Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you take after anyone?

• 26-03-2016 6:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭

My mam and I get on very well but personality wise, I am probably more like my dad and in looks I do resemble my aunt, his sister, when she was younger.

For some reason this question really use to annoy my granny. If anyone would say that one of the grandchildren takes after someone, she would say "she's not like anyone else, she's like herself" :)

Do you take after anyone in your family like an aunt, uncle, sibling, parent etc or not at all?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Your granny was right.

Grannys are always right.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

No, I'm like myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Your granny was missing the point. You can be yourself while still taking after someone else.
    I've begun to notice that my personality is becoming (or has already become) very similar to that of my Da. I probably have a few of my Ma's traits too of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Xaracatz

I was always very much my dad incarnate. I take a lot of my features from him, and a lot of my personality and traits.

For a long time, I took almost nothing from my mum, who is a saint in human form, and has a lot of common practical sense, and who I am very close to.

Only in recent years, I've realised that my sense of humour - which can be a bit obscure - is the same as my mum's. We both crease up with laughter over stuff that other people would consider completely random and not funny at all. It's great! I'm very lucky with my parents!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

RealJohn wrote: »
    Your granny was missing the point. You can be yourself while still taking after someone else.
    I've begun to notice that my personality is becoming (or has already become) very similar to that of my Da. I probably have a few of my Ma's traits too of course.

Ah yea, i think it just probably got on her nerves after having seven children of her own and loads of grandchildren and people saying "he/she looks like her father" and then other people disagreeing and saying "no they look like their mothers side" etc.

But I was just asking who people themself feel they are more like in personality and looks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Very similar to my dad, he was a laidback happy sort. The rest take after the mother poor sods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

I bear a striking similarity to the milkman.

I'm very like my Dad in personality, I look exactly like my sister when she was my age, and I wish I was more like my Mum in most ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I'm like my late Dad in every way. Even though I'm female, the older I get the more I look like him. Sometimes so much so that I'll catch sight of my face in a window or mirror, and get a start. I have his mannerisms, eg sitting with my arms folded, or letting out a string of tuts when someone is telling me something bad that happened. I have his square hands in a smaller version. Like him, I've always had an avid interest in true crime. I also have his laugh, and laugh at inappropriate stuff, as he did. When he was sick in hospital, he told me we were like two peas in a pod :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I'm the stamp of my mother, apparently. Which, if I'm being honest, for all her faults, the one thing I can't fault her on was how she aged. Before she passed away, and when I was an older teenager, she looked young enough to be my older sister.

That aside, I wouldn't say I'm like either of them personality wise. My dad was very calm, took a lot for him to lose his temper but he when he lost it he really lost it and it'd take him days to calm down. My mother was full of hot air. She'd be constantly stressed out, making threats she'd never follow through on.
    I'm a mix of both, I'm full of hot air too, I'm firey and quick tempered, but I follow through on what I say. I'm stubborn like my dad. God this is a hard question!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

They filled me with the faults they had, and added some extra just for me.

My parents were always very undramatic and easy-going. I definitely inherited an aversion to drama from them. I spent a lot of time with my grandparents as a child, and I think I probably gained a few personality traits from them too, like my granddad's odd sense of humour and love of books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I look identical to my grandfather. The one born in 1895. So I get to look at myself in sepia and realise that the dark and cheeky smile is not mine own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

Anxiety from my grandmother and dad.

Grandmother - specifically panic attacks in similar situations / similar reactions to certain types of people / places / situations

Dad - Can be really loud and full of chat in situations / with people we feel comfortable.
    Then completely avoid situations that make us feel uncomfortable, don't know what to say to arrogant assholes because we inwardly loathe them.

Apart from that which I suppose could be called hereditary mental health issues, I'm like no-one else in my family at all. In fact I think they find me different. I'm intelligent which causes me to research things or read in situations much more than others do and they think it's strange that I do that. I take nothing at face value, and they see no reason to question things, when I think it's strange that people don't question things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Fred West.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

stimpson wrote: »
    I bear a striking similarity to the milkman.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

My da's uncle I've been told.

My grandad was apparently jealous of him as he was the successful, intelligent, well spoken one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,203 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Much as I almost hate to admit it, as I always promised myself I'd never be anything like them, I definitely took after my parents - I'm the spit of my old man, have inherited his health problems too, right down to the fact that when I was going for a hip operation, the nurse thought I was my old man because our medical records were identical apart from our date of birth! :D

I inherited my passion for education from my mother, it's about all we have in common to talk about these days. I think I was definitely influenced though by my neighbour who I like to credit for taking the edge off the hard nut personality I inherited off my parents. My granny though on my fathers side was a hoot, I never figured out how she was my fathers mother when they were the complete opposite of each other! My uncle told me once though "Your father was a briar too!". I didn't know what he meant at the time. I do now - stubborn arsehole! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Bit of both
    Small bits of my mother...but massively like the father In looks/humour (Semi baldness included :(:( )

though seemingly like the grandfather (who died before I can remember)...in terms of personality and approach to life/important manners

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Button_y

Looks I inherited from my mother so much so that people who have seen photos of my mother when she was younger have mistaken us and wondered who was with me or when was it taken.

Because I look so like her, people assume I'm like her in personality but in reality I'm probably more like my dad although I try hard not to take on his failings that I know are there with me - addictions, anger issues and depression and I try to channel the creativeness and intelligence I got from him.

Its funny seen it from the other side, my son is sooo like me in personality I could murder him :D and I understand him in equal measures, my daughter looks like me but personality wise its like a copy of my husband!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭caille

I have bits of several relatives. I am dark haired and dark eyed, like my grandmother, long limbed and tallish like my grandfather. As both of parents are fair haired and stockily built, I used to wonder where I came from but when you see photos of your grandparents and see yourself in them, it's fascinating and humbling, like the past come back to life in myself.

