Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Received a quote and need advice

Options
  • 20-02-2021 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

Looking for advice here and I may be a bit naive.
    I don't own a car currently, I recently rented a van to help a friend move house. The house is down a cul de sac and its very tight. When leaving I had to reverse back as there wasn't enough room to turn. One car was parked more on the street than others due to traffic cones placed in the outside the house. I clipped the side of the car, didn't look too serious but a few scratches. My friend knocked in to the house, no one was there but he got her the next day. She said she hadn't noticed the damage and he said we would cover the cost of it.
    According to him there is a tiny dent above the wheel and a couple of small scratches. She was not too bothered and said she would get back to him.
    Anyway she dropped him in a quote this morning for €565. She left a note saying I don't mind if you through insurance or if you want me to get it fixed directly through the cheaper option.
    I'm not an expert on this as I've never owned a car in Ireland but can she not go through her insurance? Or do we have to suck it up and hand over the money? It certainly didn't seem like that much damage was done and half her car was parked on the street so not entirely my fault.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

€565 sounds decent to fix that damage.

Its 100%your fault. Not sure how you think its not. You hit a parked car.

Pay up, she shouldn't be stuck with a premium on her insurance for your careless driving. I'm not sure on the legal aspect but it's the morally decent thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

A respray of a panel is about €300 since you caused damage to the panel that will have to fixed, so the quote isn't too bad.

The other person can go through insurance, the price of the repair will be way more, or take cash for the quote that they got. There is no requirement for them to repair the damage as you are compensating them for the damage not to repair it

• Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Feenix wrote: »
    Anyway she dropped him in a quote this morning for €565. She left a note saying I don't mind if you through insurance or if you want me to get it fixed directly through the cheaper option.

What she seems to be saying is that the official (I assume written) quote will apply if it's done through insurance or, if you are paying out of your own pocket, she can get it done cheaper and will accept a lower amount. Meaning that she is prepared to accept a cash settlement for less than €565 and will get it fixed later, if ever.
    I'm not an expert on this as I've never owned a car in Ireland but can she not go through her insurance? Or do we have to suck it up and hand over the money? It certainly didn't seem like that much damage was done and half her car was parked on the street so not entirely my fault.

The accident was 100% your fault, why should she claim off her insurance and lose her no-claims bonus? And she might have third party cover only, in which case she has no insurance as far as you are concerned.

You rented a van whch presumably had third party insurance, what was the excess on the policy? You are in hock up to the excess, the insurance pays for above that. If the excess was more than €565, the insurance won't pay a penny, it's your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭karlitob

Looking for advice here and I may be a bit naive.
    I don't own a car currently, I recently rented a van to help a friend move house. The house is down a cul de sac and its very tight. When leaving I had to reverse back as there wasn't enough room to turn. One car was parked more on the street than others due to traffic cones placed in the outside the house. I clipped the side of the car, didn't look too serious but a few scratches. My friend knocked in to the house, no one was there but he got her the next day. She said she hadn't noticed the damage and he said we would cover the cost of it.
    According to him there is a tiny dent above the wheel and a couple of small scratches. She was not too bothered and said she would get back to him.

Cars are supposed to be parked in the street. They are not supposed to be parked on the footpath if that’s what you’re implying.

If you can’t get passed a car that it parked badly on a street doesn’t give you the right the hit the car nor does it impart contributory negligence on her.

You’re obviously a novice driver. You drove something you couldn’t handle. You damaged a park car. You are 100% at fault.

It’s not her fault that the cost of repair is so high, it’s neither of your faults that car insurance is so high.

You could ask her to get three quotes but she’s entitled to then go through your insurance, and go to a dealership no matter what the price.

Did it myself before. Backed into a parked car when I was reversing. Minimum damage - a few scratches and a small dent on a crappy old car. €300. I kept all correspondence through text and email - I haven’t hit a parked car since.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Feenix

karlitob wrote: »
    Cars are supposed to be parked in the street. They are not supposed to be parked on the footpath if that’s what you’re implying.

If you can’t get passed a car that it parked badly on a street doesn’t give you the right the hit the car nor does it impart contributory negligence on her.

You’re obviously a novice driver. You drove something you couldn’t handle. You damaged a park car. You are 100% at fault.

It’s not her fault that the cost of repair is so high, it’s neither of your faults that car insurance is so high.

You could ask her to get three quotes but she’s entitled to then go through your insurance, and go to a dealership no matter what the price.

Did it myself before. Backed into a parked car when I was reversing. Minimum damage - a few scratches and a small dent on a crappy old car. €300. I kept all correspondence through text and email - I haven’t hit a parked car since.

Her car was parked on the road. Theres a car park space outside her house but there were 3 traffic cones lined up there to stop others parking in it while shes not there. So all the other cars were lined up the same except hers and I clipped it reversing to back onto the main road. Yes it was my fault, i was driving. I think she should have been parked inside the space though, thats what the lines are for.
    Her car is quite battered anyway so Im just a bit weary of her taking the piss a bit but the price seems fair according to the advice here.
    I'll speak to her anyway on Monday, just thought there was no harm in asking on here first. Thanks for your help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭karlitob

Her car was parked on the road. Theres a car park space outside her house but there were 3 traffic cones lined up there to stop others parking in it while shes not there. So all the other cars were lined up the same except hers and I clipped it reversing to back onto the main road. Yes it was my fault, i was driving. I think she should have been parked inside the space though, thats what the lines are for.
    Her car is quite battered anyway so Im just a bit weary of her taking the piss a bit but the price seems fair according to the advice here.
    I'll speak to her anyway on Monday, just thought there was no harm in asking on here first. Thanks for your help.

There certainly is no harm asking here. Good advice - even if it’s not what you might want to hear.

As I’ve learned, these bumps and scraps etc are all part and parcel of owning/renting a car. It’s inevitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Feenix

coylemj wrote: »
    What she seems to be saying is that the official (I assume written) quote will apply if it's done through insurance or, if you are paying out of your own pocket, she can get it done cheaper and will accept a lower amount. Meaning that she is prepared to accept a cash settlement for less than €565 and will get it fixed later, if ever.

She dropped in two written quotes, 565 being the lesser of the two by a small amount. I assumed she meant that "going through insurance or getting it fixed directly with the cheaper option" was taking 565 in cash.

Advertisement