Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can careless

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

73Cat wrote: »
    This bugged me so much that I asked an American friend why he said he "could care less". He said he meant he could care less, but wasn't bothered going to the effort of doing so. Still sounds wrong to me though.

The kind of excuse someone uses when they don't like admitting they're wrong...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

I was saying what the Americans say is "I could care less" not "I can care less", which is how the OP phrases it.
    OP said that the first mistake has been happening for a while but he's recently started hearing the second.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭liz lemoncello

DareGod wrote: »

I mean, what's the next development? "I canless" ?

I imagine the next development will involve the poor, misued apostrophe.
    "I canle'ss" or something equally hideous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I dont even give a care!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,093 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

'MURICA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

I "Can” or "Could" means you do care a little due to phrase structure. I "Do" not care, would be better.

Huh?

"I could not care less" means there is no possibility that you could care less, you literally care so little it's not possible to care less.

"I don't care less" implies there's a possibiloty you could care less but choose not to.

But anyway, "I can care less" is also correct if used sarcastically, think of it as short for "Like I can care less" implying again the person cares so little they can't care any less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

So there is no space in AH for the Trivial Annoyances thread and yet here we have a discussion about a silly phrase.

I read the reason for that thread's closure and there actually was space in AH for the Trivial Annoyances thread. What there wasn't space for was how the thread was being abused - despite repeated warnings.

Back on topic, the "silliness" of the phrase is the precise point of this thread.

Really?

\/
    \/

Yes. Almost. Need to vent first.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,714 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

There's alot of it about.

• Advertisement

73Cat wrote: »
    This bugged me so much that I asked an American friend why he said he "could care less". He said he meant he could care less, but wasn't bothered going to the effort of doing so. Still sounds wrong to me though.

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

My name is Maximus Decimus Careless, guardian of the english language of the west, General of the Chambers dictionary, loyal servant to the Oxford comma,. Father to a murdered phrase, husband to a murdered colloquialism And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

I was saying what the Americans say is "I could care less" not "I can care less", which is how the OP phrases it.
    NiallBoo wrote: »
    OP said that the first mistake has been happening for a while but he's recently started hearing the second.

Summary of the OP:

"I could not care less"

was bastardised into

"I could care less"

which has now been bastardised into

"I can careless."

...with the word "careless" being used in the place of the two words "care" and "less" used in succession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

• Registered Users Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

OP, I'd totally agree with you if only you'd edit your post to say 'care less' instead of 'careless'. The way you have written it is a bit careless clumsy. ;)
    I always thought "I could care less" was a shortened way of saying "Like I could care less" or "As if I could care less" sarcastically.

Or maybe people should use the sufficient words in order to be understood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Summary of the OP:

"I could not care less"

was bastardised into

"I could care less"

which has now been bastardised into

"I can careless."

...with the word "careless" being used in the place of the two words "care" and "less" used in succession.

I see. Well that's just bollocks for sure.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

It doesn't phase me
    If I would have known
    I am laying on the couch

Ahhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

David Mitchell agrees...and even illustrates with a graph :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om7O0MFkmpw

I mean, what's the next development? "I canless" ?

Then they might drop the last S just to make it:

canles.

And they keep getting smaller and smaller until they are left with the L in the middle.

And then someone notices "oh look I can make an L with my thumb and finger!!!!

And I just hope I am there when someone tells them "no sorry that was taken already"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Another example of "American English" at work....

Heard many Americans asking people if they speak American.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

OP, I'd totally agree with you if only you'd edit your post to say 'care less' instead of 'careless'. The way you have written it is a bit careless clumsy. ;)

I think you've been a bit careless in your reading of the Op ........ the point he was making is the mistaken use of "careless" instead of "care less".

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Another example of "American English" at work....

Heard many Americans asking people if they speak American.

Dey do do dat dough don't dey dough.

• Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

i r baboon

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭holy guacamole

American English is spreading like a terrible plague and stuff like that mentioned by the OP will become commonplace across Europe before too long.

Already seeing people using the dumbed down US spelling for words like 'realise' and dropping the 'u' out of words like 'neighbour' and it annoys me more than it should.

In much the same way that Shakespearian English seems outdated so the generations of the future will look back on the English we use today and laugh at how quaint it sounds while they communicate with a series of grunts and farts.

• Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

it is give a **** what people say , the main thing is what interest or funny, the rest can also remain silent

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭acon2119

What about the idiots who say..... I love him/her to "bits". How do you love someone to bits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Standardized, Standardization... love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,714 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

PARlance wrote: »
    Standardized, Standardization... love it.

The -ize spelling is often incorrectly seen as an Americanism in Britain. However, the Oxford English Dictionary (OED) recommends -ize and notes that the -ise spelling is from French: "The suffix...whatever the element to which it is added, is in its origin the Greek -ιζειν, Latin -izāre; and, as the pronunciation is also with z, there is no reason why in English the special French spelling should be followed, in opposition to that which is at once etymological and phonetic." The OED lists the -ise form separately, as an alternative.

Publications by Oxford University Press (OUP)—such as Henry Watson Fowler's A Dictionary of Modern English Usage, Hart's Rules, and The Oxford Guide to English Usage also recommend -ize.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

less

Advertisement