Personality wise, I have my grandmother's (on Dad's side) manic energy and stubbornness and my grandfather's (also on Dad's side) addictive personality, which can be hard but easier to deal with now as I get older.

All in all, I am very proud of what I am and who I come from, it's taken me years to understand and accept but nice now to be in this situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

I have my mum's heart and my dad's wit I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

You know what though?
    My dad was tall, over 6ft. My mom was about 5'7. My brother is 6'3. My dads nephews are all really tall. Myself and my aunts daughter are the same height, out of 23 first cousins, we're the shortest. When the lads were carrying my fathers coffin the undertaker told my brother and my cousin (the same height pretty much) to Come to the front because the shortest had to lead at the front. I bet it's the only time two 6'1/6'2/6'3 (whatever he was) lads would ever be told they were the shortest.

And yet. Here I am. Standing tall at 5'3. I'd like to know where did I get that from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭caille

Jeez, that's a bummer, usually when the mother is tallish (regardless of the father's height), her children are normally taller than her. Unfortunately genetics will do what it wants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I'm like what would happen if my mum and dad had a child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

I look a lot like my dad's mother, apparently. She died very young, when my aunt was just a baby.

So my aunt never knew her mother, has no memories of ever seeing her face. I always wonder whether it's strange for her to hear comments about how much I look like her. Whether she ever tries to see her mother in me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

I always thought my dad was a bit of a grumpy git, looking for ways to save money constantly going around turning off lights unplugging things, turning down heating. Giving out about politicians, clergy, everyone was fair game. Only ever watched the news.

Guess what I am turning into him, much to my wife's dismay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

The only physical trait from my mother was her curly hair and colour of my eyes.
    I look very much like my father and am just as emtionally detached and screwed up as him.
    Thing is I am aware of it so can slowly work on it.
    My father would do almost anything for us but he has always been emtionally detached and hard to talk to.
    He likes cameras and photos. I also like art and photography so we have a common ground.
    My mother can bake (like wedding cakes proffesionally) but not a bone in me can bake or cook ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I have a bit of a dilemma.

I would like to take after my dads side. All nice sane people. Trouble is they all die before hitting 65.
    And my mums side all turn in to loopers...but they live in to their 90s.

I am hoping that I will get the best of both worlds and live to my 90s sanely.
    Chances are I will die a looper at 61. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

One of the girls from bewitched fights like her da..... Apparently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

It depends on who you ask....I would have my Dad's dark colouring (sallow skin, brown eyes and hair) but some would say my features are my Mum's.

I'm also told I resemble my granny (Mum's mum) when she was young....which is extremely flattering as everyone also talks about how pretty she was!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,203 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It depends on who you ask....I would have my Dad's dark colouring (sallow skin, brown eyes and hair) but some would say my features are my Mum's.

I'm also told I resemble my granny (Mum's mum) when she was young....which is extremely flattering as everyone also talks about how pretty she was!

Your granny wasn't actually Audrey Hepburn by any chance? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Menas wrote: »
    I have a bit of a dilemma.

I would like to take after my dads side. All nice sane people. Trouble is they all die before hitting 65.
    And my mums side all turn in to loopers...but they live in to their 90s.

I am hoping that I will get the best of both worlds and live to my 90s sanely.
    Chances are I will die a looper at 61. :mad:

Similar to me. Mother's side are all long living, quiet, stoic sorts, many of them gifted with practical hands. My father's side are all amateur dramatists, who could spend their entire (short) lives talking shíte by the fire and having breakdowns in the process. Wiring plugs could best most of them!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I've been told that I look and sound like my father when he was younger. Personality-wise: nobody, no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I think I look quite like my Mam but some have said I'm like my Dad. I'm definitely following my Dad's side of the family and his fathers when it comes to being a short arse. My Dad is shorter than his brothers and has a head of white hair whereas his brothers are tall and and balding with colour left in the bits they have!

In terms of personality, I've got a head like a sieve so that's definitely from my Dad. Thankfully I didn't inherit the stubborn I'm-never-wrong trait that he has. It's very frustrating when he has a few pints in him!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Your granny wasn't actually Audrey Hepburn by any chance? :D

Haha no, but she was just as pretty apparently!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Yeah, me mates bird :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I look exactly like my da. My gf showed a photo taken of my da when he was about 20 to her mother a while back and the mother said "I've never seen HalloweenJack with a beard before". The photo was obivously taken in the early 80s.

Personality wise, I'm a lot like my mother and others on her side of the family, very calm, introverted, independent, happy to be alone with my thoughts and don't feel the need to be the centre of attention. I am a lot like my granda too in that I don't take things too seriously and love being silly with people I'm comfortable with.

I have inherited a few mannerisms and traits from my dad, which makes me go with nature as the winner in the "nature vs. nurture" debate as my parents seperated when I was 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

boobar wrote: »
    I always thought my dad was a bit of a grumpy git, looking for ways to save money constantly going around turning off lights unplugging things, turning down heating. .

How annoying I must have been, leaving every light on, shoes lying around the place, schoolbag etc. My OH is the worst for leaving lights in and forgetting to turn off the heating so karma has come back to me in the end :)

I used to play music in my room at full volume. A couple of times my dad turned the electricity off at the trip switch in protest. In fairness I get that from my mam. She always played music in the house.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭hometruths

We just had a baby four days ago, been reading the parenting forum avidly.

Nothing in there as moving as this thread!

Advertisement