Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Calf price chitchat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,156 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

What would Norwegian red x Friesian bull calves be worth? First time I have a few of them this year.

Saw one online in castleisland today on line. He was 25+ days old I think. Looked a fine big long calf but a bit narrow. I think he made 60 euro.

Friesians were sold in bunches of 4-6, most lots varied from 12-20 days, 1-2 good ones 1-2 middling ones and two young ones. Selling around the 45 euro mart. Go into any mart on LSL, and open up mart and go into cathelog. On the day of the mart you can click on and see the actual sale and calves.

HE and AA were crazy over 14 days 300 euro

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 11 4ever

Should all calves being sold online be weighed?

Brought home a blwh bull today who cost 275 but really wasn't worth that. He looked decent in the camera but he's well handy in real life. I find it very difficult to judge them on the camera size wise

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Niallers87

What would Norwegian red x Friesian bull calves be worth? First time I have a few of them this year.

Actually saw a bunch of 5 or 6 of them coming into the ring in kilmallock and they made about 80 euros i think

4ever wrote: »

Brought home a blwh bull today who cost 275 but really wasn't worth that. He looked decent in the camera but he's well handy in real life. I find it very difficult to judge them on the camera size wise

Phone camera is hard to judge calves with. Labtop or tablet is better

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 11 4ever

Phone camera is hard to judge calves with. Labtop or tablet is better

Bought on a laptop. 10kgs is a big difference in a calf and difficult to spot on the cameras. They should just be weighed and that would remove doubts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭alps

How accurate are mart scales? For larger cattle, is it + or - 10kg?...would want to be bang on for calves..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I'm in the middle of a tb test here (reading on fri), I got cards today for calves under 6wks old, that I didn't test, I put them numbers into the agfood eligibility thing, and its saying I can move them now, which I didn't think I could during a tb test? Is that likely to change between now and like friday?

alps wrote: »
    How accurate are mart scales? For larger cattle, is it + or - 10kg?...would want to be bang on for calves..

You would want a special scales for calves. Sensetivity is 5 or 10 kgs on most mart scales. It would need to be accurate to 0.5 kgs

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

I see Carnaross mart is weighing calves, they are using the scales they use to weigh the lambs

• Registered Users Posts: 29,079 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Timmaay wrote: »
    I'm in the middle of a tb test here (reading on fri), I got cards today for calves under 6wks old, that I didn't test, I put them numbers into the agfood eligibility thing, and its saying I can move them now, which I didn't think I could during a tb test? Is that likely to change between now and like friday?

If they weren't tested and you are currently clear work away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

whelan2 wrote: »
    If they weren't tested and you are currently clear work away

I'd say he'd have to wait till test read on fri. If he goes down and they moved twud be a **** show

Mooooo wrote: »
    I'd say he'd have to wait till test read on fri. If he goes down and they moved twud be a **** show

No if they weren't tested it wont matter. I did it last year. Between testing and reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭farisfat

No if they weren't tested it wont matter. I did it last year. Between testing and reading.

All animals in your herd the day of the test have to be tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,206 ✭✭✭tanko

farisfat wrote: »
    All animals in your herd the day of the test have to be tested.

Are you sure, i thought if they're under six weeks old testing is optional?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

See there today in fermoy the calf weight is up with its price.
    Must be the sheep marts are better set up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

tanko wrote: »
    Are you sure, i thought if they're under six weeks old testing is optional?

It is but as far as I was told anyway, if in the middle of the test no animal can leave the herd?

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭RedPeppers

4ever wrote: »

Can’t see why the calf weight wouldn’t be displayed? Sold fr bulls last week, weights up for buyer to see

• Registered Users Posts: 11,133 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    I see Carnaross mart is weighing calves, they are using the scales they use to weigh the lambs
    I stand corrected but I think they are only showing the weights for FR bull calves, well that was the case last week. It's handy considering they (Viastar) are buying FR bull calves for shipping.

It is but as far as I was told anyway, if in the middle of the test no animal can leave the herd?
    I always thought the same unless it died and went on the knackery lorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Base price wrote: »
    I stand corrected but I think they are only showing the weights for FR bull calves, well that was the case last week. It's handy considering they (Viastar) are buying FR bull calves for shipping.

I only noticed it on the FR alright, but I looked back on the screen shot I put up here two weeks ago for the SPx heifer that made over €400 and I see they have the weight up for her, but they might not have it up for every calf. I did notice on Monday they didn't have it up for the runners which I that would have been handy.

• Advertisement

Only if it was tested and is missing for the reading. A couple of years ago I had a cow did the splits and another the vet put down with a heart condition between testing and reading. I had to write a letter to the department explaining on animal welfare reasons they were put down.

Only if it was tested and is missing for the reading. A couple of years ago I had a cow did the splits and another the vet put down with a heart condition between testing and reading. I had to write a letter to the department explaining on animal welfare reasons they were put down.

Had the same here last year, a cow dropped dead between the test and reading, knackery took the cow away, my vet didn't really care, and I heard nothing from the department. But yeh I think I'll wait, I don't want to like sell them and suddenly the permit won't go through.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭White Clover

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    See there today in fermoy the calf weight is up with its price.
    Must be the sheep marts are better set up for it.

Fermoy is a very progressive mart in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

True, its out on its own compared to the rest of the Cork Marts.
    Sean is easily the best manager(for buyer & seller) & John is a very fair auctioneer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I find the weight brilliant. Not going to pretend I'm a good judge of stock so it's really interesting to see the weights with the calfs sold.

Ok got an answer off a department vet today, yep this is the official line, from start of the tb test until the tb reading is over no animals should enter or exit your herd, if your within test and herd isn't restricted you'll still be able to generate permits on agfood during this time however ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭castletrader

einn32 wrote: »
    70€ in the yard for handy FR bulls at two weeks.
    Calves not even able to make €5 in Carnew today . fr bulls

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭148multi

Calves not even able to make €5 in Carnew today . fr bulls

3 handy fr bulls for a€5 in carrigallen today, fr bulls averaging 45-50

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭straight

Is there boats going or what?

• Advertisement

straight wrote: »
    Is there boats going or what?
    Lorries went out today.

Advertisement