Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas boiler versus oil boiler

Options
  • 23-02-2021 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Trying to decide what to do . have had a gas boiler last 12 years and has given alot of bother and takes alot of time to get parts to fix. Now its gone and trying to decide will we go with oil boiler versus the gas? Costs roughly €2700 a year to heat house and water with the gas at present and think oil may be cheper. Has anyone changed to oil from gas and what are the results. Concidered the air to water but for size of house need probably 2 pumps. Any help TIA.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

shovtco wrote: »
    Trying to decide what to do . have had a gas boiler last 12 years and has given alot of bother and takes alot of time to get parts to fix. Now its gone and trying to decide will we go with oil boiler versus the gas? Costs roughly €2700 a year to heat house and water with the gas at present and think oil may be cheper. Has anyone changed to oil from gas and what are the results. Concidered the air to water but for size of house need probably 2 pumps. Any help TIA.

MOD NOTE. Moved this to its own thread.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

What size is the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 shovtco

beauf wrote: »
    What size is the house.

3000 sq feet over 3 story

How old is the house and the windows and installation. I'm guessing old if you're you're replacing the boiler. Oil is usually more expensive than gas. But if it's an old house a lot of your costs may be due to heatv escaping.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭John.G

Gas just now is ~ 20% more expensive than oil but that is because of the pandemic IMO, they are generally close enough with gas maybe slightly cheaper during normal times.

While I have completely trouble free oil (boiler) I would be reluctant to change from gas to oil, there must be some pretty reliable gas boilers out there with plenty of spares available like Ideal, Vokera etc.

You can get oil/heat pump hybrids from the likes of Grant or I think you can buy the oil "half" and install the heat pump later if desired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Is the current gas installation natural gas or LPG bulk tank on site?

If the latter, the current LPG cost could be 50% more expensive than oil. But oil is particularly cheap at present and that may not last.

I assumed main gas my mistake.

So did I, if it is LPG then even in normal times it is ~ 50% more expensive so I would certainly replace it with oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Cerco

Practical advantage of gas for me is the constant supply. No need to worry about oil deliveries, checking tank level . Also you have no fear of your fuel being siphoned off. No oil smells.....even if gas is slightly dearer at the moment for me it is worth it.
    Might rethink if it was lpg though.

LPG: some estates have a central supply with metered usage.

My housing estate built in 1970, (I moved in, 1972) had a central kerosene supply with metered supply but as quite a lot of people c/o when N.gas became available, the central tank fell by the way side. I still have the meter on a outside wall, I meant to reinstall it to my own bulk tank but never got round to it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement