Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

At what point do you replace your tyres?

• 25-02-2021 2:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭

At what point do you replace yours? Do you wait until minimum depth or replace before?

Mr. Lemon has his car 2 1/2 years, he does about 16,000 km a year. The front tyres have been replaced but the back ones are original and he is wondering if they need to be replaced now.

Should they be lasting that long? It seems very long to get out of tyres so are we missing something? The car is standard FWD btw.

The nearside outer rim is approaching minimum depth but still a bit to go. The other measurements are all ok. Are those hairline cracks of any concern?

Nearside outer rim: 3 mm
    Nearside inner rim: 5 mm

Farside outer rim: 4 mm
    Farside middle rim: 5 mm
    Farside inner rim: 5 mm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭TK Lemon

Pictures here;

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Plenty of life left in those however you can see cracking/grazing in the rubber where it has hardened but its minimal and wont effect the tyres anything noticeable. Swap the rear tyres to the front and fronts to the rear and drive on. If the car is only 2/5 yrs old, then you can change them before its NCT is due next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Yeah a bit of perishing between the treads.

I wouldn't be changing them though for either wear or perishing. Definitely ok for another while. The shoulders generally wear quicker but as a general rule they look ok IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

When you can see the wire. :rolleyes:

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

TK Lemon wrote: »
    At what point do you replace yours? Do you wait until minimum depth or replace before?

Mr. Lemon has his car 2 1/2 years, he does about 16,000 km a year. The front tyres have been replaced but the back ones are original and he is wondering if they need to be replaced now.

Should they be lasting that long? It seems very long to get out of tyres so are we missing something? The car is standard FWD btw.

The nearside outer rim is approaching minimum depth but still a bit to go. The other measurements are all ok. Are those hairline cracks of any concern?

Nearside outer rim: 3 mm

Farside outer rim: 4 mm
    Farside middle rim: 5 mm
    Farside inner rim: 5 mm

They look grand. Keep an eye on the cracking.

I know of a set of pirellis that cracked badly at 18 months from new on a new passat.
    One blew out. Both original tyres that were still on the car were replaced free by pirelli

• Advertisement

When you can see the wire. :rolleyes:

Mr Money Bags here! It's only when the alloy is scraping on the road that you really want to start considering it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

Later than I should, sooner than getting caught with bald tire haha.
    Once they are around the legal limit off them come, or if they're getting a bit iffy on bad roads and pretty much worn through anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Mr Money Bags here! It's only when the alloy is scraping on the road that you really want to start considering it.

Posh fecker with alloys.

I wait for the pressure to go in them and then i fill the tyre with grass to get a few more weeks out of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,656 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Only when I find myself in a ditch :D

Advertisement