Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The F1 Good bye Thread

Options
  • 07-12-2020 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

End of the season we are Losing possibly 4 from the current line up and May a few others

Grosjean : His time was probably up really any way. He did some good things for Haas pointing out correctly that the car design was completely wrong last season until Haas actually changed it , Didn’t get the sign of from F1 that all drivers want , Crossing the finish line in a clean race.

Kevin Magnussen: This one did surprise me I figured HAAS would keep at least one experienced driver , and to be fair to Magnussen he is a hell of a started always gains places and one of the most difficult People to pass on track even in the crap box that the HAAS currently is. Would have been nice to see what more he could have done with a slightly better car. Think he does rub people up the wrong way.

Danii Kvyat : This guy has had the most sea saw of careers , from early promotion to Redbull to out scoring how Riccardo in his first season ( I don’t care how he got there he did it ) , To a really rash decision to kick him out for Max , Get dumped completely . Been brought back for One Race scored a point (USA I think) , dumped again . Brought back for 2019, got on to the podium again. Think that makes it only Him and Vettel that have got Both a Toro Rosso/Alpha Tauri and a Redbull on to the podium. This year he has been outperformed by Pierre Gasly but he has had a really good season for a guy that was pretty much told he had no seat next year. I have said it before any Race Gasly was off or out this season Kvyat turned up in the points with some good drives. Imola was brilliant by him. I wonder will he get brought back again. Tsunoda does have a job ahead filling in that number 2 seat as The Alpha Tauri is a pretty good Car this year. Really competitive over the second half.

Albon , everything happens in Threes . The Third driver Redbull have burned in that number 2 seat. It could have gone so differently for him this year. That First race was his until Lewis bumped him off. He is very poor in qualifying, but his race craft is good when he is not complaining. He has got some great overtakes this year but its always too far back the field. If Redbull want Constructors & Driver Championships, he does have to become the third Victim of Marko. As nice a guy as Albon seems I do think he has peaked in F1. Gasly is better and so is Kvyat by a good margin as well I suspect

Perez : I would say it does hurt a lot him losing his seat , I mean he is having the season of his life . Great he got the win. This is one of the ones that shows it is a business at the end. Vettel has had a crap season and looks way off what one would expect from a quad world champion. 2 good races all year. Perez has been so consistent it looks harsh on him. If he is gone It maybe only one season. I suppose Redbull must weigh up do they want to risk him against Max. As clean as he has been this season Perez has in recent years put a teammate into the wall, and pretty much rammed a driver he was struggling to pass. So, he has a dark side to him.

I do think Kimi Should walk way as well . I mean his time is done . Gio has even got the upper hand on him in the last few races.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,129 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

IIRC Max hit Ric twice.one in Hungary and one other I can't remember where but it was a first lap again

• Registered Users Posts: 15,560 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Joeface wrote: »
    End of the season we are Losing possibly 4 from the current line up and May a few others

Grosjean : His time was probably up really any way. He did some good things for Haas pointing out correctly that the car design was completely wrong last season until Haas actually changed it , Didn’t get the sign of from F1 that all drivers want , Crossing the finish line in a clean race.

Kevin Magnussen: This one did surprise me I figured HAAS would keep at least one experienced driver , and to be fair to Magnussen he is a hell of a started always gains places and one of the most difficult People to pass on track even in the crap box that the HAAS currently is. Would have been nice to see what more he could have done with a slightly better car. Think he does rub people up the wrong way.

Danii Kvyat : This guy has had the most sea saw of careers , from early promotion to Redbull to out scoring how Riccardo in his first season ( I don’t care how he got there he did it ) , To a really rash decision to kick him out for Max , Get dumped completely . Been brought back for One Race scored a point (USA I think) , dumped again . Brought back for 2019, got on to the podium again. Think that makes it only Him and Vettel that have got Both a Toro Rosso/Alpha Tauri and a Redbull on to the podium. This year he has been outperformed by Pierre Gasly but he has had a really good season for a guy that was pretty much told he had no seat next year. I have said it before any Race Gasly was off or out this season Kvyat turned up in the points with some good drives. Imola was brilliant by him. I wonder will he get brought back again. Tsunoda does have a job ahead filling in that number 2 seat as The Alpha Tauri is a pretty good Car this year. Really competitive over the second half.

