Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

specific tool - 11/16 open ended spanner

• 24-02-2021 1:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭

I need an opened 11/16" spanner, but it can only be 5mm (0.197") thick as it has to go into a narrow slot.
    Any hand tool purchasing experts out there know where to source one or am I going to have to grind one down?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭cletus

Have a look for "cone spanners" on the usual sites. They are for working on the cup and cone bearings on bicycle wheels, so are much thinner than normal spanners

*Edited to add* you might struggle to get an imperial cone spanner over here, but 18mm are readily available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,104 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You'd have this sorted in about 30 seconds with a grinder. Don't wast anymore time on it and go grind the side face down a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭SVI40

Try Caulfields of Safety Direct. They generally have a good selection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I checked my own cone spanners and the 17mm measures at approx. 17.3mm on my dial calliper, which is pretty close to 11/16th - a bit of draw filing would bring it to size pretty quick. Halfords have these for about €11 for a pair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Plan B- Bahco do a slim-jaw version of their popular adjustable wrench. The jaws measure 4.5mm thick.

• Advertisement
Advertisement