Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flemish Giant rabbit as house pet

• 21-02-2021 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm considering getting a Flemish Giant rabbit as a companion pet in the next few months. I had two regular rabbits years ago, and kept them as indoor rabbits. I was wondering can anyone tell me a little bit about what the Flemish giants are like as pets compared to smaller rabbits. I know it will need a lot more space and food!

My thoughts would be to keep it as an indoor rabbit, allowing it free run in the back garden with supervision most days (and probably building a run too so it can be outside unsupervised).

Other than being much bigger, and eating a lot more, is there any other major concerns or things to know about them? Do males or females make better pets? What would be the life expectancy of Flemish Giants? And can anyone recommend a breeder to get one from? (I've found a few on donedeal but have yet to contact any). I'm based in the midlands, but happy to go further if needed to get from a reputable breeder.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Rabbits generally make better pets once they are neutered, unneutered rabbits tend to be more hormonal and can kick off fairly easy (nips/kicks) compared to being neutered.

They generally say, the larger the breed of rabbit, the more docile they tend to be. I'm not sure how true this is, ultimately it comes down to the personality of the individual. I personally prefer male rabbits to female rabbits.

Keep in mind you can't really let it outside in contact with grass unless you have them vaccinated, especially if you are somewhere that the likes of wild hares may be found. Myxomatosis exists in Ireland and can be fatal to pet rabbits.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭nimrod86

VonVix wrote: »
    Rabbits generally make better pets once they are neutered, unneutered rabbits tend to be more hormonal and can kick off fairly easy (nips/kicks) compared to being neutered.

They generally say, the larger the breed of rabbit, the more docile they tend to be. I'm not sure how true this is, ultimately it comes down to the personality of the individual. I personally prefer male rabbits to female rabbits.

Keep in mind you can't really let it outside in contact with grass unless you have them vaccinated, especially if you are somewhere that the likes of wild hares may be found. Myxomatosis exists in Ireland and can be fatal to pet rabbits.

Thanks, I got my rabbits neutered years ago, and would plan on doing the same again with a giant. Docile would suit me for a house pet, as constant energy indoors wouldn't be ideal!

Can I ask for what reason you prefer males to females? Been a long time now since I had rabbits, but is there a major difference in personality/temperament between the sexes?

Yeah, I'd plan to get it vaccinated, My back garden very well fenced in and currently is an all concrete yard (I plan on putting in a corner of grass during the summer) so there isn't any way it would come in contact with wild rabbits, but will vaccinate it to be safe!

nimrod86 wrote: »
    Thanks, I got my rabbits neutered years ago, and would plan on doing the same again with a giant. Docile would suit me for a house pet, as constant energy indoors wouldn't be ideal!

Can I ask for what reason you prefer males to females? Been a long time now since I had rabbits, but is there a major difference in personality/temperament between the sexes?

Yeah, I'd plan to get it vaccinated, My back garden very well fenced in and currently is an all concrete yard (I plan on putting in a corner of grass during the summer) so there isn't any way it would come in contact with wild rabbits, but will vaccinate it to be safe!
    I find males a bit softer/affectionate/lazy in temperament, I find the females have a bit more of an attitude and can be more inclined to guard their space. They're also more prone to digging behaviours.

I don't have much to back up this other than my personal experiences, so do keep that in mind. Additionally, one of my all time favourite rabbits I have ever worked with is a female!

I find males a bit softer/affectionate/lazy in temperament, I find the females have a bit more of an attitude and can be more inclined to guard their space. They're also more prone to digging behaviours.

I don't have much to back up this other than my personal experiences, so do keep that in mind. Additionally, one of my all time favourite rabbits I have ever worked with is a female!

I can relate well to lazy, so that sounds good! I know it can be luck of the draw personality wise, but I think I'll chance it! Thanks for all your advice :)

One last question, I know regular rabbits are generally advised to be adopted in pairs, but do you know how the giants do when adopted on their own? Would it be more okay when keeping them as an indoor pet with people moving about the house and interacting with them often?

I can relate well to lazy, so that sounds good! I know it can be luck of the draw personality wise, but I think I'll chance it! Thanks for all your advice :)

One last question, I know regular rabbits are generally advised to be adopted in pairs, but do you know how the giants do when adopted on their own? Would it be more okay when keeping them as an indoor pet with people moving about the house and interacting with them often?

I think rabbits advised to be kept in pairs largely from people who keep them as outdoor pets where they will experience a lot more time away from people. Yes, rabbits are social with their own kind, but the dynamics between the sexes can make things more complicated.

