Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car on fire - insurance

• 09-02-2021 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi guys, quick question, my car burnt out yesterday on the side of the road.. i smelled smoke inside the next thing the whole front of the car went up in flames, i'd imagine it was some kind of an electrical failure.

Now i am stuck without a car since I only had fire and theft insurance not fully comp. Does anyone have any idea how long does it take for an insurance company to come back in regard settlement?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,353 ✭✭✭✭endacl

You had whatnow and theft...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

We don't even know who your insurer is OP.
    The only answer is ring your insurer and ask them your questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,547 ✭✭✭✭L1011

endacl wrote: »
    You had whatnow and theft...?

I presume they mean there is no cover for a hire car.

It'll take a few days before you even get an offer normally and you'll probably have a back and forth about the value, so no time soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Do some research now on prices for similar make, model, year, spec etc. Remember that sticker prices are opening offers and not the true market value

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭zg3409

It could be days or weeks before you see any cash. Consider buying a banger to keep yourself on the road if you need car for work. I bought a 500 euro Toyota yaris and sold it again 3 weeks later for 500 euro, while my car was out of action. Check insurance costs if buying a car, and try get something with at least a months tax, valid nct and something you can sell on. You could also get a car loan for a new car and pay it back when money comes through.

If you intend borrowing a friends car make sure you have full insurance cover. You can hire cars by the week, but typically they are expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,429 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Was it a Zafira?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 sdfghyujikol

Okay so I got my offer, it's about 1000 eur cheaper the the cheapest car that class online.. Can I dispute that somehow? Also they are making me pay off the reminder of my insurance premium which I was paying monthly...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,429 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Okay so I got my offer, it's about 1000 eur cheaper the the cheapest car that class online.. Can I dispute that somehow? Also they are making me pay off the reminder of my insurance premium which I was paying monthly...

Yes appeal it. Have a look on the VRT calculator to see what Revenue calculate as the cars omsp, this should help your case if nearer your estimated value. If you initially were asked to put a value on the car when taking out the policy and you put it lower than market rate at the time that won't help your case.

https://www.ros.ie/evrt-enquiry/vrtenquiry.html?execution=e1s1

• Registered Users Posts: 4 sdfghyujikol

I don't understand how to do this at all, would it be worth my while contacting the solicitor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,491 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Also they are making me pay off the reminder of my insurance premium which I was paying monthly...

Paying the premium monthly usually involves a finance house lendng you the money by paying the premium so you are repaying a loan and they don't care if you have no car.

Unless you have cover to drive other cars and can borrow a car from someone, what you need to do is to suspend the policy by returning the cert and disc (if you salvaged it), that way the clock will stop on the policy but either way, you need to continue making the monthly payments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

They will try to lowball you - so you have to counter, because some people accept the initial offer. What you need to do is show them how much it would cost to buy your car with the equivalent age/mileage etc. You should check what your insurance policy says about fire and theft cover but typically it does say that they will cover the amount up to the maximum market value of your car. You then show them what is by pointing out similar examples online.

I once had to do this - they also offered 1k less. I found some examples and they upped the offer another 500 or they would find an equivalent replacement. I accepted the revised offer as I was planning to buy a different car anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Present them with realistic alternatives and they will listen. Remember that prices quoted online are opening offers and the seller will accept a lower offer, making that the correct market value for a cash buyer.

Insurers are entitled to ask for the full premium to be cleared in the event of a total loss, it will be in your policy document. The policy is deemed to be 'determined'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,491 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Insurers are entitled to ask for the full premium to be cleared in the event of a total loss, it will be in your policy document. The policy is deemed to be 'determined'

+1 OP, we don't know who you're insured with but Axa have this in their policy document, it's probably an industry standard ...
    In the event of a claim in the current period of insurance, you must pay the full yearly premium. We have the right to deduct any premium owed to us from any claim we may pay.

Advertisement