see from street view that cars in the purple cars lane will go straight for the yellow x as traffic in the bus lane will stop them entering the left lane ahead.

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/Ami...4!4d-6.2516227
19-02-2021, 11:26   #24
TaurenDruid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick2010 View Post
For Amiens street it has to be green car but you can see from street view that cars in the purple cars lane will go straight for the yellow x as traffic in the bus lane will stop them entering the left lane ahead.

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/Ami...4!4d-6.2516227
The bus lane ends at the start of the yellow box; there is an available lane for cars in the purple car's lane to advance in to.
Advertisement
19-02-2021, 13:22   #25
Patrick2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurenDruid View Post
The bus lane ends at the start of the yellow box; there is an available lane for cars in the purple car's lane to advance in to.
Purple car is then competing with traffic in the bus lane to its left for that lane, who has right of way there?

It could be argued that as there are 3 lanes on each side of the yellow cars should stay in their lane meaning green car going into the far bus lane.

If not then you've got 3 lanes competing for two lanes.
Thanks from:
19-02-2021, 13:48   #26
TaurenDruid

Quote:
Purple car is then competing with traffic in the bus lane to its left for that lane, who has right of way there?

It could be argued that as there are 3 lanes on each side of the yellow cars should stay in their lane meaning green car going into the far bus lane.

Yep. And the last thing you want in a road design is people arguing over what should be really, really obvious.
Thanks from:
25-02-2021, 14:45   #27
Spook_ie

Quote:

The bus lane has a yield line across it
Thanks from:
26-02-2021, 11:06   #28
Billgirlylegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurenDruid View Post
Traffic on Memorial Road, heading southbound. "Level 5" restrictions - so, a lot of cars. Traffic stopped at the junction, as per the attached image, as the lights further on are red and there's traffic back to the far side of the junction.

Lights change to green, traffic moves away and the cars stopped behind the junction box can now clear it. Of the cars stopped behind the junction box, who has right of way to move to the yellow X?
It's not the orange car anyway.
Green (right lane to right lane)
Purple (left lane to left lane ) - orange follows, or yields to green car if he wants to travel in right lane
When / If there is a bus in the bus lane - it yields to purple ( or yields to green car if he wants to travel in right lane)

Logical.
Simple.
26-02-2021, 14:22   #29
$hifty

It's a terrible layout, in fairness. Par for the course around that neck of the woods though. The lane markings around the city centre are absolutely atrocious, for the most part. I actually have been meaning to ask what others think of the junction beside Busáras/Customs House when heading Northbound, as the amount of near-misses I've seen here is staggering.

So, 3 lanes (ABC) turns into into 4 (1234) when you get around the corner.

To my mind:
A = 1
B = 2 OR 3
C = 4

The amount of times I've seen A going into 2 or 3 is ridiculous.
Or C going into 2 is another mad move. I'd be interested to hear others' thoughts and opinions, though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Custom House.JPG (108.2 KB, 55 views)
Thanks from:
26-02-2021, 14:32   #30
Citrus_8

Quote:
Originally Posted by $hifty View Post
It's a terrible layout, in fairness. Par for the course around that neck of the woods though. The lane markings around the city centre are absolutely atrocious, for the most part. I actually have been meaning to ask what others think of the junction beside Busáras/Customs House when heading Northbound, as the amount of near-misses I've seen here is staggering.

So, 3 lanes (ABC) turns into into 4 (1234) when you get around the corner.

To my mind:
A = 1
B = 2 OR 3
C = 4

The amount of times I've seen A going into 2 or 3 is ridiculous.
Or C going into 2 is another mad move. I'd be interested to hear others' thoughts and opinions, though.
Great example of lack of signage or poor signage in Dublin, and also drivers' whether ignorance, lack of driving experience or lack of logical thinking before they make a maneuver. Plenty of examples such this in Dublin and across Ireland.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion