Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radiator TRV issues

Options
  • 23-02-2021 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Installed TRV controllers on 6 radiators before winter. Think it might be a big mistake. The radiators now need to be set at minimum 4( of 5 ) to heat at all. and the main radiator in living room ( double rad.) heats up at 5 but after 1 - 1 1/2 hrs.( even in the coldest recent weather) the back stays just lukewarm and the front goes cold...
    Had the heating guys back twice since, but after much head scratching, came to the conclusion that they didn't know what the problem was. The rads themselves used always work perfectly prior to the TRVs but I wanted to be able to control them a bit better. Is it an example of " if they're not broke don't fix them" What are my options? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭John.G

I have had TRVs for years and they have worked extremely well, I only renewed most of them last summer after ~ 10 years as the plastic actuators were getting a bit brittle, I replaced them with a EPH brand. The settings, like most, are from 0 to 5.
    0=0C,*=7C(frost protectin),1=12C,2=16C,3=20C,4=24Cand5=28C, I generally find that a setting of ~ 2.5 will give me a room temp of 20/22C.

Ensure the actuators are attached properly, ie before attaching, turn the actuator fully anticlockwise to setting 5 (or whatever) then screw the knurled nut firmly home (but no need to overtighten), if you don't do this then you are trying to push in the TRV pin by tightening the nut which is incorrect but of course this should the lead to more (incorrect) flow through the rad.

If you remove the actuators you should be able to push the actuating in about 5MM (use the reversed handle of a hammer), the pin should then spring back out to its fully opened position.

What make of TRV have you installed?, are they bi directional (two arrows on the valve body) and are they attached to the flow or return and vertically or horizontally?

Should add that mine are just the mechanical type and not smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Bertm2

Thanks for that. I'll try that out and see....

Advertisement