Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What would you like as a gift if not cash?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Not engaged or married but would definitely prefer cash gifts, or if pushed, a voucher for somewhere, for me to pick bits myself. Presents can be so hit and miss for personal style, colour etc. For example, a friend recently received a wedding present of a v snazzy lamp, it's black and silver, very shiny and modern looking, but their whole house is done in white and pastels, floral, rustic style so it just looks silly and out of place in every room, so it's stayed in its box and was a waste of maybe €100 or so. Same goes with good quality sheets etc, the idea's nice but I think these days people want to pick them themselves. Lots would rather a voucher to pick their own kitchen appliances to go with their kitchen, than get a red kettle off someone and a yellow smeg toaster from someone else.

Engagement presents I think are a whole other category of junk, I guess because people who do buy, rightly don't want to spend a whole lot, it's just a token of about €20 as they know they'll be giving a wedding gift. There always seems to be lots of champagne flute sets (how many different pairs do you need?!) and photo frames. In my own circle of friends, for engagements we've all thrown in a few quid towards a hotel voucher for a break away, so at least they're getting something good, rather than 5 or 6 wee token presents.

Generally I'd rather cash to put to use, than a load of clutter taking up space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭scrumqueen

I know there are downsides to vouchers but I think a nice voucher would be for Irelands Blue Book.
    They are Irish Country Houses and usually a bit on the pricier side to stay in so a voucher would certainly cover some of the cost and make it a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 La.m

I've only ever given cash but my parents have twice grouped together with others to buy the wedding couple a Webber BBQ. Way too expensive for just one person to buy but those kinds of big presents can go down well if a couple of people group together. I personally wouldn't risk it though unless it could be returned for cash or you knew the couple would definitely love it.

Advertisement