Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What lens to use with an EOS RP for tripod based videos

Options
  • 06-02-2021 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭

So got the EOS RP delivers by Conns camera during the week, great service.
    I have
    50mm.......1:1.8 II
    EF 16-35 1:2.8 L II USM
    EF 28-80 1:3.5-5.6

The set up will be tripod and subject sitting at table.
    I suspect I need to use manual focus as otherwise the autofocus noise may be heard on the track, I have a wired mic so maybe not.

So just wonder what is the best lens to use?
    Thanks as always

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

As always, depends.

Wide = unflattering so typically you want to think somewhat like portrait photos. I'd be inclined to say shoot at 80mm. Question is, are you shooting 4K? If so its a 1.75x crop so then you need to shoot around 45mm for the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Thanks,
    not 4k, was aware of that limitation before I bought it so will go at 1080
    its just for something like this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saojnBSBUuk

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If it were me:

Shoot long (80-100mm), wont work in smaller spaces, then step down the DoF from that example so you get some background separation. Ideally have the subject and table a couple meters from whats behind so you can get objects and the person in focus but not too much more. Also improves light by not being closed way down.

ED E wrote: »
    If it were me:

Shoot long (80-100mm), wont work in smaller spaces, then step down the DoF from that example so you get some background separation. Ideally have the subject and table a couple meters from whats behind so you can get objects and the person in focus but not too much more. Also improves light by not being closed way down.

Yep, get the idea, so what sort of lens would you suggest for doing it at 100mm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

I have
    50mm.......1:1.8 II
    EF 16-35 1:2.8 L II USM
    EF 28-80 1:3.5-5.6

The set up will be tripod and subject sitting at table.
    I suspect I need to use manual focus as otherwise the autofocus noise may be heard on the track, I have a wired mic so maybe not.

So just wonder what is the best lens to use?

Assuming you're going for what is essentially a "talking portrait" you shouldn't really use anything less than a 50mm lens, and the (full frame) classic recommendation is 80mm. This gives the most flattering look to the subject, as the shorter focal lengths tend to exaggerate the size of the nose and shrink the ears. If you're going for a more complex composition than a full frontal portrait, then that changes all the parameters.

As for auto or manual focus. Again, if it's a relatively static composition, manual is the only way to do it! The problem/risk with autofocus isn't the noise (should not be detectable at all when using an off-camera mic) but that odd, brief changes in the light can make the camera believe it needs to refocus - a fleeting shadow across the face, an insect flying in front of the subject, the covering their eyes, or moving too far/fast out of the autofocus circle ... On the other hand, if you're moving the camera around the subject for any reason, or zooming in at any point, then autofocus would probably be better on than off - unless you're great at focus-pulling!

• Advertisement

:eek: Oof ... not sure I'd spend that much, unless you've got all your sound & light sorted out and still have money to spare!

Am on the road today (well, parked up for the night now! :pac: ) so will come back to this tomorrow or Tuesday.

OK, have had a chance to look at your "template" video, and also look into the EOS RP a bit more.

The first thing I'd say is, reading the seemingly unanimous verdict of reviewers, you'd be mad to spend several hundred Euros on an RF lens when the camera can't make full use of it. I haven't delved into it deeply enough to spot any excessive nerdiness, but a brief scan of several reviews gives the RP a consistent thumbs down for video. Now chances are it'll be "good enough" for your purposes (did you post about them somewhere else? I seem to remember a query, but can't find it in your other posts ...?) and if so, the lenses you've got will not be a problem.

The second point is that I would call the video you posted a "product presentation" rather than an interview. That changes everything as far as the choice of lenses is concerned. You can ignore all of the previous advice re the "portrait" style, as wider lenses/shorter focal lengths won't cause the kind of facial distortion I mentioned if the subject is off to one side, and occupies less than a third of the frame. Instead, you'll need a lens that gives you a suitable angle of view for the room you're shooting in (so probably tending towards "wide"), coupled with an aperture that gives you a depth of field that's "just enough" for the subject and their props, but not enough to have the background pin-sharp. The sample video is definitely a candidate for manual focus.

I'd strongly recommend that you mess around with the lenses you already have before deciding to buy a new one. If you're going to be shooting in the same location every time, do some trials there at the time of day you're most likely to be filming: this'll help you spot any weird lighting issues that you might need to take account of (ditto for sound). If you can't get to the location, or if you're going to be moving from place to place, then set up a variety of studio arrangements so that, again, you can understand where significant problems are likely to arise (almost always stuff in the background!)

Thanks, yes, the RF is not the best video but availability was an issue and with my recent adverse PSA numbers I don't have time to be waiting around for delivery.

I will take you points on board, thank you: it will be all in the dining room so will do some testing.

I got a remote mike so plenty room to manoeuvre.
    Thanks again and safe rambling :)

it will be all in the dining room so will do some testing.

In that case, even though you'll be shooting video, look at the scene with a still photographer's eye. The things to watch out for will be distracting objects in the background (unfortunate arrangement of book titles, pot plants growing out of the head, etc :pac: ); and excessively sharp/pronounced shadows on the wall behind the subject from window or artificial lighting.

Depending on the size of the room, and how much of it you want to include in the composition, you're probably going to be working in the 35-50mm range. Lighting will be more critical in this environment than you might think - remember that, when shooting video, you're effectively limited to an "aperture priority" mode, but the aperture the light demands might not match the depth of field you need.

• Advertisement

Thank, was also thinking that, if buying a lens, I would get an EF lens as opposed to a RP lens as I have the adaptor and it would work with my normal DSLR.
    Lots to think about!

So first few videos done, boss very happy with them.
    Looking for ideas fo editing software, preferably for a MAC.
    Have looked at W10 and shotcut...
    will need to add a water mark and some music as well as some front and back stills.
    Thanks as always

• Registered Users Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Since you’re on a Mac, iMovie will do everything you need for this and is free (should already be installed - if not you can download it from the App Store)

Since you’re on a Mac, iMovie will do everything you need for this and is free (should already be installed - if not you can download it from the App Store)

Have 10.1.14but no sign of a water mark

• Registered Users Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Have 10.1.14but no sign of a water mark

You might find a better tutorial, because the presentation quality of this one isn’t great, but here’s the basics: https://youtu.be/46g7VPtBMwU

Advertisement