For example, you should never have two males (bucks) together, they will fight once they reach sexual maturity, there's no real getting away from it, neutering won't help either. A neutered male and female pair (buck and doe) tend to get along the best, but if you're getting a rabbit young, it's not realistic having them neutered at a super young age and you don't want babies either. Two females (does) together is the most common successful pairing, but the chance of fallout is higher if left unneutered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭rainemac

We have a flemish giant, we got him last May at a couple of months old. He was indoors and out in a run during the day, but went out fulltime before the winter as with the colder weather we had to decide indoors or outdoors as it would affect his coat so chose outdoors as we felt he'd have more quality of life, he wasn't freeroam indoors but had a room, daughters playroom, he loves the outdoors though. He has been neutered and is litterbox trained.
    He has a genetic issue with sore hocks. We think we have it under control now but it can be a problem and I've no idea if you can figure out in advance of any rabbit/flemish would be genetically predisposed to it.
    Vet said a 2nd rabbit would add nothing and they could end up fighting, I've read loads about bonded pairs falling out with each other and one killing the other so I'm happy enough to not risk it.

rainemac wrote: »
    We have a flemish giant, we got him last May at a couple of months old. He was indoors and out in a run during the day, but went out fulltime before the winter as with the colder weather we had to decide indoors or outdoors as it would affect his coat so chose outdoors as we felt he'd have more quality of life, he wasn't freeroam indoors but had a room, daughters playroom, he loves the outdoors though. He has been neutered and is litterbox trained.
    He has a genetic issue with sore hocks. We think we have it under control now but it can be a problem and I've no idea if you can figure out in advance of any rabbit/flemish would be genetically predisposed to it.
    Vet said a 2nd rabbit would add nothing and they could end up fighting, I've read loads about bonded pairs falling out with each other and one killing the other so I'm happy enough to not risk it.

Thanks for the reply! I was worried about the idea of getting one on its own, but I don't really have the space to keep two separate, especially if they didn't get along. How do you find yours copes on its own? Are they fairly independent?

The reason I ask is I work 12 hour shifts 3 or 4 days a week, so I'm out of the house a fair bit, but then I'm also home all the other time. Big decider on whether I get a pet or not is if it would be fair on the animal with me being out up to 14hrs a day 3 or 4 days a week. Of course it would be played with a fussed over all the time when I am home!

Thanks for the reply! I was worried about the idea of getting one on its own, but I don't really have the space to keep two separate, especially if they didn't get along. How do you find yours copes on its own? Are they fairly independent?

The reason I ask is I work 12 hour shifts 3 or 4 days a week, so I'm out of the house a fair bit, but then I'm also home all the other time. Big decider on whether I get a pet or not is if it would be fair on the animal with me being out up to 14hrs a day 3 or 4 days a week. Of course it would be played with a fussed over all the time when I am home!

What kind of space would they be kept in while you're at work? They are up there with your cats and dogs in term of enrichment and exercise needs.

What kind of space would they be kept in while you're at work? They are up there with your cats and dogs in term of enrichment and exercise needs.

That's something I still need to figure out before I pull the trigger. I was thinking it could stay in the kitchen free roaming while I work if I rabbit proof it, but I'd be nervous about my table and chair legs being chewed. Other option is to build a large run in the back garden, but at the moment the entire back garden is concrete from the previous owners. My thinking is to break up a section of it and put down grass to build a large run on. But as I said, I wouldn't dream of getting one until I have all these in place or planned out at the least!

Our fella has faired very well outdoors over the winter, I would like to introduce company but too scared they will fight and wouldn't have space for another flemish, would be a normal sized rabbit, which you could do? He is still as friendly as ever thankfully.
    Your paved area would be fine to use while at work, maybe lift a couple so he/she could dig underneath assuming there's soil, build a hutch/ramp or something but honestly they are not up there with a dog. We have 2 dogs and they are much much more needy.

• Advertisement

Our fella has faired very well outdoors over the winter, I would like to introduce company but too scared they will fight and wouldn't have space for another flemish, would be a normal sized rabbit, which you could do? He is still as friendly as ever thankfully.
    Your paved area would be fine to use while at work, maybe lift a couple so he/she could dig underneath assuming there's soil, build a hutch/ramp or something but honestly they are not up there with a dog. We have 2 dogs and they are much much more needy.

What kind of space do you give yours outdoors? Do you let it roam the garden freely or did you build it a run and hutch? Glad to hear they're less needy than a dog, cause as much as I want one, I won't do it if it would be unfair on the rabbit!

We're rural with a large garden so we built a hutch, inside the run. Our fella was v lazy over the winter, we'd open the door for him but he'd stay in the hutch and not bother coming out much when it was v cold. I'll try to attach pictures of his space.
    I think they would be an ideal pet for someone working but I do think they should have access to the outdoors for enrichment.

Not up for judgement or criticisms on the hutch/run. Rabbit is happy.

Hutch

This is his indoor space, he also has space under that area, under the ramp, we have wire under the grass with a thick layer of the sawdust &sand on top

We're rural with a large garden so we built a hutch, inside the run. Our fella was v lazy over the winter, we'd open the door for him but he'd stay in the hutch and not bother coming out much when it was v cold. I'll try to attach pictures of his space.
    I think they would be an ideal pet for someone working but I do think they should have access to the outdoors for enrichment.

Wow! That's a brilliant setup! I'm in a housing estate so my garden isn't all that big though. I could probably make the Hutch and caged run in the corner, and when I'm home let the bunny roam the garden or house.

Advertisement