Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tim Smith (Cardiacs) dead at 59

Options
  • 22-07-2020 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭

RIP Tim. I know he wasn't well and hadn't been for a while. Absolutely loved these guys since the first time I heard them.

https://pitchfork.com/news/cardiacs-singer-tim-smith-dead-at-59/
    Tim Smith, the singer of cult British group Cardiacs, died Tuesday night (July 22), The Guardian reports, citing Smith’s bandmates and label. He was 59. Although no cause of death has been provided, Smith had experienced health problems since suffering a heart attack and stroke in 2008. “We are comforted by the fact that he left us quietly, albeit suddenly,” said Mary Wren, of Cardiacs’ label Alphabet Business Concern.

Loved and hated by listeners and critics, Cardiacs amassed a cult following in the 1980s, pivoting between prog and punk-fuelled rock in audacious, sprawling, sometimes orchestral compositions. Their live shows staged absurdist spectacles drawing from musical theater and provincial British twee. They continued to release records into the 1990s, attracting fans in Blur and Faith No More, and toured until 2007, with Smith backed by a rotating cast of musicians.

If you're not too aware of their stuff their music was like marmite. Might be a bit much for some people but I thought they were incredible. The album 'Sing To God' is a masterpiece in avant garde prog punk.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Ah Funkfield, it's a very sad day. RIP Tim. Was very lucky to have seen Cardiacs live on a few occasions.

Tim Smith's music bends my brain in the best possible way. Euphoric.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

He was definitely some type of twisted genius. I never got to see them live unfortunately.

Tonight I'll have few beers and eek out very bit of live footage I can find.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

i'd been hoping he'd eventually get back home and somehow start recording again. very sad

• Registered Users Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

A true legend.

His type and that band only come around very infrequently. I've lost count on the number of other bands and singers that claim them as an influence.

I remember reading in 2008 that he'd had a "heart attack" and thought it was suitably ironic for the front man of a band called 'Cardiacs'. In fact, I think they may have made a comment about that on their website. Their label, the "Alphabet Business Concern" (really just the band themselves) made a remark that he was just "being lazy" and he better get well soon, or else.

After over ten years of being seriously ill with a rare disease that affects only a fraction of people, I suppose there was never going to be a recovery and even though their music effectively ended over a decade ago, one never gave up hope that they'd get back together in some form and knock out another record.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

they were halfway through an album in 2008

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

maccored wrote: »
    they were halfway through an album in 2008

Yep, all ready bar vocals and mixing :(

Advertisement