Albon , everything happens in Threes . The Third driver Redbull have burned in that number 2 seat. It could have gone so differently for him this year. That First race was his until Lewis bumped him off. He is very poor in qualifying, but his race craft is good when he is not complaining. He has got some great overtakes this year but its always too far back the field. If Redbull want Constructors & Driver Championships, he does have to become the third Victim of Marko. As nice a guy as Albon seems I do think he has peaked in F1. Gasly is better and so is Kvyat by a good margin as well I suspect

Perez : I would say it does hurt a lot him losing his seat , I mean he is having the season of his life . Great he got the win. This is one of the ones that shows it is a business at the end. Vettel has had a crap season and looks way off what one would expect from a quad world champion. 2 good races all year. Perez has been so consistent it looks harsh on him. If he is gone It maybe only one season. I suppose Redbull must weigh up do they want to risk him against Max. As clean as he has been this season Perez has in recent years put a teammate into the wall, and pretty much rammed a driver he was struggling to pass. So, he has a dark side to him.

I do think Kimi Should walk way as well . I mean his time is done . Gio has even got the upper hand on him in the last few races.

I agree about Kimi. It's time for him to retire now and stop filling a seat that another young talent or decent current driver could be in. Kim's best days are far behind him now and he is not going anywhere in the Alfa. If he is just driving for fun I am sure he could find other ways to do it instead of filling a very precious F1 seat.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭RonanG86

One wonders why Alfa re-hired Kimi. I can't imagine their Ferrari overlords insisted on it (unless he has pictures of Binotto in a compromising position with an inflatable rhinoceros or something) and they're so far off he's not giving them any extra competitive edge. And I don't think that'll change in 2021 given the stability in the rules. So surely they should look to pluck a younger driver?

He's hardly bringing money in?

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭thefa

Joeface wrote: »

The gap has closed compared to last year but Kimi has still beaten Gio well this season overall, even if the points don’t necessarily reflect it. Had a very strong middle stint of the season where he was unlucky not to pick up more points in that car.

I was surprised that Gio got the extension as he doesn’t appear to have made the progress you would want to justify ignoring other Ferrari Academy options. They’ve since placed Schumacher at Haas but have no shortage of options to replace Gio in 2022 if there’s limited improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

Kimi's still driving well and getting the most out of the car. The team are keen on keeping him so I'm not sure why he should retire as some kind of act of charity to a younger driver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

quokula wrote: »
    Kimi's still driving well and getting the most out of the car.

I agree, I couldn't see another driver performing much better in that car right now give its limitations. And I guess with his experience Kimi is able to provide a lot more feedback about its performance than Giovinazzi can, or does, which is important to the team if they want to progress at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Is this the F1 Goodbye thread?....Has Mazepin been added to the list yet? :pac:

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭CRI0ST0IR

There is going to be a lot of tears Sunday and farewell messages over the radios.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭CRI0ST0IR

astrofluff wrote: »

Hasn't even started on the list yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,560 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

astrofluff wrote: »

Lol. I think they actually have to be in F1 to be able to say goodbye to them.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Grosjean: Deserved to leave after his first stint - i think Brundle commented that when he spun unforced in one race that year that he was just exhausted - he wasn't even travelling at speed, and actually blamed Button and Lewis when he took them both out in Spa. Deserved to be sent off again after his first lap nutcase antics when he came back, but for some totally unknown reason he wasn't. Mildly outscored Kimi for a few races and that's about as good as he's got, although in some quarters apparently that was the second coming of Prost. The rest of the time he's a first lap nutcase, or making unforced errors, or crashing into his teammate. His horror crash this year was something nobody wants to see, but if we're honest - he caused that crash himself by skewing wildly across the track without looking. Mirrors are no excuse - I know drivers can turn their head to the right because I watched Schumacher do it when he was deliberately driving Rubens into that barrier.

Kvyat/Albon: Both good examples of why entering the Red Bull junior driver programme is a bad idea. Not that long ago when Seb was dominating championships and the young driver programme had talent to burn it looked like a never ending dynasty. Now their only good driver is Max, and he wasn't even part of their programme - they snatched him from Mercedes. Even if they did have good drivers, the way Marko treats them you'd have to be mad to sign their paperwork.

Perez: Like the Hulk and Kobayashi, should have had a much better run of cars in his time in F1 than he did. His win this year was well overdue and hopefully he'll have more chances again.

Kimi/Vettel: both should retire. Kimi has nothing to prove and can't be getting anything out of driving that car apart from he's obviously someone who'll go crazy if he doesn't have a car to drive. Should go to Indy where he'd probably thrive. Vettel ... just spoiling that legacy the last few years.

Advertisement