Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some advice or guidance please and thankyou.

Options
  • 29-01-2021 9:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭

Hi I have been working a dead end job since I done my leaving cert a decade ago.
    I only work 3 days a week and have alot of downtime and have no kids and live with parents.

I would like to take the step to further education and try to better myself and I am wondering the following

Is there degrees that can be got without having to go to university/college so I can keep working and study in my time off?

I am not entirely sure what I want to study but would like to know my options as I am cluless at the moment and don't know where to start on this.

Thank you

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

No harm to speak with the Adult Education person in your local ETB (was VEC).

NUI Galway

Distance Learning

The Open University

Some are more expensive than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭NutmegGirl

When life gets back to normal, and assuming you live close or in Dublin, TCD/UCD offer the option of doing modules in various courses, mainly in the Arts faculty, can do as many as you’d like
    Think Maynooth does it too
    It’s 1-2 hrs per week so you could fit it around your job
    You could see if you’d enjoy it, do it as a taster, get to go to the lectures, no pressure, see how much work is involved , TCD was about €300 per module for a year
    Think there’s also the option that you can also do the exams and essays that the undergrads do, costs a bit more but would let you know how you’d manage with a full course
    Both have offices who deal with adults returning or going for first time so you could email them and make enquiries, easy to find on their website
    I did some modules last year, plenty of adults doing it up to people in their 80’s so you wouldn’t stand out

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Hi I have been working a dead end job since I done my leaving cert a decade ago.
    I only work 3 days a week and have alot of downtime and have no kids and live with parents.

I would like to take the step to further education and try to better myself and I am wondering the following

Is there degrees that can be got without having to go to university/college so I can keep working and study in my time off

I am not entirely sure what I want to study but would like to know my options as I am cluless at the moment and don't know where to start on this.

Thank you

The I.T.s in Dublin certainly have evening courses that can lead to Dourse/Degree courses over time. Really you need to have an idea of what you would like, Construction, Law, Business etc.
    What is your "dead end job" Would there be scope for advancement in that area if you had qualifications?
    For example if working at ground level in a supermarket. You could do a Retail Management course, Security Management with Health and Safety etc.
    You have ground level experience which allied to a qualification would be welcomed by employers.
    Have you discussed options with your employer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

You’ve some great advice already. Look out for Access courses - these are designed for people returning to education and might ease you back into study after a break. Some universities have mature students open days too. Many courses only require a few hours of lessons per week and the rest of the course you study in your own time so you should be able to continue to work part time.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

OP I'm a little bit similar to you in that I'm in a job going nowhere. Applied and got accepted to a part time business course in UCD that offers the possibility of getting a Level 8 degree after 4 years. Attendance is only 2 days a month and the fees are reasonabale.

https://www.ucd.ie/quinn/courses/part-timediplomadegreedbsbbs/

• Advertisement
Advertisement